Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Online Game Revival

Let me start off by saying a few things first. Wizardry Online was a great game to many. You know that feeling you have when you have found THE game for you? Well that is how the community of Wizardry Online felt once Sony Online Entertainment launched the game in 2012. With close to no advertisement, SOE had only gained a financial drain which caused its early sunset on July 31, 2014. Would Wizardry Online have stayed if there was sufficient advertising? There is an extremely high probability that the answer would be a most definite yes. Take a look at how the game is doing in Japan. Gamepot truly advertises their game which in turn brings in more people, more money, and Wizardry Online JP is flourishing with players!

Once I became known of SOE's decision with Wizardry Online, I felt that devastated feel any gamer would get. I mean come on! I was level 44 and they had just introduced new classes and the day before the announcement I changed class in order to complete my build. (when you change class your level drops to level 1) So you can imagine that sort of blow to the gut. We were all crapped out! So I formed a petition. (yes I know I know) I formed a petition in the hopes that it would gain enough signatures that would change SOE's mind into keeping the game. When we all found out that it was not going to work even WITH enough signatures as per the staff at SOE, I changed the target from SOE to Gamepot so that when we got a ton of signatures, Gamepot would recognize this and opt to throw a lease out for another gaming publisher to pick up in North America. As time went on and arguments were had, the petition became dormant for a few months that held a stagnant signature total of about 200. The game was sunset. Recently, there has been a lot of stirring and a new petition was created in the hopes of a gaming publisher picking up Wizardry Online for North American players and thus, reviving the game we all love.

So now that you guys know the back story in regards to the petition, I'd like to ask if anyone can tell me anything more that I can do as far as gaining a potential impact to reach the main goal? I have created YouTube accounts and have advertised the game on there numerous times. I feel like the only thing that might actually help at this point is this information falling into the right hands. I wish to include the petition as well as the latest video that I had created for exactly the purpose of reviving Wizardry Online, but I am not able to do so right away because of my new member status.

You can find the video that contains all of the information, such as the petition, by searching YouTube for Wizardry Online Revival - US and EU servers .

Please be warned that I do not have the best editing software nor do I have the best on screen recording software. The video is in 360p. The people of Reddit chewed me up and spit me out for that one. The video also features Dubstep (its not that bad, it actually goes with the video pretty well) but that was the other no-no from the people of Reddit. Fair warned.

I really truly would appreciate some answers or at least a path that might lead me to the answers that I seek. I truly thank you for taking the time to read this post. It is truly important to all of us!

If you're unfamiliar with this game, you can search google for wizardry online wikia to find out more information.

~Wizardry Online Community

~GoreJess

~Paragona

I sigh every time I see a 360p video only to discover it was uploaded earlier that year. I think VHS's are 360p, and weren't they introduced in the 70's or something?

Dude are you serious? You don't have the "best desktop recording program"? "Your don't have the best video editing program"?

When I was making UHD resolution videos of me playing my Paladin, it took me half a day of Youtube tutorials to figure out how to make them, four years ago. Getting my hands on some good video editing program wasn't hard either. Googling is already enough.

Seriously, as someone who is in video gaming industry you should know how to use social media to your advantage without an online board telling you. Aren't you a geek yourself? We are all like little online marketing geniuses.

Go for twitter, facebook, youtube, twitch and start spamming even the smallest announcement throughout all channels. Contact some video game papers and online blogs and let them feature .... wizardry online ....

But beware. Just because you think that "it was a great game to many", doesn't mean it actually is a great game to many. It might just as well suck once you introduce it to the masses. So don't be disappointed. Fair warned.

Quote Originally Posted by GoreJess View Post
    The video is in 360p. The people of Reddit chewed me up and spit me out for that one. The video also features Dubstep (its not that bad, it actually goes with the video pretty well)
    You just broke the two BIGGEST rules of uploading Youtube videos. The only thing possibly worse than Dubstep, would be "let the bodies hit the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    You just broke the two BIGGEST rules of uploading Youtube videos. The only thing possibly worse than Dubstep, would be "let the bodies hit the floor"
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    [video=youtube;Dw8K9S8mCFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw8K9S8mCFs[video]
    Masterpiece. Use this for maximum efficiency and your videos shall receive millions of views

10+ Year Old Account
    make the video into 1080p and you will have higher success.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    make the video into 1080p and you will have higher success.

The clips I used from what other YouTubers had previously posted. I was aactually trying to do so last night but some guys were telling me that I'd of had to of record them in 1080p. Understand that I am not a computer wiz. I wish my main focus would be addressed but sadly it is only the video. The video isn't even going to make an impact. It was just for entertainment purposes for these guys who want Wizardry Online back an they all loved the video.

Come on guys. Don't Reddit me here, too about something that isn't even worth it.

No, the game was awful. The UI alone made me want to throw my computer into the middle of the street, set it on fire, and then have monster trucks run over it. As for the gameplay itself, when the game wasn't broken, it was pretty generic, extremely rough, and frequently more frustrating than anything else.

I rarely say this, but Wizardry Online is a game that should never have existed, and it's better off dead. Why SOE bothered to publish it in the West to begin with is truly beyond me. No amount of advertising would have made the game a success.

Quote Originally Posted by GoreJess View Post
    Come on guys. Don't Reddit me here, too about something that isn't even worth it.
    I do not mean to be harsh or hurtful. But it totally is "worth it" and matters.

If your goal is to promote the game, how you present that promotion is vitally important. It is the only thing that is important. Presentation literally can sell products that are non-functional. Literally.

What I would do if I lacked the capacity (and I do lack it, mind you) to record & upload high quality videos is turn my efforts to things I might be better at for promotion. Such as writing thoughtful articles that read concisely but express the aspects of Wizard Online I found compelling. Creating a robust network of enthusiasts, speaking in earnest about the game where appropriate and related to other potentially similar audiences; blogs, reddit, forums, etc.

I would also try to find high quality videos others made on Wizardry Online; link to them, talk about, promote those channels/efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The UI alone made me want to throw my computer into the middle of the street, set it on fire, and then have monster trucks run over it.
    I felt your fury through Mumble when you played this game. I think you typed something that was just like a bunch of random characters followed by like the word "fuck".

So furious. XD

Thank you for your response. I am trying my best with producing information and videos to the best of my ability, I really am. I do care about how things are presented. I just lack it a bit in the computer department, however; I do understand what you are saying. Also understand I am not getting paid for the time I do spend on making a video or two, but I do try my best at making them the best I can. The video I made was actually for a little group on Facebook that contains a fair amount of Wizardry Online players and they all loved it. Someone then lead me to post on Reddit where the video, specifically, was not welcome as much. The only reason I shared here was due to the fact of my newb status within this forum that does not permit me to post any links until I have posted a few times. Since the video contained all information, I displayed on how to search it on YouTube. I do get it, though and I appreciate this comment!

I also uploaded a new video in better quality but as I said I lack in that department, even though its in better quality the video has bars on the tops and sides. Go figure.

Thanks to all.

EDIT: This was in response to Fencers above. I do thank everyone, though.

Don't forget Evanescence. Almost every single video game clip i watch has that awful band in it.

Here's some advertisement "Bob Fucking Dole"

Easy to see and determine how populated Wizardry Online was, Scroll through the pages of the old forum, Each post were in the thousands of views after short time, some in tens of thousands, This doesnt just happen by fluke, a LOT of people were playing Wizardry Online

look for yourself.

Sony killed off Vanguard Saga of Heroes, the Matrix Online and some other games I think. If a game is good people will find it, word of mouth is a powerful thing.

I know there are some movies and even TV series that are pretty good and overlooked but there are a heck of a lot of movies and TV series so that's possible. Games are still rare in comparison.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    let the bodies hit the floor is one of my top 5 favorite songs. sorry you have bad taste in music.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano60 View Post
    Easy to see and determine how populated Wizardry Online was, Scroll through the pages of the old forum, Each post were in the thousands of views after short time, some in tens of thousands, This doesnt just happen by fluke, a LOT of people were playing Wizardry Online

look for yourself.
    Link? Last I remember, the SOE forums are closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Sony killed off Vanguard Saga of Heroes, the Matrix Online and some other games I think.
    Can't speak to Matrix Online, but Vanguard was alive for almost 7 years after despite a beyond disastrous launch which saw the game in what was essentially alpha. They gave it a serious shot again with a F2P revamp and an actual dev team for the first time in years, but given the niche nature of the game and the damage done with the initial launch, it was unfortunately unlikely to ever do well : (

For some reason I cannot throw in an edit into my OP! I've lost so much sleep over this whole thing. I COMPLETELY re-construction the video and improved the quality. Didn't give up the music but at this point I need sleep.

If anyone happens to search for the video Wizardry Online Revival - US and EU on YouTube, the new video is the second one. If you happen to come across the old one you will find it has an annotation that will redirect you to the new video. ugh. Thanks to all who comment!

zZZZ
    Zz

Z
    ZZ

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano60 View Post

look for yourself.
    You registered to say THAT? Hmmm... alternate accounts much? Or did the OP get a friend to come in here and write too?

Sorry OP, but this place isn't for advertising your ventures. Try Kickstarter or whatever, then there's atleast a thread you're allowed to post your promotion in.

I also fail to see the value of said MMO. It appears very bland and extremely generic, not up to 2014 standards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    jesus christ that´s the best music i´ve ever listened to, thank you very much

my ears are bleeding of enjoyment
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.