10+ Year Old Account

Question about the pet souls...

I've always been meaning to ask this question and since I'm thinking about getting back into the game and my feigning interest in other games may be a good opportunity.

Anywho the question I was wondering...I notice how the lower level pets stop growing at a certain level till you spec into a stronger one, can I assume this means the weaker ones are useless and since they're lower level if you even sneeze on them they die?

I'm just looking to a make build and I want to build a Harbinger, problem is some things have changed with some of the Mage souls and the old build I used to like isn't as appealing anymore. So basically I was wondering if the pet would still have any use as I level beyond 30 or am I better specing out of it now before I hit 30+ with my mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    I've always been meaning to ask this question and since I'm thinking about getting back into the game and my feigning interest in other games may be a good opportunity.

Anywho the question I was wondering...I notice how the lower level pets stop growing at a certain level till you spec into a stronger one, can I assume this means the weaker ones are useless and since they're lower level if you even sneeze on them they die?

I'm just looking to a make build and I want to build a Harbinger, problem is some things have changed with some of the Mage souls and the old build I used to like isn't as appealing anymore. So basically I was wondering if the pet would still have any use as I level beyond 30 or am I better specing out of it now before I hit 30+ with my mage?
    They still have use but they can't effectively tank. That being said If you take for example mage pet souls like Elementalist. Sure yea you may outgrow that tank pet if you are going hard into say stormcaller but the damage you do will enable you to kill the mobs before they kill your pet. So the pet basically just keeps them off you long enough for you to burn it down. A full pet spec will usually kill slower, so the pet needs to stay alive longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    They still have use but they can't effectively tank. That being said If you take for example mage pet souls like Elementalist. Sure yea you may outgrow that tank pet if you are going hard into say stormcaller but the damage you do will enable you to kill the mobs before they kill your pet. So the pet basically just keeps them off you long enough for you to burn it down. A full pet spec will usually kill slower, so the pet needs to stay alive longer.
    What if I were like full on Harbinger or Arbiter? Where I could hold agro and not need a take...would like the level 30 dps minion be worth keeping after 30 as long as they don't get hit?

What if I were like full on Harbinger or Arbiter? Where I could hold agro and not need a take...would like the level 30 dps minion be worth keeping after 30 as long as they don't get hit?
    Not really. I'm not sure minions aggro mobs, but if you're using a level 30 minion at level 50-60, it's going to provide an extremely negligible damage increase at best. I don't even think it would be able to hit the target (assuming that hit calculation for minions is calculated similarly to that of players).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not really. I'm not sure minions aggro mobs, but if you're using a level 30 minion at level 50-60, it's going to provide an extremely negligible damage increase at best. I don't even think it would be able to hit the target (assuming that hit calculation for minions is calculated similarly to that of players).
    Dang...I don't quite understand why they limit pets like this...I mean when you spec higher into the tree they get better pets...I don't see why we couldn't have weaker yet actually feasible pets?

Dang...I don't quite understand why they limit pets like this...I mean when you spec higher into the tree they get better pets...I don't see why we couldn't have weaker yet actually feasible pets?
    From what it seems, they want pets only to be applicable for the level range they're earned in, not forever. They're supposed to be for that soul only, meaning that if you're not speccing deep into a pet soul, then you're not going to really be using pets.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what it seems, they want pets only to be applicable for the level range they're earned in, not forever. They're supposed to be for that soul only, meaning that if you're not speccing deep into a pet soul, then you're not going to really be using pets.
    Yeah I figured as much...I guess I'm going to have to sacrifice if I want to keep a pet. Either way it's time for me to move on from WoW for good I think and will be giving Rift a go again.

Yeah I figured as much...I guess I'm going to have to sacrifice if I want to keep a pet. Either way it's time for me to move on from WoW for good I think and will be giving Rift a go again.
    Yeah, you're SoL if you want to play harb and have a pet. I mean, you can totally have a harb build and a necro/elementalist build and swap between them : P

But beyond that, there's no way I can think of making a hybrid build like that work well at all : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you're SoL if you want to play harb and have a pet. I mean, you can totally have a harb build and a necro/elementalist build and swap between them : P

But beyond that, there's no way I can think of making a hybrid build like that work well at all : /
    I wish there was more Unholy Death Knight like classes out there in mmo's...it's like no one wants to build a melee class with a pet.

Mind you, this build I'm trying to build doesn't have to mach the top DPS...I don't care...all I care about mostly these days is PvP and I don't care if I have the most optimal spec...I just like to build stuff I have fun with and don't care about arena or rated PvP stuff.

I think I found a build I'd like...and I have all the defensive stuff of Harbinger...could I be okay?
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2014-11-14 at 07:58 PM.

I leveled as Harb/Chloro. You don't need a pet as your veil heals you more than enough to take on several mobs at once.

I wish there was more Unholy Death Knight like classes out there in mmo's...it's like no one wants to build a melee class with a pet.
    Beastmaster soul for warrior!

Mind you, this build I'm trying to build doesn't have to mach the top DPS...I don't care...all I care about mostly these days is PvP and I don't care if I have the most optimal spec...I just like to build stuff I have fun with and don't care about arena or rated PvP stuff.
    I mean...you can make one, I just can't see it working in any capacity. It's going to be pretty horribly gimped because your options are

1. Go deep Harb and light Necro, having a useless pet and missing out on much better talents from other trees.
    2. Go deep Necro and light Harb, have solid pets and ranged, but almost no melee ability.
    3. Go hybrid between the two, with ineffective pets and very lackluster melee ability damage.

I think I found a build I'd like...and I have all the defensive stuff of Harbinger...could I be okay?
    Wouldn't hurt to try it! I don't see why not, but I'd make sure to set expectations low going in.

There's also Druid for Cleric, they're melee with a pet no? Totally badass for levelling I read, albeit flawed at endgame?

Quote Originally Posted by gonterf View Post
    There's also Druid for Cleric, they're melee with a pet no? Totally badass for levelling I read, albeit flawed at endgame?
    Unless something dramatically changed in NT, they're pretty freaking OP for leveling. Leveling mine through SL was a mixture of, "AoE ALL THE THINGS!" and "Kill ALL THE ELITES!" because their damage while leveling is pretty great (especially with their tank pets AoE toggled) and with points in sent they can keep their pet up pretty easily.

Unless something dramatically changed in NT, they're pretty freaking OP for leveling. Leveling mine through SL was a mixture of, "AoE ALL THE THINGS!" and "Kill ALL THE ELITES!" because their damage while leveling is pretty great (especially with their tank pets AoE toggled) and with points in sent they can keep their pet up pretty easily.
    Yea no kidding. I'm leveling my cleric alt as a pretty much pure Defiler and dumping any extra points in cabalist and I just totally destroy everything.

In regards to Harbiter spec the OP mentioned, thats more than enough survivability. You don't need a pet. But if you WANT a pet you could go Harb/elementalist as they do synergize fairly well. Harbiter is a common leveling spec though the Callbiter has really taken over that top solo leveling spec.