Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Tanking with dps gear?

Hey guys sorry if this is a very stupid question but ive just come back into the game and im somewhat confused with all the new changes.

I leveled up as frost and ive done a few heroics now as dps, However i thought it might be nice to try and tank for the faster queues etc. Can i just change my spec and talents and start tanking or do i need to get actual tanking gear?

Thanks

Deleted
    I would absolutely loathe to be your healer. It's probably doable, but I'd very much hate being your healer.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    What would be a good way to start picking up tanking gear? If i play frost wont just frost gear drop?

Deleted
    You should get at least proper trinkets, rings, a necklace and a cloak. The other equip may be subpar for tanking, but since bonus armor appearently doesn't show up on any other items, it should be doable.

Also, right clicking your portrait and choosing the tanking specialization for personal loot will cause questgivers to hand you loot for that specialization, as well as LFR raids to drop only tanking stuff for you.
    Last edited by mmoc30052307fd; 2014-11-21 at 06:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    You should get at least proper trinkets, rings, a necklace and a cloak. The other equip may be subpar for tanking, but since bonus armor appearently doesn't show up on any other items, it should be doable.

Also, right clicking your portrait and choosing the tanking specialization for personal loot will cause questgivers to hand you loot for that specialization, as well as LFR raids to drop only tanking stuff for you.
    All of this. The way I got into HCs the first few days was by getting the war mill, it was simply invaluable. All I had to do was 1 Skyreach normal run for the 640 ring, and I was above the 610 requirement, due to a lot of my quest items proccing rares and epics.

Deleted
    Been tanking heroics with Unholy gear, works just fine. Preferably gem / enchant mastery over Multistrike, though, but nothing's been problematic so far. I wouldn't try it in raids and challenge modes, of course, but heroics aren't that tough.

A very easy thing to do is to just buy the tanking legendary ring, swapping that should be enough. I've been tanking heroics with DPS gear since 618, currently 630 and it's all faceroll.

Quote Originally Posted by aaranu View Post
    What would be a good way to start picking up tanking gear? If i play frost wont just frost gear drop?
    Change your look specialization to blood.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for everyones help!

try to get cape , neck , trinkets, rings with tank stats (bonus armor). Otherwise on normal parts its not really a HUGE diffence, but there are certain stats better suited for tanking than others, the secondary stats preferable are kind of different for any class. For dk i think its mastery, but u can be pretty sure that multistrike is in no case a good tank stat.

Deleted
    I tank heroics with full DPS gear 25 - 30% multistrike is pretty nice and usually coming first with a huge margin on Aoe packs and easily second on single target. Most times people aren't the best while in heroics but it's pretty fun. Death strike can usually top healing at certain points which is pretty insane I can chain pull if I think the healer can handle it.

This is without cape, tanking ring and trinkets. Lolwhowtf, ravencrest if you wish to look me up.

Deleted
    Hey pal,
    A lot of the info posted here, is simply incorrect. For normals and HCs, you can absolutely tank in dps gear with no problems. Every dps stat helps boost your mitigation - however Bonus Armor is still the most effective secondary stat.
    That being said, Str is amazing for Blood at the moment, since your AP boosts your DS healing. So Str trinkets with a dps stat work just fine. Mastery is still great for mitigation, but Multistrike is NOT a bad stat.

Any piece that works for dps, will also work as Blood - and DON'T use Stoneskin Gargoyle, Fallen Crusader is better for tanking.
    GL out there.

just avoid trinket with haste/multistrike procs as they flood you with resources
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    This is actually favorite herb to farm. I'll hop in vent while the guild is running mythics and w/e and talk about me farming it.
    "How many fargenshlackle does it take to rank 3?"
    "I keep falling off these ledges farming this fragglerockenfargle"
    "I can't get this fargenfoliac to gather... is this fargenfurter node bugged" And so on until they mute me.

Deleted
    Never had a single problem tanking HC's, Normals or CM's with DPS gear. Granted, almost all of my gear is BiS for pre-raid content and has been since Sunday, but even while gearing I never really encountered any problems that made me need to take fights extra carefully, and if I did, it was mostly because I was with a healer that wasn't as good as those that I was used to playing with, not that it was much of a road block, it's easy to swap to using more Death Strikes over Blood Boils.

So yeah, feel free to do it in DPS gear. If you have trouble, swap in some tanking rings/neck/cloak and you'll be just fine.

I've easily tanked with DPS gear, with 1-2 bonus armor pieces and have done fine. Just make sure you know when you dip low, I generally like actually tanking in DPS gear as it makes clearing trash mobs equally as fast because I can pull relatively similar numbers with trash as I could as unholy. The only issue you will see with tanking as blood in DPS gear (or tanking as a DK in general) is you're vulnerable to dipping low sporadically through hard hitting fights. As long as you and your healer are on top of it, tanking heroics and challenge modes are relatively simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of bonus armor, it almost doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

The first thing I did, before I asked anyone about their opinion to tanking stats, I got some numbers:
    http://downloads.nestar.ca/BiS_Gear_...ght/Blood.html
    Code:
    Stat Weights
    Stat 		DTPS 	TMI
    Strength 	4.90 	3.97
    Stamina 	0.27 	10.74
    Attack Power 	2.30 	0.96
    Crit 		2.62 	3.17
    Haste 		1.04 	3.28
    Mastery 	3.36 	1.39
    Multistrike 	0.61 	4.77
    Versatility 	2.67 	3.17
    Weapon DPS 	0.09 	0.0
    Bonus Armor 	6.39 	7.62
    Armor 		5.64 	8.39
    It really depends what you prefere with your Blood gear. I got the legendary armor ring for my blood set, but I dont even try to get another armor piece for my gear. I use my unholy gear for tanking with heavy mastery/crit and change some multistrike pieces with versatility for tanking. 190.000 AoE DPS peaks are just fun to watch in random heroic dungeons esp. very usefull with low dps groups.
    Last edited by Ange; 2014-11-23 at 03:16 PM.
    -