10+ Year Old Account

New to Hunter, but hates pets....

I've always wanted to play a Dwarf Rifleman since Warcraft days. Then WoW Happened and I thought I'd try hunter... yeah no couldn't do it I really don't like having AI pets. So I ditched that Idea... fast forward 10 years later WoD, I'm thinking of giving my dream another shot, because of one talent.

Lone Wolf.

So my question is, can I be a competitive MM and SV Hunter in PvE and PvP with this talent.. or will I at some point be screwed into playing with a pet past just leveling to 100?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumiho View Post
    I've always wanted to play a Dwarf Rifleman since Warcraft days. Then WoW Happened and I thought I'd try hunter... yeah no couldn't do it I really don't like having AI pets. So I ditched that Idea... fast forward 10 years later WoD, I'm thinking of giving my dream another shot, because of one talent.

Lone Wolf.

So my question is, can I be a competitive MM and SV Hunter in PvE and PvP with this talent.. or will I at some point be screwed into playing with a pet past just leveling to 100?

Thanks all!
    Not only can you be competitive but MM with Lonewolf is the highest simming Hunter spec at the moment. I only hit 100 today just before the servers went to crap but from the few dungeons I've run with it I've been blowing a lot of people away with it.

I have the exact same issue Kumiho!
    I hate pets, thats why I wanted to go rogue, I tried rogue > hated it.
    So im playing DK; but "half" the class involved pets, so now I want to try something else.
    Really tempted to go Hunter because of lonewolf. But since Warlock's sacrifice talent thingy got nerfed Im scared that Lonewolf will aswell.
    Also hunters always get shit jobs in raids? Like on Siegecrafter they have to go on belt and if they fuck up its a wipe etc...

If you "really hate pets" that much, I'm not sure why you'd want to play a hunter. Since the beginning the hunter has been known as "the pet class". You never know what a talent like lone wolf will look like in the future. It may one day just be a talent you pick if you don't feel like dealing with a pet on certain encounters, but comes at the cost of a clear damage loss. I'm sure it will remain viable in warlords of draenor, but after that, who knows how good it remains.

Lone wolf is currently the only competitive talent at level 100, but to be honest, with the current changes; MM hunters are pretty static with long cast times and with no pet, it feels very... arcane magey

Marksmanship is total dominance at lvl 100 with Lone Wolf. Incredible for Dungeons since Barrage rapes any AoE packs and Chimaera shot cleave is so OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Marksmanship is total dominance at lvl 100 with Lone Wolf. Incredible for Dungeons since Barrage rapes any AoE packs and Chimaera shot cleave is so OP.
    Dat pvelol, doe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumiho View Post

Lone Wolf.

Thanks all!
    LW is great for PVE. Not THE pve talent as Frozen Ammo: Poison does more single target dps and Frozen Ammo: Fire does more aoe, but it's up there.
    For PVP though, LW is a liability in arena and solo play. It's basically a glass cannon, you need a healer to make it work as the loss in utility is too great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethon View Post
    Lone wolf is currently the only competitive talent at level 100, but to be honest, with the current changes; MM hunters are pretty static with long cast times and with no pet, it feels very... arcane magey
    Feels very sniper-like to me which is the point. MM is the most fun spec imo.

But "fun" is subjective, blah blah blah.

You picked the wrong class if you hate pets. The only way you can go petless forever is if marks stays competitive and lone wolf is not nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    LW is great for PVE. Not THE pve talent as Frozen Ammo: Poison does more single target dps and Frozen Ammo: Fire does more aoe, but it's up there.
    For PVP though, LW is a liability in arena and solo play. It's basically a glass cannon, you need a healer to make it work as the loss in utility is too great.
    It's Exotic Ammo for a start (with poison, frozen and fire being its sub choices) and you're wrong, Lone Wolf IS THE PvE talent, sims out the highest by a fair chunk, and even if you dislike sims its better on a common sense level as well, especialy for marks whos "cleave" damage is boosted by Lone Wolf and the fact it doesn't boost Multi shot is moot as its useless as marks anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses all!

I've been waiting for them to add a physical ranged class, (guns, bows etc.) that doesn't require a pet, and this seems like the next best thing! I think I'll give MM a go!

While petless hunter might be simming the highest RIGHT NOW, that will inevitably change at some point in the future.

I am like you, I can't stand AI pets. Unfortunately most classes have them now. If you want to play a ranged dps without pets your best bet is shadow priest or balance druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gombudja View Post
    While petless hunter might be simming the highest RIGHT NOW, that will inevitably change at some point in the future.

I am like you, I can't stand AI pets. Unfortunately most classes have them now. If you want to play a ranged dps without pets your best bet is shadow priest or balance druid.
    Not really wanting magic based classes. If they ever break this I'll likely go back to my Warrior.

BLASPHEMY you call your hunter pet out right NOW!!!. Nah all things aside, its nice to finally fill the role of "ranger" without having a pet out. How is survivability in PvE at 100 with LW though ? I imagine not having a pet to sponge the damage has painful effects.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ABK Morgan View Post
    BLASPHEMY you call your hunter pet out right NOW!!!. Nah all things aside, its nice to finally fill the role of "ranger" without having a pet out. How is survivability in PvE at 100 with LW though ? I imagine not having a pet to sponge the damage has painful effects.
    If you want to solo stuff you go BM with adaption for a ridiculously durable pet. MM with LW is a group spec.

I want to play as a druid but want perma pet, blizz pls understand