Problems healing Brewmasters

Hi all,

Does anyone else find that healing Brewmasters in 5 mans (both normal and heroic) is more hectic than healing a warrior or pally? I have a friend who plays Brewmaster so when he's online I do groups with him. We can complete the dungeons, but I find the pugs I heal through lfd easier to heal. Even in a normal 5-man he was spiking all over the place. He is a very competent player so I would tend to think its not something he would be doing wrong, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

I also can't compare him to other Brewmasters because I have not seen one in lfd yet.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like Blizzard is aware that Brewmasters are a bit too squishy at the moment https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...48411231268864

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiven View Post
    It seems like Blizzard is aware that Brewmasters are a bit too squishy at the moment https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...48411231268864
    Nice, good to know it's not just me.

Deleted
    Actually I've had the complete opposite feeling. I know that whenever I have a BM tank I barely have to give him any attention at all.

Might be both due to that, but also if you're grouping up with a full group with your friend, so you don't get the 3x5% extra damage/healing/health, from pugs.
    Makes it easier to deal with about everything that way, even if people are far more clueless.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I have had the same experience with our guild tank as well.
    when healing our DK i have much less issues than our monk.

Heck even the warrior with lower gear is easier to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    Actually I've had the complete opposite feeling. I know that whenever I have a BM tank I barely have to give him any attention at all.
    Same. Brewmasters feel really solid. Healing as Discipline, Druids feel the squishiest but only when their shields drop. It also feels like Druids have a higher amount of HP which might explain them feeling a touch more difficult to heal. The difference between all tanks seems pretty minor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    Same. Brewmasters feel really solid. Healing as Discipline, Druids feel the squishiest but only when their shields drop. It also feels like Druids have a higher amount of HP which might explain them feeling a touch more difficult to heal. The difference between all tanks seems pretty minor though.
    I have to agree. Brewmasters have felt very solid to me along with DKs. Druids have most definitely been the hardest to heal for me both pug and guild tank. We tested out some different talents and gear choices and although the pulverize talent helped, the results were still somewhat poor. It has just meant a little more tank focus when druid is present, but again I agree that the difference is minor.

I agree Brewmasters i have no problems healing, same for paladins and warriors but i also think gear helps, had a warrior in a hc wearing greens who died alot and of course i was blamed i just left no problems healing otherwise.

Brewmasters aren't impossible to heal, but they take noticeably more damage than other tanks.

It depends on the brewmaster. They have a very high skill floor compared to the other tanks. A good one will require very little external healing where a bad one will require constant flash heals.

7+ Year Old Account
    it depends on how much haste the BrM has. If the BrM has a ton of haste, they can spend a ton of energy healing themselves and they can use their fire breath to disorient mobs. IMO this is not the intended gameplay as you are not really tanking, you are spamming heals and disorients. If a BrM tries to just sit there and tank stuff, they are going to get rolled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacie View Post
    I agree Brewmasters i have no problems healing, same for paladins and warriors but i also think gear helps, had a warrior in a hc wearing greens who died alot and of course i was blamed i just left no problems healing otherwise.
    My biggest embarrassment so far has been being "outhealed" by a Death Knight tank in CMs due to CoW not being tracked and recorded properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    My biggest embarrassment so far has been being "outhealed" by a Death Knight tank in CMs due to CoW not being tracked and recorded properly.
    I noticed its when I pre-shield, if the absorb is present prior to combat starts, it does not credit you on the meters when refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by brookllyn View Post
    It depends on the brewmaster. They have a very high skill floor compared to the other tanks. A good one will require very little external healing where a bad one will require constant flash heals.
    I this applies to tanks right now in general. I can tell on the first trash pack if this is a tank that raids or not.

I've found warrior tanks to be the worst to heal. I love druid and DK tanks right now.

I once had a really really bad tank who was pulling MoP style and not doing any damage mitigation who left and in came this druid tank who was a dream to heal (and I told him so, I'll give credit where credit is due). It was beautiful being able to take the time to make sure everyone in the group was doing fine. And not constantly button smashing.

15+ Year Old Account
    My problem is that I have problems healing pally tanks for some reason. They just seem so squishy from my experience this xpac.

I've noticed the same squishiness on some Brewmasters. Others are just fine. From what I've read, it seems to depend on how well they are using their active mitigation. So there would be a bigger swing between an experienced or inexperienced brewmaster and an experienced or inexperienced warrior or paladin. The problem I have had leveling this priest is with a lot of brewmasters is rolling from fight to fight like their asses are on fire, getting out of LOS and then getting burned down to half their health before DPS and I can even get there. I try to get a shield and keep renew on them immediately before the next pull. I expect disc priests have an easier time with that with their stronger shields.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    My problem is that I have problems healing pally tanks for some reason. They just seem so squishy from my experience this xpac.
    I've found pally tanks to work the best with disc. They have very good, consistent self healing coupled with a block/parry style and good active mitigation, which really compliments our style, as their self heals will return them to full health while our absorbs soak the damage. Dk's and Druids are very similar, but don't have block, which feels very strong this xpac. Wars and BM monks do not have the same level of self healing, and rely on other forms of damage mitigation, and it's very noticeable. Wars are the opposite, they use absorbs and would be best suited to a non absorb healer. I don't really know enough about brewmasters to really pinpoint the underlying cause, but they, along with warriors, are noticeably harder to heal for disc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vashkar View Post
    The problem I have had leveling this priest is with a lot of brewmasters is rolling from fight to fight like their asses are on fire, getting out of LOS and then getting burned down to half their health before DPS and I can even get there. I try to get a shield and keep renew on them immediately before the next pull. I expect disc priests have an easier time with that with their stronger shields.
    That's just being a bad tank on their behalf.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

It depends also on the player , not necesarily on the class. Untill now i had 2 Brewmasters tanks to heal ( me as disc ) in random HC's , they had similar lvl of gear.With one of them the run went smooth , no wipes , dead's or anything.With the other one...hell on earth.So . yeah , if he knows his class well...shouldnt be a problem.
    I do about 10 hc's runs on a night , and i found DK's to be the most easier to deal with , followed very close by paladins.Warrios on the other side seem to be a pain in the ass for discs...