Thread: Bed bugs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bed bugs

So I think I might have bed bugs, which sucks.. A lot.
    A guy is coming to check it out tomorrow morning, but I havn't slept in a while because of the thought of them, munching on me while I sleep.

The only "proof" I have of 'em, is that I have what appears to be tiny bite marks on my hands, arms, stomach and crotch region - that scratches.
    I've looked around on the internet on ways to spot if you have them, but I cant find any evidence other than my bite marks.

Any thoughts to what else could've caused bite marks? If that's even what it is.. Tiny bumps with a tiny soar on top.

Ps. I have no idea where they would've come from.

EDIT: Doctor thinkgs it scabies, so I got some cream stuff for it to smear myself with for the night. Had the bed bugs check anyways do, just to be sure; there were no evidence of them being around. The scabies thingy sounds weird though, it's all scattered, not textbook hand, wrist and between fingers.. We'll see.
    Last edited by Damsbo; 2014-11-18 at 07:56 PM.
    I like juice

Sounds advertisey but I saw a bed bug detector on Shark Tank. You should buy one. Just google "Shark Tank Bed Bugs" and it's the first website. I won't link it cause I'll get owned by scrapbot.

I thought I was getting bug bites (not bedbugs), but it turns out I just had the occasional pimples lol.

visit a doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Sounds advertisey but I saw a bed bug detector on Shark Tank. You should buy one. Just google "Shark Tank Bed Bugs" and it's the first website. I won't link it cause I'll get owned by scrapbot.

I thought I was getting bug bites (not bedbugs), but it turns out I just had the occasional pimples lol.
    I read something about that aswell, cheers
    I like juice

Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    A guy is coming to check it out tomorrow morning, but I havn't slept in a while because of the thought of them, munching on me while I sleep.

The only "proof" I have of 'em, is that I have what appears to be tiny bite marks on my hands, arms, stomach and crotch region - that scratches.
    I've looked around on the internet on ways to spot if you have them, but I cant find any evidence other than my bite marks.

Any thoughts to what else could've caused bite marks? If that's even what it is.. Tiny bumps with a tiny soar on top.

Good luck with that man, my neighbors had them for a bit, the kids had bite marks all over their arms and legs for a bit, ended up having to just get rid of all the couches and beds, bombing the house and then getting new ones.

As for me, I have had 1 problem growing up with something biting me while I slept, kept leaving little blisters on me. Never could figure it out till one day I just laid down in bed out of boredom and just didn't move for like 30 minutes, then I noticed a little spider lowering himself from my light fixture onto my bed, killed that bastard and the bite marks disappeared.

You'll know if it's bedbugs because they are about 5 times itchier than mosquito bites, and they are smaller. skin coloured bumps with red dots in the middle, and they are in big clusters.

Saw a thing, don't remember all the details but since they don't fly, you can sit each of your bead legs in a bowl of vegetable oil and then sleep on the couch. They'll come after you and get caught in the oil. Any rate you'll know you have them.

Something to google anyway.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Saw a thing, don't remember all the details but since they don't fly, you can sit each of your bead legs in a bowl of vegetable oil and then sleep on the couch. They'll come after you and get caught in the oil. Any rate you'll know you have them.

Something to google anyway.
    lol what a mess

I did some work for a bug man, Bedbug removal is expensive. They kill them by heating up the house to about 160F (I think) keeping it there for hours and taking everything our of drawers, standing up matresses, etc to expose all of them

Deleted
    Buy/rent a steamer and let her rip, failing that a hot iron on high steam should make short work of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doctor says scabies, but sounded unsure. Giving my body the full overhaul with the cream I got.
    Also, everything cloth related including pillows and covers has been put in garbage bags for tomorrows laundry and or freezing.

Wish me luck lads.
    I like juice

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remove every piece of bedding from your bed. Pull back every fold of your mattress. Flip over the mattress. Check in/behind drawers that are close to your bed. Check in the space between where your carpet meets the wall. Check your pillowcases.

Basically any crack or crevice within 5 feet of the place where you think you are being bitten (usually whole bedroom) should be checked in bright light during the day. They are crafty, but if you do all this you will find them if they're there.

If you do all this and don't find anything, you can safely rule out bedbugs.

I had a problem where I was being bitten at night and it turned out to be spiders. I was quite relieved, as bedbug treatment is beaucoup bucks.

Bed bugs:

Step 1) Flip your mattress, look for tiny holes and/or shit in the wooden frame.

If you find evidence, traces of them or simply being paranoid and want to fight them regardless if they're there or not:

Step 2) Use bed bug canned sprays on the underside of the mattresses (use a mask or something, you don't want to inhale that shit). Usually let it be for half an hour or something, then open up windows to vent.
    Step 3) Now that they're no longer in the actual bed, it's time to put double sided tape on all four legs of the bed. That way when they crawl our from their holes in the wall and try to crawl their way to the feast sleeping in the bed, they'll get stuck in the tape on their way up.

Rinse and repeat Step 2 and 3 for as long as needed (or for as long as you're paranoid) with a few days / week inbetween. You also need to bag, ice and wash your bed clothing, you can google the specifics on that part.

If you've got a serious infestation you might need a professional to heat them out etc, but as long as it's a manageable level, it's way cheaper to do it yourself.

Source: I used to work with this (or rather, I managed the personnel handling this stuff, occasionally I helped out during personnel shortages). So not an expert, but I've got some practical experience on the matter. It's only in extreme cases we had to call in exterminators. You don't go to the hair dresser to comb your hair, or go to the dentist to brush your teeth, some low level stuff are things you ought to handle on your own. Unless you actually have the money to waste on a professional doing low level stuff for you.

Deleted
    He has scabies now drop the advice vs bed bugs.

Remove all bedding from your bed IE sheets blankets etc. Flip your mattress over, you will see if you have bed bugs or not. They also leave small black dots on bedding, it looks like someone took a sharpie and made a small black dot. Flipping over your mattress and looking is the best bet. You'll see a discolored area trust me you'll know. From what I understand if you do have them get ready for at least a month of cleaning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post

Source: I used to work with this (or rather, I managed the personnel handling this stuff, occasionally I helped out during personnel shortages). So not an expert, but I've got some practical experience on the matter. It's only in extreme cases we had to call in exterminators. You don't go to the hair dresser to comb your hair, or go to the dentist to brush your teeth, some low level stuff are things you ought to handle on your own. Unless you actually have the money to waste on a professional doing low level stuff for you.
    I worked for an extermination company we did more bed bugs then anything else. Do not think you'll get rid of them by yourself.

over the counter bed bug products don't work.

The only thing you can buy over the counter that will really kill bed bugs is diatomaceous earth (often sold as "chemical free crawling insect killer"). Which is essentially sand, but it's the shape of the sand that matters, it has tiny microscopic jagged edges that will act like razor wire for the fuckers. So you can lay down lines of it around baseboards and door thresholds in order to isolate your house into regions. This will allow you to move about your house comfortably and safely while you prepare for a professional exterminator to visit.

Diamonaceous earth will destroy vacuum cleaner filters though and will irritate your skin (because it's also a very effective desiccant)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Remove all bedding from your bed IE sheets blankets etc. Flip your mattress over, you will see if you have bed bugs or not. They also leave small black dots on bedding, it looks like someone took a sharpie and made a small black dot. Flipping over your mattress and looking is the best bet. You'll see a discolored area trust me you'll know. From what I understand if you do have them get ready for at least a month of cleaning.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked for an extermination company we did more bed bugs then anything else. Do not think you'll get rid of them by yourself.
    The doctor thinks its scabies, got some medicine cream for it. Didn't find any evidence of bed bugs today, and the place got turned over.
    Thanks anyways mate
    I like juice

The doctor thinks its scabies, got some medicine cream for it. Didn't find any evidence of bed bugs today, and the place got turned over.
    Thanks anyways mate
    You're lucky. Years ago some idiot tracked bedbugs all over the apartment building I used to live in... It's actually a very traumatic experience. You can't imagine what it's like until you've been there. Every time I get an itchy spot on my skin, I'm back in that apartment under siege by bed bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    over the counter bed bug products don't work.

The only thing you can buy over the counter that will really kill bed bugs is diatomaceous earth (often sold as "chemical free crawling insect killer"). Which is essentially sand, but it's the shape of the sand that matters, it has tiny microscopic jagged edges that will act like razor wire for the fuckers. So you can lay down lines of it around baseboards and door thresholds in order to isolate your house into regions. This will allow you to move about your house comfortably and safely while you prepare for a professional exterminator to visit.

Diamonaceous earth will destroy vacuum cleaner filters though and will irritate your skin (because it's also a very effective desiccant)
    DE works well if you know how to apply it. If you don't know anyone who has a pesticide license if your state requires one try this website they have professional products. http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks anyways mate
    Oh just a little 7 year itch? Probably better then bed bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Oh just a little 7 year itch? Probably better then bed bugs.
    Dont say stuff like that without explaining
    I like juice