Deleted

Blood DK or just OP Dungeouns?

Hello. I'm a Belf DK ilvl 600 from Sylvanas H and I first queued for Upper Blackrock Spire.The dungeon went well if we didn't wiped 4 times at the trash someone overpulling unfortunately..It's ok we managed a little by a little to get at the final boss..What I want to say is that at the last Boss i wiped 7 times.I didn't know what was the problem .The healer was fine,was spamming heal on me and as he said and I said i feel really squishy..Ok DK tank without off hand shield but still where is the DK real power?The deathstrike is not like it was in cata/mop where you were fully absorbing and stuff but what am I supposed to do if i get that really annoying downtime that i have to wait for my hammer in the head and just wait for another death strike that will only heal me for around 15k of 200k!!The deathstrike should've healed me for around 25-30% of life per 1 but I'm literally just as a DPS is:|I'm pissed we couldn't even finish the 1st normal dung and believe me not the healer was the prob

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurik1299 View Post
    Hello. I'm a Belf DK ilvl 600 from Sylvanas H and I first queued for Upper Blackrock Spire.The dungeon went well if we didn't wiped 4 times at the trash someone overpulling unfortunately..It's ok we managed a little by a little to get at the final boss..What I want to say is that at the last Boss i wiped 7 times.I didn't know what was the problem .The healer was fine,was spamming heal on me and as he said and I said i feel really squishy..Ok DK tank without off hand shield but still where is the DK real power?The deathstrike is not like it was in cata/mop where you were fully absorbing and stuff but what am I supposed to do if i get that really annoying downtime that i have to wait for my hammer in the head and just wait for another death strike that will only heal me for around 15k of 200k!!The deathstrike should've healed me for around 25-30% of life per 1 but I'm literally just as a DPS is:|I'm pissed we couldn't even finish the 1st normal dung and believe me not the healer was the prob
    Well UD Blood Dk myself, back after skipping most of MoP here at ilvl 598 and just stepped into the Spire for the first time tonight with an under geared gruop, we wiped 1 time and I was battle ressed 2 times and I battle ressed the healer 1 time but we cleared it. It's a hard dungeon when undergeared and there's also some mechanics I didn't know about from the start. DK tanking is quite harder in WoD than it used to be, I have to really plan my cds and micro manage runes now. Before a DK tank could just about punch random buttons and get away with it. Make sure you use the groups CC properly, if you have a weak group you just can't rush into things. I had the rogue in the group sap all the time fo intstance.

It was a bloody challenge with me undergeared and the group as well but I enjoyed it still since it was back a bit to old school dungeons when you had to cc mobs. Make sure you make use of the cds when up, if you use them properly you should mostly have one ready per group of thrash. I have tanked a lot on my DK in the past but I still had to really read up on the changes to the cds and abilities in WoD.

I guess it will be easier with better gear.
    Last edited by mmoc6cf872d270; 2014-11-20 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have yet to tank that particular dungeon on my DK, but all the other ones I've done (about 10 in total), I haven't had any issues tanking.

I'd just say use your DK bag of tanking tricks in accordance to the fight mechanic. If you know a big add damage is inc, use your Rune Tap/ AMS/IBF or interrupt, etc. If you get below 20%, use DP and the RT that pops up. Keep BS up whenever it pops off CD. I use macros like VB + HS use for when I get low as well.

Most important part is to just be aware of fight mechanics and all that it entails. Plan your abilities accordingly.

Your DS heals are way low for only healing 15k. That's absurdly low, never been healed that low before. You'd need to have ZERO resolve and no Scent of Bloods for it to heal that shitfully. Mine usually heals me for 30k+ and it only goes up with the more resolve I get.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2014-11-20 at 10:20 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    10/10 thread would read again

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-11-21 at 05:13 PM.

DK tanking today is pretty much all about proper cooldown management and then taking care of yourself with death strike / rune tap inbetween cooldowns, doing time challenge mode runs I tend to find myself needing either a cooldown or a deathstrike to be up pretty much all the time. How you solve this is different for each trash pack and everything goes differently depending on how quick your bone shield is gone. In general aim to use your cooldowns as often as you can and have a couple of seconds between each where you save up runes to double death strike in it (you want 2-3 DS then another cooldown) in order to maximize the time you spend having mitigation up.

Other then that, there's not much to say, blood tap is king, rune tap is super good on predictable damage and DK tanks are very very strong right now, doing 5 mans you're never going to struggle to stay alive if you play it properly.

Registered to respond to this.

I was initially having difficulties as well, but learning to manage rune tap and with holding back on the DS spam until needed while alternating DC and BB was a tremendous help.

Also, picking up RemWinter for trash packs is just pure gold! That has honestly made the biggest difference for me. Defile with the 10% reduction is certainly a plus as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    DK tank since wrath here.

As it has always been, you need to properly rotate CDs as a DK. This is even more important now than ever.

Death strike is now more of a bonus for the healer rather than our active mitigation. Sure its a pretty damn strong heal (you need to know when to time it in accordance with resolve) but it shouldn't be your "go to" tanking ability. DKs have the most CDs out of the tanks, with many of them refreshing in a minute or less, so there's no reason not to be rotating CDs even on trash pulls.

Learn the fights, learn your CDs, learn to manage runes and don't just spam DS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khovan View Post
    Registered to respond to this.

I was initially having difficulties as well, but learning to manage rune tap and with holding back on the DS spam until needed while alternating DC and BB was a tremendous help.

Also, picking up RemWinter for trash packs is just pure gold! That has honestly made the biggest difference for me. Defile with the 10% reduction is certainly a plus as well.
    Remoseless Winter is amazing for trash packs. I don't think there are many pulls where I don't use it, and it even comes in handy dealing with tanking adds on bosses, such as Witherbark in The Everbloom or Azzakel in Auchindoun. But I don't agree on defile. That's just a 10% reduction for all of 10 seconds, and, only affects those actually in it. Instead, I've been rolling with necrotic. On trash packs my RP generation is ungodly, leaving me sometimes GCD capped and unable to spend it all. It also makes plague leech 50% cheaper: PL, then BB (if blood up) or IT (if no blood up) to restore diseases and use the other free death rune for a DS to heal back up or a rune for DT if you know something is coming.

DK's now are less about DS and the shield (which is kinda crappy anyway - I'm fully decked out in 630's and have only 41%) and about properly managing RT, VB, and all of our other cooldowns to proactively mitigate incoming damage. No more perpetual BS or BS (bone shield and blood shield) for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Remoseless Winter is amazing for trash packs. I don't think there are many pulls where I don't use it, and it even comes in handy dealing with tanking adds on bosses, such as Witherbark in The Everbloom or Azzakel in Auchindoun. But I don't agree on defile. That's just a 10% reduction for all of 10 seconds, and, only affects those actually in it. Instead, I've been rolling with necrotic. On trash packs my RP generation is ungodly, leaving me sometimes GCD capped and unable to spend it all. It also makes plague leech 50% cheaper: PL, then BB (if blood up) or IT (if no blood up) to restore diseases and use the other free death rune for a DS to heal back up or a rune for DT if you know something is coming.

DK's now are less about DS and the shield (which is kinda crappy anyway - I'm fully decked out in 630's and have only 41%) and about properly managing RT, VB, and all of our other cooldowns to proactively mitigate incoming damage. No more perpetual BS or BS (bone shield and blood shield) for us.
    Hmmm I didn't bother with Necrotic, but I'm debating it now. Shadow of death rolling is probably better than 10% mit for 10 sec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Hmmm I didn't bother with Necrotic, but I'm debating it now. Shadow of death rolling is probably better than 10% mit for 10 sec.
    The drawback I find is that after it hits 15 stacks it lasts for however long is left and then ends. Nothing can refresh it until it drops off, and I've wasted multiple outbreaks forgetting. You then either have to spend a rune or your outbreak to reapply. But I'm still finding it worth it for RP gen with BT.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna have to mess around with it when I get back home from class today
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.