The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lauren Hill Story

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...ce-player-week

Long story short, girl works hard to play college basketball only for doctors to essentially tell her her life is going to end. The college and others have been wonderful to her though; they gave her a chance to play before her time allegedly runs out.

We always see the stories of people being inspirations when situations like this happen. I'm barely in my 20s and cancer has stricken close ones in my life. What mystifies me about Hill, and others who are told their time is short, is how the hell can they smile for the camera? How can they be so uppitty?

I'm not saying she should feel bad; i'm happy knowing that she's taking it well and how great people are being to her. I just never understood how they are able to be happy after being told that. It's like Grandad from the Boondocks when he says "I don't wanna go to the doctor. What if he finds out that i'm gonna die at the end of the month? That would totally ruin the rest of this month for me!"

I couldn't imagine for one second how I would react if doctors told me I was going to die soon. We all have our own hopes, dreams, and aspirations in life. Imagine devoting your life to a goal or ideal only to find out that "Ohhh ohh ohh, too bad. You're gonna die before it's reached!" Wouldn't everything you worked for be for nothing? It's a huge downer.

Deleted
    A friend of mine has a brain tumour and was told he had a year to live, 5 years ago. No idea how he gets by day to day with constant headaches and numb limbs but he keeps on working at his job, you never know how you will react until it happens to you.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2014-11-21 at 01:12 AM.

I guess you just push reset on what your goals and priorities are. Keep in mind that she's probably shed plenty of tears, but wants to put on a brave face in public, and I don't blame her. Some people aren't so sanguine though. If you like podcasts, I'd recommend a listen to this interview with DG Myers, who was dying from cancer at the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    The difference is the acceptance of death - some people are quick to it, others may never accept it. When we (being healthy) consider dying, our sensation of sadness is due to the anticipation of loss of life and all that comes with it - something which we currently have and value, but are told we will soon lose.

People who are doomed to die sometimes instead accept their coming death, and move on to cherish the life that remains - they aren't losing future life, they are merely trying to grasp as much as they can before the Gion Shoja bells echo their impermanence

Edit: And like Spectral and Rich said - everyone reacts differently. When I was a kid my friends mom died of cancer, and she was incredibly depressed about it right up until the end - despite her best efforts to hide it from her daughters. By contrast, my uncle is dying of brain tumors and has responded extremely positively - the thing he hates most is when others are sad on his behalf.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-11-21 at 12:39 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you meant the singer..

Its amazing how some people don't crack when faced with their own mortality.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I guess you just push reset on what your goals and priorities are. Keep in mind that she's probably shed plenty of tears, but wants to put on a brave face in public, and I don't blame her. Some people aren't so sanguine though. If you like podcasts, I'd recommend a listen to this interview with DG Myers, who was dying from cancer at the time.
    I don't think it was a coincidence that you took something economics related to pick my brain and answer my question. I really appreciate you putting that much thought to answer me, truly.

Upon more research, I came across Meyer's last blog post before he died. And apart from his metaphysical rhetoric here and there, he gave me the most insightful answer to this thread.

Not to devalue the contributions of Spectral, Pacox, Rich and Yvaelle. I was frankly shocked that the thread only had a couple of posters. But the quality of posters beats the quantity posts.

It's kind of awesome that I can ask questions related to philosophical things and learn and grow. Never expected it in a community of WoW players.

http://dgmyers.blogspot.com/2014/07/...-of-death.html
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-11-22 at 07:34 AM.

Deleted
    Her version of killing me softly is not as good as the original.

Glad for her, she's very brave. You'd be surprised how strong the human mentality is. Everyone sees situations like this and thinks they could never do it, but in my experience most absolutely can. When shit like this happens to you most realize they can either mope or suck it up. I went through prostate cancer, on a lesser scale than other cancers but technically I can still say I'm a cancer survivor.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=THE Bigzoman;30725008]http://www.si.com/college-basketball...ce-player-week "I don't wanna go to the doctor. What if he finds out that i'm gonna die at the end of the month? That would totally ruin the rest of this month for me!"

Also, great example - love that show. Fourth season was a disappointment without the original creator.

Deleted
    If I was told I had a short time to live?

Quit my job, Shit on my bosses desk and run up as much debt I cannot pass on as I can. I'd want to die in style.