Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Thumbs down The Missions<->Followers dynamic is a total mess to be honest.

There two big variables that play a role and they clash together to make an even bigger mess. Especially the second variable is completely uncontrollable by the player hence it will never be fixed without another design. Namely,

1) The abilities of the followers are unclear, they get random traits, random extra traits (quality), with an uncertainty of how they may be used in the future

but most importantly,

2) The missions are completely random. You have no idea if the followers you are making are going to be any good or not.

All in all, it's a total absolute mess to organize or predict.

It may end up being just "let's level them all anyway, and then deactivate/activate as we go along".

But ending up to that is frankly a bad design since it takes away the whole point of organizing it.

Yeah, I don't really get why we have to Deactivate anyone at all... What would the harm be in letting us keep the followers we have? We made the effort to go out and get them all and yet we can't use them when we deem fit unless we pay gold to keep the follower we've already made an effort to have...? I don't mind the way the missions and such are set up, but why limit how many we get?

Quote Originally Posted by Brilynn View Post
    Yeah, I don't really get why we have to Deactivate anyone at all... What would the harm be in letting us keep the followers we have?
    It's more because there's over 200 possible followers per faction, and having them running around your garrison would cause absolute chaos.

1. No; followers have at least one predetermined trait/ability and the rest are randomized. If your looking for something specific, grab the Inn and go find some with the talent your looking for.

2. Each mission has abilities that need to be countered. If a mission needs a follower with say, an interrupt, and you assign a follower with an interrupt to that mission, you will win guarenteed. Unless you assign a lower level follower to a higher level mission (ie, a 94 to a 97), but it'll still be pretty high chances. Your chances of success are quoted before you confirm the mission. Some followers have special bonuses that boost chances when working with another race (ie, a Nelf) or in a specific zone (Nagrand).

Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    There two big variables that play a role and they clash together to make an even bigger mess. Especially the second variable is completely uncontrollable by the player hence it will never be fixed without another design. Namely,

1) The abilities of the followers are unclear, they get random traits, random extra traits (quality), with an uncertainty of how they may be used in the future

but most importantly,

2) The missions are completely random. You have no idea if the followers you are making are going to be any good or not.

All in all, it's a total absolute mess to organize or predict.

It may end up being just "let's level them all anyway, and then deactivate/activate as we go along".

But ending up to that is frankly a bad design since it takes away the whole point of organizing it.
    It's like pet battles, but with followers instead of rabbits. Or something. Mildly entertaining, though if I were to level again in WoD, I wouldn't bother at all with missions, as they tend to chew up garrison resources that are far more valuable spent elsewhere.

On that note, it'd be nice if I could bulldoze the menagerie, and put up another building I was actually interested in, but I guess that's Blizzards way of yet again trying to push pokemon.

... All you do is complain, why even play?

The Missions, and the Followers is really well done. I like that it's random, the choice of whether to go for that mission, or send a more powerful follower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus4eva View Post
    If you could bulldoze the Menagerie, it would be replaced with nothing. It's an optional-participation building, just like the fishing shack, mine or herb garden, but I don't see people complaining about those
    That's because mine and herb garden are actually useful to the character.
    Menagerie and to a lesser extent fishing shack are not.

Personally I like the menagerie and the fact that my pets patrol the base and sometimes even chase after me.

@ follower missions: I still try to make sense of them at all. Seems like a necessary garrison resource dump to me, because once you are up to lv 2 on everything you start to swim in them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Followers will get you raid gear ilvl 645+, that's one above your current progression. Salvage yard level 3 can also net a noticeably high chance at 665 BoE epics. So followers are most definitely not a pointless mini game.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    They kinda copied the garrison follower system straight out of Star Trek Online, it needs time for them to make it better adapted to WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    ... All you do is complain, why even play?

It's statements like this that prove you have nothing to offer but a vent.

Also, it's a lie.

I do wish it was a little less random because I have a lot of followers with the same abilities, so it's hard to get some missions done since I'm starved for certain abilities.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

Deleted
    If your missions burn too many resources, then your Garrison isn't set up well to begin with. I'm about to cap resources with all level 2 buildings and one at level 3, doing nearly all available missions.

It's not a big deal.

Follower quality has zero impact on mission success. None. Only difference is when they turn epic, the get a second counter. And you don't run into missions where you actually NEED an epic follower or two to have a 100% success chance until some of the level 100 ones.

Also, theres VERY easy to get followers that are level 100 already that have just about all counters.

Leeroy, Croman, and Millhouse are all level 100 epic followers by default and will have half the counters you need right there. And they're all piss easy to get.

Matter of fact, I think Talonpriest Ishaal was the lowest follower I had to level to 100 to get one of each counter at 100, and he was 97 so didn't take much.

Counters and level are all that matters for mission success. A level 97 that counters the mission will always have a 100% success rate on a level 97 mission. Doesn't matter if hes epic or green. An epic level 100 follower has a SHIT chance of success on a mission he is 10 levels higher than if he doesnt counter the mechanic, level 90 green bitch would do better with the counter.

Counters and being equal to or greater than level of the mission is the ONLY thing that matters.

Also leveling followers is piss easy. Just spam missions with them. If you have one bitch in particular you wanna level, send him on every mission his level or lower non-stop. Doesn't matter if he succeeds or not, they ALWAYS get base xp, fail or no. So just do it and he'll level. And after they hit 100, a handful of level 100 missions will turn them rare then epic, lots of level 100 missions award asstons of xp, like 12k+ average on those types, ive seen as much as 20k bonus xp on some missions.

Also use your damn inn and headhunt followers with the traits or abilities you want.

Like I said, theres bitches to counter everything already in the game. Use your headhunter to find the TRAITS you want.

Most traits don't mean shit long term. XP gaining trait doesnt mean anything after they turn epic, and is wasted. Scavenger for +200% garrison resources on those types of quests doesn't mean shit once all your buildings are level 3. Best trait you can get is Epic Mount. Reducing mission time by 50% and that motherfucker STACKS. You can turn 10 hour missions into 2.5 hour missions. Or 1 hour missions into 15 minute missions. Headhunt Epic Mount every week or you're doing it wrong. They'll still come with random counters, so you can eventually build a whole level 100 epic team to counter every mission type with ALL of them having epic mount.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    ^ That logic would work if you weren't wrong about the main thing: You have no idea what counters you need. Missions are completely random.

In general I don't get how people enjoy a mini game with so much randomness in it. It's practically like gambling. 60%+ of what you do is rand().

I dare to say pet battles are way better organized.
    Last edited by mmoc156585cbcf; 2014-11-22 at 05:17 PM.

^ That logic would work if you weren't wrong about the main thing: You have no idea what counters you need. Missions are completely random.

In general I don't get how people enjoy a mini game with so much randomness in it. It's practically like gambling. 60%+ of what you do is rand().

I dare to say pet battles are way better organized.
    There is nothing wrong with that logic. The randomness doesn't matter. With 20 active followers you'll have several with the counters you need (unless they're already running missions in which case...you're already running missions).

If a mission pops up that I want to do, either I have the followers ready to do it, or I wait till they finish whatever missions they're on and then send them out again.

The way that sentence comes across, it almost sounds like you don't realize that the missions tell you what counters you need and you then get to choose which followers to assign?

But I'm sure I'm just misreading, you couldn't possibly have gotten it that wrong, could you?

If you mean you have no idea what counters you need for whatever upcoming missions the game is going to throw at you - then yes, that's right. You need to have a team of followers which broadly covers everything if you want to be able to handle anything the game throws at you.

Deleted
    The point is, the follower limit should be disabled (who the fuck counted 200 followers per faction anyways? You can get the followers displayed at your mini map icon plus one from the Inn - send them randomly out of the Garrison to prevent overcrowdness and done) or at least softened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    It's more because there's over 200 possible followers per faction, and having them running around your garrison would cause absolute chaos.
    I count 50.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved the thread to a more fitting section.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I count 50.
    The inn lets you recruit basically an infinite amount, though only 1 per week.

- - - Updated - - -

So build a balanced team with counters spread around. Theres only 8 total I think, and counters affect the success chance more than anything else.