Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Priest Dungeon healing

So this is my first time healing, ever, and going by my very limited experience in healing dungeons I have a few questions.

I find myself focusing way too much on my grid, is this something that goes away with experience or is it a recurring problem?
    What amd I supposed to do when there's an aoe attack as a holy priest? Currently my normal rotation is keeping Renew and PoM up on the tank as much as possible, and using Holy Word: Serenity on the tank on cooldown pretty much, I usually wait until he's taken some damage with using it though.

If an AoE attack happens, usually I'll just put up Renew on people, and use Circle of Healing, Prayer of Healing and maybe a Binding Heal. While moving, the only thing I can do is CoH and Renew, depending on how much time I can get, but between that and juggling the tank healing it get's pretty messy.

Right now I'm kind of okay in Normal dungeons, but what would happen in heroics, or even raids? What am I supposed to do in situations with sustained AoE where I also need to move quite a bit while also keeping the tank up? I'm lost as to what to do.

Personally i find hotting the whole group does need too much time and doesn't heal enough. If there is really extremely much group damage you should stay in Serenity, PoM, CoH, Renew on tank and yourself, Binding Heal the Tank, PoH if necessary, Sanctuary and keep CoH and PoM on Cooldown. If you have all PoM-Talents then you have so much Mending around that you shouldn't have a lot of AoE-Problems.

The grid focus is something that never really goes away, not for me. You get better at it, and I try to use a combination of good notification add ons and stacked spells (for example, if I know I want to cast a couple of spells in succession on the tank, I'll select him and then look up at my surroundings) to keep an eye on the fight.

For me in heroics, renew + glyphed binding heal + yellow chakra is the core of my healing. During periods of low damage I will use them to keep renews on the whole group going along with moderate tank healing. From Darkness Comes Light is a good talent for movement fights - if you know when movement is coming just save up 2 charges and make sure Serenity is off cool down, otherwise try to sit on a charge. Also, don't fogey about PW:S. Even though you are holy, its still a bigger heal for less mana than flash heal - it really helps for stabilizing tank health on the move.

I can't think of any time where you would need to move more for more than a few seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    You notice a difference when you get 12.5% haste at higher ilvls.

Other than that I do the same as Velerios, Renew group and throw out a PoM & CoH when needed.
    Use Serenity Charka in dungeons, I find people don't stay stacked enough for Sancturary, as well as the damage spikes on the tanks.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Hz | Gigabyte GTX 580 Superclocked Edition SLI | Lian-Li PC-P50WB | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (raid0) | Corsair RM-1000 80+ Gold | Corsair H60, 2x BitFenix Spectre Pro P/P config

Yes, i forgot about PW:S. Since WoD PW:S is worth casting as Holy, especially on movement.

PW:S can not only crit since WoD and was already Hotfixed to absorb more, it also benefit from our Multistrike-Talent that includes absorbs too.

PW:S is one thing I haven't done. Thanks, I'll start using it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    You notice a difference when you get 12.5% haste at higher ilvls.
    Haste breakpoints have been removed in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Yes, i forgot about PW:S. Since WoD PW:S is worth casting as Holy, especially on movement.
    The heal from glyphed PW:S can also refresh renews.

If you're still struggling I'd suggest using clickable lightwell for the extra 50% healing and greater flexibility.
    Can be difficult to maximize in pugs but with guild groups I find it to be quite strong.

Quote Originally Posted by appro View Post
    Can be difficult to maximize in pugs but with guild groups I find it to be quite strong.
    Nobody's going to click that shit.

I was in a top-200 US guild at one point, and still had a hard time getting people to click the lightwell. So I doubt random LFD pugs will click it. :P

Besides, even with +50%, that's still only ~5k extra healing; not a whole lot of improvement for the requirement of manually clicking it.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Nobody's going to click that shit.

I was in a top-200 US guild at one point, and still had a hard time getting people to click the lightwell. So I doubt random LFD pugs will click it. :P

Besides, even with +50%, that's still only ~5k extra healing; not a whole lot of improvement for the requirement of manually clicking it.
    I have it glyphed and it is a wonderful thing in CMs. I've trained them to click it to the point where I had it unglyphed during a pug and forgot to switch it back and they all complained because they wanted their clicky heal back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    So this is my first time healing, ever, and going by my very limited experience in healing dungeons I have a few questions.

I find myself focusing way too much on my grid, is this something that goes away with experience or is it a recurring problem?
    What amd I supposed to do when there's an aoe attack as a holy priest? Currently my normal rotation is keeping Renew and PoM up on the tank as much as possible, and using Holy Word: Serenity on the tank on cooldown pretty much, I usually wait until he's taken some damage with using it though.

If an AoE attack happens, usually I'll just put up Renew on people, and use Circle of Healing, Prayer of Healing and maybe a Binding Heal. While moving, the only thing I can do is CoH and Renew, depending on how much time I can get, but between that and juggling the tank healing it get's pretty messy.

Right now I'm kind of okay in Normal dungeons, but what would happen in heroics, or even raids? What am I supposed to do in situations with sustained AoE where I also need to move quite a bit while also keeping the tank up? I'm lost as to what to do.
    I used to focus a lot on my healing frames the first times i healed, when you get more experience with healing you will have an easier time focusing both on the healing frames and what's going on around you. You can place your frames right under, to the left or to the right of you character. This may help you with overview of the fights.

Binding heal refreshs renew, using the glyph, makes it refresh you, your target and a third person(whoever it heals)

Placing Light well before heavy sustained damage, is a good idea, pre-hotting, and spamming PoH is what i do most of the time(it all depends on the situation though)

Don't worry. It all comes with practice and experience, once you have got used to heal normals, heroic wont be much of a problem, it's only more damage(maybe new mechanics) We all start somewhere.

Minimazing movement is critical, the more you move the less you can heal(other then instant cast of course)

You're not alone in raids, there is other healers aswell. I'd suggest joining a raiding guild. PuGs can be a little harsh when it comes to unexperienced people.

Deleted
    Hey guys,

i went Everbloom CM yesterday and it was impossible to heal the Mageboss (4th i guess?) ... we had a good chance of getting silver/missing it by a little, before that boss.
    We wiped about 15 times at mage boss then called it off.
    As healer, it frustrates me being not able to keep the group alive.

I captured some trys, would it be possible you guys look at a few trys, when i upload them?
    Have to say, yes i did mistakes there, like getting hit by a firewave etc, but every wipe was around 20% Bosshp, from that point it wasnt possible for me healing this.

My gear is far away for beeing optimal. Will post arsenal link with the video, tonight, if someone is willing to look at it.

I really dont wanna hear, if teammates failed etc, iam searching for my mistakes, because this "lose" bothers me alot.

Greetings Declade

Quote Originally Posted by Declade View Post
    Hey guys,

i went Everbloom CM yesterday and it was impossible to heal the Mageboss (4th i guess?) ... we had a good chance of getting silver/missing it by a little, before that boss.

I captured some trys, would it be possible you guys look at a few trys, when i upload them?
    Have to say, yes i did mistakes there, like getting hit by a firewave etc, but every wipe was around 20% Bosshp, from that point it wasnt possible for me healing this.

My gear is far away for beeing optimal. Will post arsenal link with the video, tonight, if someone is willing to look at it.

I really dont wanna hear, if teammates failed etc, iam searching for my mistakes, because this "lose" bothers me alot.

Greetings Declade
    Don't interrupt her straight away so you can stay in the fire phase for a while. The frost phase does huge amount of damage if people get hit by the frost raid and need to be dispelled.

Deleted
    Hey guys,

Greetings Declade
    That fight had barely any group healing to do for me so it sounds like it wasn't your fault at all and that you guys were using wrong strat or people were standing in stuff.

There might be different strats but what I did in a pug was:

- Everyone stay in the are where the boss starts. DO NOT interrupt Parasitic Injection. She spams Fireball on tank which increases in dmg as she gains Parasitic Injection stacks. Light tank healing, no group healing.

- After you drop 3-4 flowers where she is, move her to a fire flower free zone so noone has to jump over them. Heavy tank dmg, need to chain tank CDs. Light group healing if they get hit by flame rings.

- Right as you move her she should be around 3 stacks of Injection/50%, this is when you want to interrupt her next Parasitic Injection. Make sure the tank has CD coverage until the interrupt happens. If you have higher dps and she is at 35%-ish by now you can interrupt 1 Injection earlier.

- Ice/Burn phase, there should be no flowers reaching where you are. Need to stand out of Blizzard. The main dmg will come from the adds who spams Frostbolt on random ppl and leaves a dispellable debuff that stacks. This will be medium tank healing and heavy group healing but you should be at nearly full mana going into it. This phase should be over very quickly but save Hero for it if it's taking too long and the tank has enough externals in Fire phase to push an extra Injection.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just renew everyone and do binding heal x2 > Serenity on Tank > Heal on tank (or low player) and repeat, seems pretty simple and effective, don't even bother casting PoH.

Hey guys,
    every wipe was around 20% Bosshp, from that point it wasnt possible for me healing this.
    Were you oom during wipe? If not, then you need to review which spells you're using. There's a very simple trick to see if it's your gear/your skill, as a healer, or shitty dps:

- if you wipe a difficult fight with a plenty of mana left, you're doing it wrong. Use more powerful, but more expensive spells instead of regular cheaper ones
    - if you wipe the fight due to oom, after using your most powerful spells, then maybe your gear needs improvement (or dps is shitty)
    - if you wipe the fight being oom, while being able to keep the group up with your regular cheaper spells, then it's DEFINITELY shitty dps

Great thread! Thanks for the info from those answering

i am finding holy priest completely broken without SoO tier 2pieces bonus, but i probably am doing something wrong
    i look at that renew lot of u using, i just keep it on tank

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzop View Post
    i am finding holy priest completely broken without SoO tier 2pieces bonus, but i probably am doing something wrong
    i look at that renew lot of u using, i just keep it on tank
    Renew is easily Holy's best spell. At 632 ilvl, it's ticking for almost 5k, with ~1,700 multistrikes.

Use the glyph for it, it's a direct throughput increase. (5 ticks at 100% without the glyph, VS 4 ticks at 125% = 500%)

Someone takes damage? Just renew 'em and go back to healing the tank. Big group damage incoming? Renew everyone, and a CoH afterwards, and the renews should cover things up nicely.

Deleted
    My personal opinion is that for a random group 610 ilevel for hc's is just not easy to heal.
    It requires your group members to be smart, your tank not to rush ahead, your dps to not dps all a different mob. It requires them to read chat for your mana break, cc on mobs, maybe mark trashpacks so they focus on the same. It may require your tank to actually use his cd's, and people not to stand in shit. These things often miss in a pug. I had quite a bit struggle when fist healing heroics.

I tried for a long time to heal through everything, even kept healing dps that stood in shit. I used blue chakra for that. It oom'd me in no time.
    So I just stopped thinking that way and did the following:

Now I never really use the blue chakra. I gave up on trying to keep all dps alive if they do stupid things.
    I use yellow chakra all the time, I give all my efforts to keep the tank up. Dps can have my renews, maybe a pw:shield to help them run out of shit faster (I have it talented), cascade and my circle of healing. I hardly ever use Prayer of Healing as I decided it's too expensive to use compared to my other aoe healing spells.
    If the dps can't survive with those spells it's their bad. I noticed they only die if they stand in silly things, don't interrupt things, just in general getting the mechanics wrong. I don't care if they die anymore.
    Don't think I don't want to do any effort, when a dps is really good interrupts things, doesn't stand in shit, but is close to dying because someone with a dot goes standing on him or something I will make an exception and he can even get my flash heals

Just don't stress. Make sure you know the mechanics of the fights, look them up. When fights go bad you can point out what they are doing wrong. In the end you help them more by doing that. By healing through not-followed-tactics they don't learn anything.

Other than that: have fun, you seem to be using the correct stuff. People's attidude in hcs just needs to change. I'm starting to see changes, we're getting there