Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    It won't. People aren't leaving because of one single issue.
    You keep going on about individual motivations when everyone else is talking about overall trends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If there are jobs and opportunities people are less likely to emigrate. The cartels stand in the way of development. Pretty fucking simple d00d.
    Most certainly not true. America has a better quality of life, people would skip to America instead of waiting for the time it takes for their countries to reach that QoL, if they ever do it.

You keep going on about individual motivations when everyone else is talking about overall trends.
    "People" is not an individual.

I think we need to fix healthcare and social services that orbit drug use before we even talk about legalization of everything. Those industries are not going to go away. They will change with the law, and the shit is pretty bad to begin with, and we don't want that carrying over.
    What comes with drug use is sections of the population that just can't mentally handle the shit. What are you going to do with someone who starts hearing voices due to meth use? They don't legally have to stop using it and sending them to emergency psych, well atavan like shit will make them manic AND hear voices, and not sleep and so on, so what then?
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-11-18 at 09:40 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Not to mention just because something is legalized doesn't mean the black market is suddenly dissolved. Illegal drugs and shit just takes on a different format. Tarriff and duty evasion and shit like that.

Just like cigarettes and liquor now.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just to add, I would say that the drug war may have a noticeable trend on illegal immigration, but the cases of political corruption and the police and military being blackmailed and bribed to work for sinister politicians operating Central American govts. may also be another motivation to leave their home country and immigrate here. Although, in some cases, those politicians work for the drug cartels themselves.
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

Most certainly not true. America has a better quality of life, people would skip to America instead of waiting for the time it takes for their countries to reach that QoL, if they ever do it.
    And without the cartels quality of life can improve in Mexico We've seen immigration waves from Mexico come and go, its not like one steady massive stream of people all wanting iPods.

I mean seriously, your argument is fucking bizarre. Stable countries grow. Healthy growing countries lose fewer citizens. Eliminating the cartel's hold on the drug market in the US will help Mexico stabilize.

Deleted
    And without the cartels quality of life can improve in Mexico We've seen immigration waves from Mexico come and go, its not like one steady massive stream of people all wanting iPods.
    You think the quality of life is suddenly gonna jump massively in a short amount of time if cartels somehow would disappear? Seriously, what's up with all the naive people like you?

I mean seriously, your argument is fucking bizarre. Stable countries grow. Healthy growing countries lose fewer citizens. Eliminating the cartel's hold on the drug market in the US will help Mexico stabilize.
    It won't have the impact you think it will.

It would not, if anything, the demand would increase in the USA, growing the market for bad people to ship more drugs.

Since they control the supply, and demand increases, the only way they lose value is due to being legal.

You now just eliminate the middle men needed to sneak it in, and can just ship straight to stores.

Hell it may make drug owners even richer, while leaving many more in poverty because the illegal drug trade was the only source of the low end workers money.

Legalizing meth and heroine sounds like a good plan. /rollseyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

The impact the legalization of drugs would have on immigration to the US would be very, very small. Most people immigrate to the US because rich people back home own 99.9% of the wealth and won't share a penny. To get ahead you have to immigrate to the US. Legalization of drugs won't affect that a bit.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    I read this: http://theweek.com/article/index/263...legalize-drugs

In a macroeconomic sense, by ending the drug war now and legalizing drugs here in the United States so that they can be taxed, the drug gangs in Central America are stripped of a lot of their revenue and therefore, power. Seeing as that happens, violence will decrease in those countries affected by drug gang activity because of these aftereffects, making it less of an incentive for people to come to the United States illegally. Although, drug gangs may just find new alternative sources for money funneling, but the damage by then would have been done.

So, as the title says, would ending the current drug war reduce illegal immigration, even if by a smidgen, or not?

And if it wouldn't or you feel the reduction to be negligible as to mean absolutely nothing in the long-run, how can the United States make it so illegal immigration, whether it is from someone crossing the border illegally, overstaying their work visa, etc., is less prevalent and therefore less of a problem?
    Imagine legalizing all drugs in Mexico. Do you know who'd still have all the power? The drug cartels.

Legal, government production of drugs would be the only way to break the illegal drug cartels and what they do. And no government, NO-ONE, wants to produce shit like cocain and meth just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I think these kind of arguments trend more towards legalizing non-lab-made drugs. Cartels depend on drugs that can be grown naturally because they are extremely low overhead/high profit goods and can fuel production of drugs that don't have the risky requirement of needing copious amounts of public land to produce. Crippling one side of the business effectively cripples the other.

Edit: maybe not so much cripple, but large cartels can't operate on lab drugs alone.
    Last edited by Slaskra; 2014-11-18 at 09:53 PM.

You think the quality of life is suddenly gonna jump massively in a short amount of time if cartels somehow would disappear?
    No, which is why I never said anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I wouldn't even mind really, since I consider addiction to the hard shit to be a social issue rather than criminal.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    No, which is why I never said anything like that.
    Then stop going "hurr, it's the cartels fault".

10+ Year Old Account
    People would rather deal with ruffians on drugs than immigrants? Fuck that.

Then stop going "hurr, it's the cartels fault".
    Nuance is not your strong suit. Legalization will hurt cartel funding and help Mexico stabilize. A stable Mexico will lose fewer citizens to the US. This will of course take time.

Deleted
    Nuance is not your strong suit. Legalization will hurt cartel funding and help Mexico stabilize. A stable Mexico will lose fewer citizens to the US. This will of course take time.
    They'll just find something else than drugs.

They'll just find something else than drugs.
    Such as? What other market is there with that much demand they can jump in to?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I wouldn't even mind really, since I consider addiction to the hard shit to be a social issue rather than criminal.
    Distributing drugs should be criminal considering that people can die from the drugs, even on the first try.

- - - Updated - - -

Such as? What other market is there with that much demand they can jump in to?
    You seriously expect me to come up with an answer where they would go? They're not gonna go away just because of something like that.