Thread: Demonlogy PvP

Demonlogy PvP

I'm currently playing demonlogy PvP, and in most bgs I wreck because I'm given the opportunity (most of the time) to build up DF, but in arenas I'm not able to do any damage at all. I DoT up every target, try to fear and cast spells, but the lockdown and damage compared to other classes are unfathomable. I have no intention of swapping to another spec, just to get that out of the way.

I use Dark Regen, Mortal Coil, Soul Link, Blood Horror, Grimoire of Synergy, Archimonde's Darkness & Demonbolt.

Now I think this is because arena is a lot more fast paced compared to bgs thus not giving the window to build up DF. (The spells I'm using in caster form is mostly corruption / hand of Gul'dan / soul fire with a few shadow bolts here and there, but I've seen some demos been using drain life, though I'm doubtful about it.

Anyone else trying demo PvP? If so tried arena? Wondering if someone know a way to do this...because I would rather swap class than play any other spec. I've only played 2s arena with a warrior friend of mine, fyi.

I'd love some input on all of this, I know the season hasn't even started yet, but it's good to prepare.
    I did it
    I didn't do it
    FAKE NEWS
    What was the question?

Look up some of the Gladiator Demo youtube videos...The build is better WoD and in MoP it was played at +2.7 so its just a matter of adapting to how melee are today.

Theoretically, I find drain life spec much more viable for demo than any dark regeneration. Why? Because demonology is the only spec where drain life has its place as filler spell, and that is while not in demon form (compared to affliction where you have drain soul, where you are going to think twice which one to use because, drain life would for affli probably be a dps loss compared to drain soul, but it ofc provides more than decent hp regen, regarding affli I'm not sure if I should be going for dark regen or drain life spec). Also, worthy of notion is that synergy between dark regen and HS is nerfed a lot, because HS's cd does not reset until you leave combat, and if you find yourself in situation where you can't leave combat such as arenas, dark regen alone without HS to back it up is garbage. Also, I find unending resolve has very good synergy with drain life, so you can easily get away with full drain life channel without being interrupted when in need of heal.

I go with: drain life, mortal coil, soul link (this might change depending on that if i'm facing some 1 shot comps to dark bargain), blood horror/unbound will (depending of setup melee or caster cleave), grimoire of service (i find this far more superior than any other, trust me that second pet is so viable and can make much more difference in games whether it's a burst or cc situation that you need to pull off, it is tricky at first to get used to and it does require a lot of extra binding, you can get away with 4, two for felguard [pop them for extra dps and cc on melee] one bind for target and other for focus, and two for felhunter [same thing as for felguard, 2 macros for target and focus, in fights VS casters and in arenas when you use felpuppy's spell lock on that healer you can rly screw him up, because he surely wouldn't be expecting it hence he won't fake, and I havent seen any locks so far do this and abusing service as CC tool with felhunter and it rly is awesome], just go with grim service and you will be how much control, dps on demand and generally how versatile you will feel, it's definitely a go-to talent for me, archimonde's darkness and demonbolt.

In, MoP, and before that i've been running affli/destro as my specs, now definitely destro is out because of lack of mobility and huge lack of fun factor and where destro lacks demo excels which earned it a place as my secondary spec, where I'm now running affli/demo. Demonology is awesome, there will be some dps tuning buffing demo as well, at least i hope so, because remember how during pre patch they've nerfed demo dps greatly because it wasn't tuned for pre patch but for WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeryn View Post
    I've only played 2s arena with a warrior friend of mine, fyi.
    Yeah this doesn't count.

You're playing a caster with a Warrior, you're going to get attacked 100% of games, and Warriors don't have nearly enough peel for you to do anything at all. If you played with a Rogue it would go a lot better. If you played 3s it would go a lot better.

As for Demonology in arenas in general, it depends on your goal. If you want to dick around with friends go for it, you can easily get 1700-1800 as Demo no problem. If you want to push Glad, you're gonna be in for a rough time. You'll need really good partners because they'll basically just be carrying you. And you'll get trained 100% of games, so bring a good healer. Viable comps with be Rogue/Lock/Shaman or Druid, and Mage/Lock/Shaman or Druid, and that's probably about it. Can't see anything else being viable, you need to be with a class with a ton of control and damage, no other comps will really have that.

In other words you and your pet are a punching bag mana sink and you hope your hero dps partner can land most of a kill before you and your healer run out of CD's on you. So to play at any level you need 2x people who are very skilled, play specific classes (eg rogue), and are willing to put up with you over any other class which would make the comp stronger. Shaman healers get zerged too easily by melee cleaves and we don't have the peels to help anymore. If your rogue blows all his CD's, time, etc peeling your shaman they just swap to you and its over or vice versa.

Deleted
    Are there any streamers currently running demo in 2v2s? This thread makes me sad

Check out Eviaax,Sosseri, or the warlock channel on YouTube for demo. Affliction has always been the best spec for pvp but demo imo is the most fun when it's tuned correctly for damage. The biggest problem is that damage is either to high like early MOP or the pre WOD patch or to low like 5.4 or now. It can still be played but it's just an uphill struggle when the damage is so low.

I did it
    I didn't do it
    FAKE NEWS
    What was the question?

I haven't been playing warlock myself although I got the chance to do some skirmishes with some friends yesterday and at some point I played with a really good warlock (2.8k exp and Duelist on retail). The comp we played was Lock/Windwalker (me)/Disc. Now we tried both Affliction and Demonology and it seemed to work out more as Demo due to Affliction DoTs not being able to do enough pressure on their own (and maybe because I'm not good enough to take full advantage of Storm, Earth and Fire yet, back to this later). Anyways although the w/l ratio was positive we lost most of the games vs Grievous Glads and whatnot except against a Bleached Bones team running prot/rogue/rdruid.
    Basically games were centered around the fact of me setting up pressure on a target at the start or just waiting until enough Fury was banked to initiate a CC chain and attempt a 2-shot. I also had to do most of the peeling since warlocks are barely of any use in that domain.
    The warlock said that casting his fillers didn't really make much of a difference, and the only thing that really mattered was Demon Bolt (which is true from what I've experienced in beta).

The difference in the amount of awareness and effort required between warlock/WW/disc and ret/WW/disc is also very noticeable. Although they were my first 3s games as a WW monk, it was much easier to win games (and against better opponents) with a ret, and we ended up doing much more split pressure than with a warlock. Storm, Earth and Fire felt negligible with a warlock, but with a ret I could often split pressure onto 2 or 3 targets while the ret swapped between them.