Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Where? If it's the generally sane ones like Christina Hoff Sommers and others that self-identify as equality feminists, these folks are branded as gender traitors and ostracized by what is the new "mainstream" of feminism.

Ana Kasparian is obviously a liberal feminist and I think she's one of the most balanced people / commentators out there. I love her opinion in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Ana Kasparian is obviously a liberal feminist and I think she's one of the most balanced people / commentators out there. I love her opinion in this one.
    Fair enough. I don't want to dive into some weird No True Feminist argument. Kasparian's a reasonable person and a good voice in general. I do want to point out that she's branded as a horrible regressive by popular feminist rage bloggers like PZ Myers though (link). I hope Kasparian's more representative of mainline feminism than Myers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    People can't help having that instinctual first impression. If you meet someone in a suit your first impression of them is going to be different then if you meet someone wearing a tattered old coat and rags. And if I meet someone wearing that shirt, my first impression is sexist douchebag. I can't help that, but obviously I can help whether or not I act on that first impression prematurely.
    If a female scientist had been wearing that shirt and she was gay, what do you think the media's response would have been?

Feminists would have spun the whole situation into something positive because they wouldn't want to belittle their role model.

Now to be fair to you, you want to make the argument that objectifying women offends women, but where do you draw the line? Will all beautiful scantily-clad women need to be banned from (certain) video games because they offend the minority of female gamers who play them?

The point is, people are being offended by something harmless or something they don't need to participate in.

This is what we call professional victim-hood. It will reach a point where we will simply have to not care about what others think.

If Matt Taylor had gone in front of that camera with a half naked female super model on each shoulder then you'd have a point.

I feel bad for the guy. Likely the last thing on his mind was if his shirt was offensive or not, since (from the story I read) it was given to him by a woman.

I actually view the feminist movement a lot like PETA. Their core belief is something I think just about everyone can agree with, but then you have a lot of people with fringe beliefs hopping on board trying to get press. Eventually these sort of things will get laughed off, or ignored on a busy news day. Unfortunately we're still in a time period with the feminism issue where nobody (or not enough people) have the courage to blow off the fringe, and the only ones that do are the fringe on the other end of the spectrum, so it just turns into clickbait and the like for the media, which allows them to profit from it, which means we'll get more of these fringe stories.

7+ Year Old Account
    I do want to point out that she's branded as a horrible regressive by popular feminist rage bloggers like PZ Myers though (link).
    Ironically, the hysterical hyperbole in that posted link are exactly the kind of comments that lend weight to what AK was saying. It's pretty sad when chics have to fight over feminism.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    If Matt Taylor had gone in front of that camera with a half naked female super model on each shoulder then you'd have a point.
    Not even then.

Fair enough. I don't want to dive into some weird No True Feminist argument. Kasparian's a reasonable person and a good voice in general. I do want to point out that she's branded as a horrible regressive by popular feminist rage bloggers like PZ Myers though (link). I hope Kasparian's more representative of mainline feminism than Myers.
    Is there anyone who takes PZ Myers seriously though? Is he still a "thing"?

10+ Year Old Account
    We already locked a thread on this topic. Please don't re-start locked threads.