Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Nope. I work in a potato chip factory, so no need to work. I love being out of the service industry.
    Have you ever eaten a potato chip fresh off the line? Is it life-changing?

Nope. I hadn't worked a holiday since I worked retail, OP. And I blame my misanthropy and extreme desensitivity to human death on my 3 years of working retail, it's balls.

I cannot be the only hateful loner who things please have some work so I can avoid everything

Quote Originally Posted by Ycarene View Post
    In the last few years, if you worked in retail, Thanksgiving was no longer a holiday for you. My wife and I have made a decision not to shop on Thanksgiving. What are other people's thoughts on the subject?
    I'm not working on Thanksgiving this year. I will be working the rest of the week. I NEVER shop on Black Friday.

Now I HAVE worked on Thanksgiving before, in other jobs. My take was always that I was hired to do a job...and no part of that hiring process promised me certain holidays off. If I got it off, great. If not, well then I was making money.

I never understand who some people can complain about needing money, then complain about having to work on holidays. Either you need money or you don't.

I'm supposed to be off. My mom works at Wal Mart and has to work most of the day though.

I don't shop on Thanksgiving / Black Friday either.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I totally agree. Their weird numbering didn't preclude our numbering being weird. I always use YYMMDD for all my documents at work. It's pretty objectively good as a method.
    Everyone should just learn serialized dates.

Just count the number of days since 1/1/1
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like I won't be.

I work the airlines and our schedule is nil on Thursday, so my boss is bringing down the number of people on my shift to four, meaning I'll get to go home and have turkey with my family.

My family does black friday, but we're not too serious about it, and we don't show up until afternoon. The sales at 4AM are not worth the bullshit.
    Putin khuliyo

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would if I could.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted

Heres hoping not too many people die this black friday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not too many? How about hoping no one dies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Too much to ask. It wouldn't be Black Friday without a bit of trampling, and maybe a gunfight over a Plasma TV.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    We both know some will die, lets be realistic here.

That settles it, I'm wearing a top hat and monocle that day. Looking into getting a wheel of cheese. Or is that pacman? Pacman would be cool too.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not working and not shopping. As Lewis Black said last night on the Daily Show "Forcing retail stores to open on Thanksgiving has got to be the most un-patriotic thing I've ever heard of."

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    No. I'll probably only work like a few hours that week. I get like 6 weeks of vacation a year, work remotely, whatever hours, etc. I'm spoiled.

I will probably spend 10 hours cooking on Thanksgiving though because my roommates have no idea how to cook and would otherwise be buying a pre-made meal (lol).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That settles it, I'm wearing a top hat and monocle that day. Looking into getting a wheel of cheese. Or is that pacman? Pacman would be cool too.

Cheese wheel, one of the funniest and most retarded event in the UK.

we don't have thanksgiving here and I'm currently under doctors orders not to work, but when I worked in retail my attitude towards working holidays was always accepting the overtime if it meant a good amount of overtime pay. the laws here mean companies can't force people to work holidays, but there are ways around it and pretty much everyone with a job can figure out pretty quickly whether or not their boss is likely to penalise them under pretence of something else if they refuse the overtime. I always loved working christmas eve since we had very few customers, enough that we didn't get too bored but few enough that we could have a relaxing day (apart from the awful christmas music blaring on the shopping centre sound system) and were paid double the normal hourly wage. pretty sure I would not want to work in retail during the christmas shopping insanity of an American shopping mall though, whether it's black friday or thanksgiving day

Yes. In retail too.

I don't really mind though. There's overtime and holiday pay. My job in is a suburban area so it isn't ghetto where people are punching each other for 32" tvs. It's kind of funny to see how selfish and rude people are on the same day you're supposed to be giving thanks.

Won't be buying anything on Thanksgiving, nobody should have to work that day.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It looks like I won't be.

I work the airlines and our schedule is nil on Thursday, so my boss is bringing down the number of people on my shift to four, meaning I'll get to go home and have turkey with my family.

My family does black friday, but we're not too serious about it, and we don't show up until afternoon. The sales at 4AM are not worth the bullshit.
    This for me as well. I also work for the airlines and management doesn't recognize it's a holiday for us. The flights still have to go. So i'll be working Thanksgiving. Bid rewards just came out for december and it looks like I'll be working Christmas as well. yay. Looks like I'll be spending the holidays alone in a hotel room in someplace exciting like Buffalo, New York, or Omaha Nebraska. Oh well...at some point I'll be senior enough to bid and get holidays and weekends off.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!