Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Admittedly the real feminist movements have already done this. Emma Watson gave a little one liner about how feminism wasn't about man hating and moved on. People seem dissatisfied that the moderates don't spend hours disowning the crazies.
    Wasn't she just mentioning how feminism is associated with man hating nowadays? I don't recall her attributing the reputation to anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That is feminism when applied to the US and Europe. I realize there's a good ol' motte-and-bailey defense where they retreat to saying that it's just about equality when called on shit like this, but in practice, this is where we're at for Western feminism at this point. At best, feminism is a tainted brand and people that have specific issues they'd like to take up are better off arguing the issues without the label.
    Feminism as people perceive it now is that, sure. The people who post rage inducing click bait to their social media feeds have made it thus. It's the vocal portion that everyone sees. Meanwhile the real organizations like NOW are working on real issues. Are they in the spot light? No. It's the shitheads that are giving attention and thus legitimacy to the extremists that have changed what feminism means in the west.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Admittedly the real feminist movements have already done this. Emma Watson gave a little one liner about how feminism wasn't about man hating and moved on. People seem dissatisfied that the moderates don't spend hours disowning the crazies.
    Too busy actually getting shit done I imagine

10+ Year Old Account
    Accept it appears pretty clear that the media is not disowning these radicals at all, but helping them to gain relevance. As if the media did not pick up these radical feminists attacks on Matt Taylor, did not support them, nothing would have come of it.

Yet the media is supposed to be moderate right? So the supposed moderates gave the radicals a gigantic signal boost.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Accept it appears pretty clear that the media is not disowning these radicals at all, but helping them to gain relevance. As if the media did not pick up these radical feminists attacks on Matt Taylor, did not support them, nothing would have come of it.

Yet the media is supposed to be moderate right? So the supposed moderates gave the radicals a gigantic signal boost.
    Stupid people tend to attract viewers. Imagine Stupid people coordinating amongst one another.

People seem dissatisfied that the moderates don't spend hours disowning the crazies.
    For what it's worth, I'm not. I don't think people are responsible for disowning every shitbird that shares some nominal title with them. If I had to disown every shitty person that shared some ingroup of mine, I'd be awfully busy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post

yeah, the media is one of the biggest problems. They'll report on what sells, and what seems to sell is rabid stupidity. Which then makes people think the entire movement is like this, which leads to "women and feminists are stupid", which elads to media calling them ysogynists, which leads to locked threads, which leads to Crissi needing a ton of chocolate and a few headache relievers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    This is beyond stupid. "Fanatics" didn't attack him for being a scientist, they called him out for wearing a shirt that was not appropriate at that time.
    It is not you or other people to decide the dress code at where he works, that is about him and his bosses.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me sad, he seems so innocent and passionate about his job. Looks like he was just genuinely happy about the shirt his friend gave him and didn't really think there would be such a negative reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what, the 4th thread we've had on this?

I'm still locking it, because the topic is toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Considering this topic wont stay dead (and it shouldnt, because the people making a deal out of this NEED to be critisized as the retards they are), can we just leave this one open and heavily moderate it?
    Just to be clear; there are 4 pages worth of posts in this very thread that demonstrate why the topic is toxic and not something we're going to allow. I agree there's stuff that could be productively discussed here. The possibility's been ruined by people acting toxically about the whole thing. Much the same reason we don't allow threads on religion here.
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-11-19 at 03:42 AM.