Learning to PVP as a DK. Is blood the way to go?

Historically I've always played a caster in PVP, but I really wanted to change it up this expansion and play a melee. Considering I am unable to do any serious raiding due to time constraints, I consider PVP to be my 'end game'.

I am still trying to figure out how to get around the range issues I am running into (auto run plus my Naga helps - keybind all the things) and want to play a spec that is forgiving yet allows me to not feel completely useless. I have enjoyed leveling as blood, but don't want to gimp myself if I should be doing frost or unholy.

Is blood the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Avengor View Post
    Historically I've always played a caster in PVP, but I really wanted to change it up this expansion and play a melee. Considering I am unable to do any serious raiding due to time constraints, I consider PVP to be my 'end game'.

I am still trying to figure out how to get around the range issues I am running into (auto run plus my Naga helps - keybind all the things) and want to play a spec that is forgiving yet allows me to not feel completely useless. I have enjoyed leveling as blood, but don't want to gimp myself if I should be doing frost or unholy.

Is blood the way to go?
    Tanks take 25% more dmg in instanced pvp... for world pvp blood is probably great but probably not so much for org pvp imo

I believe unholy is the way to go atm for DK and pvp, but if you're having a hard time with the melee aspects you could try a DW frost dk with Chillblaines for easy snares and Immobs, at least until you feel comfortable and still do pretty good, though it isn't "optimal" it will help you get used to melee fighting with a bit of easing into the learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Tanks take 25% more dmg in instanced pvp... for world pvp blood is probably great but probably not so much for org pvp imo
    I am not too interested in world pvp at the moment, though that may change.

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyWaken View Post
    I believe unholy is the way to go atm for DK and pvp, but if you're having a hard time with the melee aspects you could try a DW frost dk with Chillblaines for easy snares and Immobs, at least until you feel comfortable and still do pretty good, though it isn't "optimal" it will help you get used to melee fighting with a bit of easing into the learning.
    This may be the route I go then. I leveled as frost at times, so I am more familiar with that rotation. But it sounds like unholy DK is just the way to go.

Thanks for your answers guys.

Unholy for pvp. Frost comes 2nd but it's kitable, especially by hunters. As unholy you still have good dots and 2 mobs hitting the kiter while you can't reach him, which is usually enough to grind him down.

You will need Blood Tap, get used to it. The other 2 options just don't come near the benefit of having 2 death runes you can use on demand for 2 death syphons or 2 scourge strikes when a burst window pops up. You can use Runic Corruption for PVE though as it doesn't really make a difference unless you're tanking as blood, then you need Blood Tap for tanking so you have on demand death strikes and not rely on RNG.

Macro Blood Tap to the ghoul empower button, it's not like you will need to save either and not use them together if you can. Don't macro it to Death Coil, noobs do that and completely counter the purpose of BT and might as well just use RC cause it has the same effect.

The use of BT is simple. Mash the BT button when all your runes are on cd and you don't have RP for death coils either, otherwise don't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    Unholy for pvp. Frost comes 2nd but it's kitable, especially by hunters. As unholy you still have good dots and 2 mobs hitting the kiter while you can't reach him, which is usually enough to grind him down.
    The two mobs you are referring to is the gargoyle and the pet, right? (Just want to be sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    You will need Blood Tap, get used to it. The other 2 options just don't come near the benefit of having 2 death runes you can use on demand for 2 death syphons or 2 scourge strikes when a burst window pops up. You can use Runic Corruption for PVE though as it doesn't really make a difference unless you're tanking as blood, then you need Blood Tap for tanking so you have on demand death strikes and not rely on RNG.

Macro Blood Tap to the ghoul empower button, it's not like you will need to save either and not use them together if you can. Don't macro it to Death Coil, noobs do that and completely counter the purpose of BT and might as well just use RC cause it has the same effect.

The use of BT is simple. Mash the BT button when all your runes are on cd and you don't have RP for death coils either, otherwise don't touch it.
    Oh wow. I would have never, ever thought about binding Blood Tap to Dark Transformation. I like that idea a LOT. That's a great tip, thank you!

When I pvp I generally just the PVE rotation as much as possible...in this case, using Scourge Strike and Festering Strike. Is there such thing as a PVP rotation that's significantly different from the PVE rotation?
    Last edited by Avengor; 2014-11-17 at 09:45 PM.