Poll: Can WoW hit 12M again?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i don't see wow ever hitting 12mil again.

the drop off will be big.
    Hi

Quite possible WoD may go the way of BC and Wrath and gain more subs at the final tier patch than at launch.

Doubt it. Was nice to see it gain some subs, but I don't think that's an indicator of continued growth. I expect to see 500k-1M drop in the next quarter, from people who don't continue to sub after the xpac new and shininess has worn off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Hopefully not. Not to be a prick or anything, but do we REALLY want server queues coming back?
    I want more players so haters can hate more. Server queues will be there regardless, but they significantly boosted most realm capacity by tripple.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. If they hold these numbers it will be more than enough.

I can't believe people are saying "it most likely won't." when everyone was saying it wouldn't pass 8 mill if it was lucky and passed it to 10 mill ..

It will drop back down to 7 million by the end of the first raid tier.

Two weeks ago I would have said that there's no chance in hell that wow will be at 10+ million players at the start of WoD, so I'm not even trying to guess at this point, even if it seems impossible.

I find it more sad that 12m subs would happen rather than being good. Mostly I feel bad for seeing all those players who year after year come back for a few months everytime a new expansion launches then stops playing. People that still are addicted to the game, mostly because there arent anything else interesting in their lives to make it up for the time u spend in the game. Going up to 12M is bascily the same as being back to the end of WOTLK again, feeling we havent really done anything meaningful since and ppl are still addicted to this game

I would want the sub base to be a steady number instead made up of players that are playing the game and not players who "kinda plays the game"

Blizzard is doing a great job right now tho and WoD feels pretty good

If you think about it, it kind of would make sense. Over 3 million people came back for WoD, before it was even out. Now that it is out and all those people are giving it great reviews, it would make sense for even more people want to come back and try it out.

I say we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    The quality they have with wod, i see 12 mill if not more
    Lol

No it won't. We see boosts every start of an expansion. It'll go back down once people realize there's nothing to do besides Garrisonville.

10 Million is the peak of this expansions launch, its a bit surprising, I expected it to be 8 or 9 million but we wont see 11 or 12.

After the initial launch the subs will drop like a hammer.

I suspect by the end of this expansion we will be looking at 6 million exactly, or 5.5 million subs.

That all depends how quickly they focus their efforts on maximizing new content delivery since we tend to consume the content they deliver faster than they can deliver it.

Its also the reason they've stopped releasing raids on launch, because they're afraid that folks will have 0% incentive to remain in the game after they've finished them which is silly.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW is on the downward curve of the adoption cycle. Expansions always bring a ton of people back to the game who quit, so WoW kinda bucks this model a little bit by releasing something "new" every 2 years. Each expansion has its own adoption cycle.

MoP saw so few people return because of the whole panda hate thing. It was an irrational hate, but it still deterred people from coming back.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    WoW hitted 10,000,000 subscribers with EU and US release of WoD and a bit of korea.

The rest of asia had yet to be counted when the new expansion launched.
    Do you think Asia can pull 2M new subs towards WoW with the release of WoD, or do you think 10M is gonna be as high as WoW goes?
    when wow was at 12 million the games chinese gamers had to play was incredibly limited. nowadays they have many free to play options, including other genres like lol, and the console ban has recently been lifted. gaming is becoming easier and easier in china and the days of the net cafe are dying out.

so not likely. but never say never.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Unlikely. It could be possible with a huge marketing campaign/massively hyped expansion (probably involving the movie release, also assuming the movie does well), but overall WoW is still a very dated game that's not going to have the retention rate to see significant sub increases over time.

Do you predict WoW to hit 12M subs again?
    No. Never.
    « DOr shar'adore da shando! » ♥

« Vladka | Ryska | Radka »

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW can most certainly hit the 12m mark...
    All it needs is, to avoid some drastic drainage for the next 12 month, and it's in a golden spot.
    The movie will ultimately draw some new players, or even some former players to WoW.
    I would say, if the movie succeeds, then a couple or three mio sub gains from it is definitely possible.
    Whether that can then be sustained, that's a whole different angle.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Its allready down under 10 mill after this fiasco release.

It will never hit 12 mill.

one week being stuck in dungeon loading screen with transfer aborted instance not found and unable to get into your garrison does that to players

Doubtful.

Expac releases always see a spike in subs, but many of the players simply get the expac, hit level 100, and proceed to quit again.

Deleted
    Does it really matter either way? The game is alive and still plenty of people play that would still be true if only 6 million subscribed. I can never understand why people are that bothered by the numbers, doesn't affect the game I play in the slightest.