Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Yeah but the Vikings were there even before that. Not to mention the indigenous people.
    And Europeans from around France long before them.

it's about as equally stupid as saying Columbus discovered america. approximately 10,000 years after america was actually discovered.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    he's wrong the native americans discovered america. they were there before everyone else.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

People still think Colombus discovered America? That's sad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    sadly our schools in our area still teach that colombus discovered america first for some reason.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Show me a map of the Americas pre-Columbus.

What is discovery without documentation.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Show me a map of the Americas pre-Columbus.

What is discovery without documentation.
    there are sites in canada dating from around the time of leif erickson and the vikings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    there are sites in canada dating from around the time of leif erickson and the vikings.
    What I was trying to get at is that without documentation, without maps and charts, its not really discovered, as no one can really point to where it is, and would be lucky to make a journey there.

Like say if I look up into a telescope and see a new planet. Yet I cant point that planet out to anyone, I cant see it again myself, did I discover it? Or is the person who sees it later, who marks its location, who provides others a way to see it, the person who discovered it.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2014-11-16 at 06:25 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Didn't technically native americans discover America first? They were they first people there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    sadly our schools in our area still teach that colombus discovered america first for some reason.
    I don't know how it is today but when I was in elementary school, we used to get Columbus Day off as a "holiday". It wasn't until I reached college that I learned the truth about Columbus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discovered after people lived had already lived their for so long that their were a number of empires, states, nations, and diverse cultures that reach from Alaska to Argentina...

History depends on whoever is telling it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    As much as I dislike the guy, I understand what people say when they said he "discovered" America.

Maybe "discover" isn't the right term, other people definitely went there before him, but he's the one who really changed the world history when he set foot there, and who brought it to attention to the rest of the world. Vikings or Muslims or anyone else who's been there before didn't have really have any impact on humanity as a whole. What Columbus did did (by basically wrecking whole parts of it apart, but well, that's still a bigger impact than a few settlements in Greenland for example, even if they lasted for centuries).
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Erdogan's whack. Why do the Turks keep supporting the guy?
    the sane ones dont. but they have all the government facilities under control, not much can be done against him

I don't know anything about any Muslim voyage, but it's not exactly a crazy thing to mention that a lot of people sailed from Europe and Asia to North America before Columbus. It'd be more correct to say that Columbus initiated colonization and trade with the Americas than to say he "discovered" it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Discovered after people lived had already lived their for so long that their were a number of empires, states, nations, and diverse cultures that reach from Alaska to Argentina...

History depends on whoever is telling it.
    I've never found this particular point to be compelling. If someone said, "hey guys, I just discovered this game, it's really cool", I wouldn't reply, "holy fuck, don't you realize that there are people that made that game, don't you think they discovered it just a bit before you???". Yes, we all realize that there were people in the Americas - as far as the bulk of Europe was concerned though, Columbus's voyages were discovery.

10+ Year Old Account
    dont matter who found it, just matters who took it for their own. glad they did too!

Not a big deal, there are some theories of other people visiting Americas. Unproven, but supported by documents nonetheless. And he exaggerates that in a South American Islam meeting and makes it a bigger deal than it actually is. For a politician it's as honest as they can get I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    And Europeans from around France long before them.
    That theory has long been debunked, and was based on superficial similarities between stone implements.

OT: In order: the native peoples of the Americas > Vikings (though they failed to maintain a long term presence) > Columbus

Deleted
    Person claiming it is a conservative muslim. I find this extremely subjective

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh... Didn't the Native Indians discover it?
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    What I was trying to get at is that without documentation, without maps and charts, its not really discovered, as no one can really point to where it is, and would be lucky to make a journey there.

Like say if I look up into a telescope and see a new planet. Yet I cant point that planet out to anyone, I cant see it again myself, did I discover it? Or is the person who sees it later, who marks its location, who provides others a way to see it, the person who discovered it.
    By that logic, we should celebrate the cartographers instead...
    Columbus didn't make the excessive maps himself either. He had little to do with those.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."