Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That's a brilliant marketing strategy. There's always a significant chunk of people whose thought process amounts to, "well, if it costs a lot more, it must be really good". The amazing part is that they even talk themselves into it after consuming products that they can't tell the difference between in blind taste tests. Wine's a great example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's a brilliant marketing strategy. There's always a significant chunk of people whose thought process amounts to, "well, if it costs a lot more, it must be really good". The amazing part is that they even talk themselves into it after consuming products that they can't tell the difference between in blind taste tests. Wine's a great example of that.
    Sides:
    Fries: $2
    House seasoned fries: $3.50.

Only difference is I shake about 10 cents of garlic powder and paprika on them.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Of course I would pay the extra money if I felt the meal was improved by the addition.

$20 for a good sandwich is not expansive in my mind. $2 for a bad sandwich is way too expensive though.
    Damn...I've had some really pretty damn good sandwiches all across the US and I can't think of a single one I would pay $20 for.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Damn...I've had some really pretty damn good sandwiches all across the US and I can't think of a single one I would pay $20 for.
    My favorite burger where I live is $23, and it's totally worth it. Edit: $15 for the lunch version.

People pay $5 for breaded sticks of cheese, so I don't put it past anyone to pay $5 for anything anymore.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Thinking as I type... 25 miles is about a gallon of gas, so two gallons round-trip, so at current prices about $6 for the gas. That's about an hour of work for whoever's doing it. Let's assume they get a reasonable wage, so let's call it $15. We're at $21. I would want to be able to sell all of that for at least $100 with my markup. How many rolls are they getting? Divide $100 by that. If they're only getting 20 rolls, $5 is the right price.

Edit: I forgot to add in the actual cost of the rolls. Take that as you will.
    If they're driving through a city it could be a couple hours or more of driving.

To those complaining - do you only eat from the $1 menu? Good, homemade fresh food is pricey and deserving of the cost, especially bread. I doubt any one of you have ever made bread before. It takes a lot of work and skill. Anything homemade carries a high $$ premium.

- - - Updated - - -

For the novice maybe but anyone who knows wine will easily tell the difference between a cheap bottle and an expensive bottle. Not to say that cheap wines can't be good but there IS a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    For the novice maybe but anyone who knows wine will easily tell the difference between a cheap bottle and an expensive bottle. Not to say that cheap wines can't be good but there IS a difference.
    Salad is a different great example. Sandwich! Comes with Fries, Fruit, or House Side Salad! Add $2 for a Caesar Side Salad! (only difference, I used a different dressing that costs about the same).

If they're driving through a city it could be a couple hours or more of driving.

To those complaining - do you only eat from the $1 menu? Good, homemade fresh food is pricey and deserving of the cost, especially bread. I doubt any one of you have ever made bread before. It takes a lot of work and skill. Anything homemade carries a high $$ premium.

It really depends where you live. Here in Germany we have a long tradition of making bread (and beer) and you can get premium bread for close to nothing. A normal sandwich with bread made fresh in the shop costs about 4€ (5$) and tastes better than everything you can buy in subway and costs less (same size in subway costs between 7-13€).

I know that in the US good bread costs a lot (the ones that were close to the quality we have in Germany did cost about 10-12$ a loaf) because there aren't that much shops that make their own bread but there are some places with a lot of german immigrants that offer good bread for a lower price.

In addition making your own bread isn't that hard but takes a lot of time. If you want a really good bread you have to make the dough 24h in advance. When I grew up it was normal to get up at 5am and help my mother to make some bread for breakfast and new dough for the next day. Takes maybe an hour a day and you end up with a total cost for 1kg of bread for something like 1€ (ingredients cost less). As said it's more or less tradition in Germany to do that every day.

As for paying 5$ more for good bread. With the prices and general quality of bread in the US I would pay 5$ extra. Here in Germany I wouldn't because you can already buy really good bread. In other countries it depends. In Italy and France they have some good bread but in the Netherlands or Poland I always have to buy the premium bread for like 7€ per 0.5kg to get something that I would call bread.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wouldnt pay for sandwich 5$ yet alone 5$ for extra bread...

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    I know that in the US good bread costs a lot (the ones that were close to the quality we have in Germany did cost about 10-12$ a loaf) because there aren't that much shops that make their own bread but there are some places with a lot of german immigrants that offer good bread for a lower price.

In addition making your own bread isn't that hard but takes a lot of time.
    It just takes some dedication. I know I'm crazy, but I have two different batches of sourdough living in my refrigerator, and I usually have a batch of biga.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait.. You're paying 5$ more.. JUST for the bread? Oh god, that's disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe you can read the OP and see the bread costs 1$ at the bakery they buy it from..

Let me check my spreadsheets... Oh right, I don't even track that. It's like 30 cents of ingredients for a loaf. Yeast, flour, water, salt, bake. Gonna get all fancy? Fine, I'll put on an egg wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Wait.. You're paying 5$ more.. JUST for the bread? Oh god, that's disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe you can read the OP and see the bread costs 1$ at the bakery they buy it from..
    What they set their prices at is irrelevant. They probably sell enough to keep it cheap. 50 miles through a congested city could take hours. You're paying for that too. They pay $1 and charge $5 so that's $4 more over the cost minus at least $6 in gas plus time in wages. Do the math man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Let me check my spreadsheets... Oh right, I don't even track that. It's like 30 cents of ingredients for a loaf. Yeast, flour, water, salt, bake. Gonna get all fancy? Fine, I'll put on an egg wash.
    Good quality ingredients are more than 30 cents bub. And you clearly know nothing of quality food. You aren't just paying for the cost of the ingredients. You're paying for the skill of the baker. Heck I don't think you even understand economics.

Same reason Drs cost so much - you're paying for their skill. Ever price handmade crafts like quilts? They can run in the thousands. Small volume+high quality=premium price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

It's been shown time and again that this isn't the case. One example, among many. The wine doesn't taste different to people in a blind taste test, but if someone paid more for it, they'll declare that it tastes better. People can't actually tell the difference, it's just a trick of the mind.

Same people who pay $5 more for a roll are probably the same people you can dupe when you advertise something that has a secret ingredient, when it doesn't.

Deleted
    I wouldn't pay $5 for a sandwich. never mind $5 extra.

15+ Year Old Account
    $10 would be a normal price for stuff like that here so not sure what to compare to, but bread being half the price sounds really inflated.

I doubt any one of you have ever made bread before. It takes a lot of work and skill. Anything homemade carries a high $$ premium.
    Bread is the first thing children learn how to make because it's ridiculously easy and fun. It requires 0 skill basically; dedication? sure, loots of it, but skill? give me a break. It wouldn't be one of the first coked meals though history, and one developed independently in different cultures, if it wasn't so freaking easy to make

I've lived long enough in a region with bread culture (yeah, that's a thing: we have a bread museum even), where most bakeries do their own dough, and never found anything as pricey. In fact, I know of a place that has a lady driving to some 140 km (87 miles) away city, every single day, just to get a special variety of bread, and they sell it for 2€ the 1kg piece.

5$ for a roll is objectively ridiculous in a place where bread is appreciated. 5$ is ridiculous for a sandwich anyway. Using the good stuff to craft a crappy meal is kind of pointless in my mind. See, here we mix wine with coke, and since we know we're spoiling the product, we use the bad wines: because using a good one would be outrageous.

In a place where expensive stuff is appreciated on its expensiveness, then yeah, go for it: but I doubt hipsters would be able to tell the difference.

The difference, is most of the time, the willingness of the consumer to pay and impress their friends. Telling cheap from expensive is simple. Good wine is expensive; the problem is telling expensive from really expensive, and the quality range on that scale has very little correlation with the goodness range. And we have blind tests to corroborate that fact: connoisseurs don't know the difference either.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2014-11-23 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been shown time and again that this isn't the case. One example, among many. The wine doesn't taste different to people in a blind taste test, but if someone paid more for it, they'll declare that it tastes better. People can't actually tell the difference, it's just a trick of the mind.
    You are making a huge mistake here, I believe..
    You take a paper, that deals with consumer behavior, and apply the results to experts.
    Cerus argued that the blind test will not work with real experts.... A wine connoisseur or sommelier will identify cheap wine quickly. Same can be said about people who have wine as a passion/hobby. I believe wine is a very bad example at something, since it requires a high expertise to tell the difference. A difference that isn't obvious to the average consumer.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Good quality ingredients are more than 30 cents bub. And you clearly know nothing of quality food. You aren't just paying for the cost of the ingredients. You're paying for the skill of the baker. Heck I don't think you even understand economics.
    Pardon? I pay the baker. And I'm the tracker of costs.