Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Assassination: honest fear for DPS

Hey guys.

With the QOL changes rogues have received in 6.0 I finally decided to main my rogue a few weeks ago. She's currently lv97 (queues ftw) and I'm thoroughly enjoying lvling her.

However, I took a sneak peek at Noxxic's DPS comparison (I know, Noxxic isn't very reliable as a sourxe yada yada) and we're last on every ilvl (realistic DPS). At 680 we're 10k below the top DPS. That must mean something, right? Again, I'm not expecting top DPS and don't give me the 'go play sub' becaude I enjoy Assass atm. Every spec should be competitive to raid with (raiding goal = heroics clear as usual btw)

Any thoughts and in game experiences from lv100 heroix dungeon geared assassination rogues?

I guess we just have to wait and see. I'm currently 632 Item level and smashing everyone on the dps meters in hcs/Cms. (I play assassination)
    But then again rogues are always weak in the early tiers.

In dungeons it feels fine. It will be a lot different when we're doing mythic and getting gear 60+ ilvls higher.

If your goal is heroic raids I really don't think it will be a huge deal what you decide to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    In dungeons it feels fine. It will be a lot different when we're doing mythic and getting gear 60+ ilvls higher.

If your goal is heroic raids I really don't think it will be a huge deal what you decide to play.
    I know it won't be a huge deal but I like to do well on the meters, for me and for my raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaolin View Post
    I guess we just have to wait and see. I'm currently 632 Item level and smashing everyone on the dps meters in hcs/Cms. (I play assassination)
    But then again rogues are always weak in the early tiers.
    What the bosses you mean? You're certainly not smashing everyone on trash.

I played Assassin for the fist few heroics and I couldn't stand it. Rotation has been awful, mutilate costs way too much energy (especially at terrible energy regen rate right now), and I was getting smashed on dps meters. The guy above is ilvl 632 which is pretty good for this early in xpac, I was running at ilvl 623 so I can understand why he was destroying most people since he outgears them. I swapped to sub and I am enjoying it much more. Rotation is more complex, dps output is better.

"I know it won't be a huge deal but I like to do well on the meters, for me and for my raid."

I know you didn't come here to read this but I will be the first to tell you to move away from Assassination until they buff it, or wait until gear gets better.

"Every spec should be competitive to raid with..."

Unfortunately it has never been with way and never will. There will always be a best and a worst by a marginal difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    What the bosses you mean? You're certainly not smashing everyone on trash.
    On most bosses I'm ahead tons, on trash it's pretty even with other classes. But who cares about trash dps

Quote Originally Posted by hendu24 View Post
    I played Assassin for the fist few heroics and I couldn't stand it. Rotation has been awful, mutilate costs way too much energy (especially at terrible energy regen rate right now), and I was getting smashed on dps meters. The guy above is ilvl 632 which is pretty good for this early in xpac, I was running at ilvl 623 so I can understand why he was destroying most people since he outgears them. I swapped to sub and I am enjoying it much more. Rotation is more complex, dps output is better.[/B]
    Assassination is like it always been, Haven't tried Sub but i really hate that spec.
    Last edited by jaolin; 2014-11-17 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaolin View Post
    On most bosses I'm ahead tons, on trash it's pretty even with other classes. But who cares about trash dps

Assassination is like it always been, Haven't tried Sub but i really hate that spec.
    Challenge modes care, if you're into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Escapes View Post
    Challenge modes care, if you're into that.
    Oh yeah forgot that, well i was ahead in my group when i did my Daily CM in Iron docks last night

And yes i do care about CMs did my 9/9 back in mop on my rogue only.

You must not be grouping with good players then, rets and WW are just DESTROYING right now. Our ret has just absolutely insane burst, doing double what myself (combat) and other dps are doing. I'm also very curious to know how you're beating other classes as assassination on trash, ST I found Combat/Assassination to be even but on trash combat just completely blows assassination away (in heroics).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, I power leveled Thursday/Friday of release (luckily beat the queues) and hit 100 on Friday. I immediate jumped into LFD and found that assassination was lackluster. (Using double heirloom daggers) AOE is weak, warriors and hunters were absolutely wrecking everything. Even on boss fights assassination was not doing as well as I had hoped. I moved over to sub and found similar results. That being said, I went back to COMBAT and am topping meters on trash (unlimited targets for blade flurry) and am actually competitive on boss fights! Even at our low haste rates, our damage is keeping up. This is without a strong main hand for sinister strike too. Definitely recommend trying out combat.

Deleted
    Im feeling unsure atm tbh how we are doing. Not everyone in my guild is geared the same atm so it is hard to get a read on things. But from what i have seen WW and Rets holy crap insane dmg both aoe and single. Hunters are very strong too. Im getting beat or they come very close to what im doing even with like 10ilvl lower. If i go combat sure i can destroy every pack with much higher dps. But what i think matters atm is Challenge modes and from tryiing out both combat and mut i would say mut pulls over. I will try sub tommorow see how that goes. But imo assass is going to be just fine, not the best/FOTM but def worth bringing to raids.
    Last edited by mmoc343814da7d; 2014-11-17 at 10:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextar View Post
    You must not be grouping with good players then, rets and WW are just DESTROYING right now. Our ret has just absolutely insane burst, doing double what myself (combat) and other dps are doing. I'm also very curious to know how you're beating other classes as assassination on trash, ST I found Combat/Assassination to be even but on trash combat just completely blows assassination away (in heroics).
    Definitely grouping with baddies.

@jaolin And who cares about trash? Well trash makes up 90% of a dungeon, CMs are times, quicker it goes the quicker your time therefore you most likely won't be doing CM Golds as assassination current state.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started as Assa, but I felt it was very weak, and I don't like to be at the bottom of the dps meter (with that said, it's not like I hate it, if I'm right behind the player above me), but when I'm behind with 3-5k it's just not fun anymore. I switched to Sub, and after I've learned the rotation I'm 1-2 on dps meters and it's more fun to play instead of Assa.

TL;DR I've played Assa Rogues since I can remember so I know the rotations etc etc. just the spec atm is not very fun and slow paced.
    Be strong, Clarence! Be strong for mother!

Deleted
    I've actually never had problems in dungeons, always been 1, or a close second, even on AoE. Multi-rupturing, Fan of Knives and the new Crimson Tempest perk really helps out alot. Keeping Rupture up on 3 mobs is basically endless energy and then just keeping the Envenom buff up for ST and you should reach about 25-30k on 4-5 mobs easily (I'm currently 620 though).

On singletarget I'm pulling numbers varying from 17-23k, and with that I'm almost always #1 or #2. I don't know if I've been grouped with, as you so delicately put it, baddies.

To be fair I think I'm doing quite alright as Assassination at the moment, quite enjoying it to be honest. It's no Combat or even Sub, that's for sure, but from what I've seen the three specs are pretty darned equal so it's just a matter of playstyle.

Assassination has gotten ALOT more dependant on you keeping tabs on your Envenom buff though, 30% more damage with Mut and Dispatch is really alot.

I hope I have atleast helped given someone some kind of insight. Maybe even given someone an "Aha!" moment as to why they're not performing as they (maybe) should.

Over & out.

EDIT: Also, check out http://www.ravenholdt.net if you haven't already
    Last edited by mmoc0b175d4ed9; 2014-11-18 at 01:33 PM.

ZinneD, do you have an armory link?

I can't reproduce these numbers, currently at 623 ilvl. Also with pooling, how many muts do you squeeze in? Guess 3, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enzi View Post
    ZinneD, do you have an armory link?

I can't reproduce these numbers, currently at 623 ilvl. Also with pooling, how many muts do you squeeze in? Guess 3, right?

Sure, http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/Umbraphobia/

Also, keep in mind these are numbers I'm seeing on Skada at the moment, not logging it, might be some flux, in worst cases big ones.

EDIT: Also noted my armory isn't updated since a while back..

Deleted
    Dont forget luck of the draw gives you 5% more dmg depending on how many pugs you have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadohw View Post
    Dont forget luck of the draw gives you 5% more dmg depending on how many pugs you have.
    ^Shit. I'm sorry I totally blanked on that one, ignore my numbers...

Thanks for the link.

Dummy testing is currently problematic, if you have PvP gear it scales you up when you're in combat.