Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question regarding BM and CM

So i've been trying to prepare myself for doing Challenge Modes with my friends and trying to research specs and gear choices and what not, and there's a few things I can't wrap my head around atm.

I checked out one of Method's hunters that had completed all of the CM dungeons on Gold (already) but from what I could see he went for alot of mastery, so I figured that he'd go for a Mastery scope as well, but he went for a Crit, and that puzzles me.

Also I've been running HC's the last few days as BM, getting a better feel for it, the cleave is very nice, but the single target, im doing around 12k dps with 633 gear (no scope and 615 multistrike trinkets), are the other dps supposed to "carry" my lack of single target or does it just sound like im doing something horribley wrong?

You make up for shit-tier single-target with big dick Beast Cleave where you easily top everyone else.

That's what I thought.

As for gear, just go for Crit > Haste > Mastery > Multistrike > Versatility really.

Had a lot better success with MM compared to BM in CM when doing the daily every day(sometimes forced BM because no Lust in group).

A lot of bosses are much easier with good single-target damage from group, and most trash packs are about focusing down 1 target fast, at which MM is much better than BM.

In CMs I do around 20-25k on trash and 21-22k on bosses if I can DPS full time(eg. not Retard bird boss in Skyreach), where as BM I can pretty comfortably sit at nearly 30k during 3-4 target pulls but on bosses it's at 14k-ish while the Feral in our group always sits at +20k. I like the consistency and burst more, plus those 100k kill shots kick ass clearing trash.

Unless you are trying to go for Gold with mass pulls, go MM. You can get Silver from each CM with just pulling 1 pack at a time and not wiping once.

Deleted
    Crit > Haste > Mastery > Multistrike > Versatility really. ???
    I thought its Crit, Multistrike then the rest
    what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Nextiqt View Post
    what happened?
    It's a challenge mode thread.. It's basically 90% AoE, of course shit's gonna change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nextiqt View Post
    what happened?
    That's for MM, thread is talking about BM

Last time I looked gingi had 2 crit enchants and 2 mastery enchants. It makes sense as mastery is the cleave stat. Keep in mind that their runs are very different from CM dailies, they don't use CC like freezing trap (they will strategically aoe stun of course) but they'll also pull 2+ packs or a pack + a boss so cleave is much more valuable to them. If you prefer MM for the dailies you can lust with a nether rey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Had a lot better success with MM compared to BM in CM when doing the daily every day(sometimes forced BM because no Lust in group).

A lot of bosses are much easier with good single-target damage from group, and most trash packs are about focusing down 1 target fast, at which MM is much better than BM.

In CMs I do around 20-25k on trash and 21-22k on bosses if I can DPS full time(eg. not Retard bird boss in Skyreach), where as BM I can pretty comfortably sit at nearly 30k during 3-4 target pulls but on bosses it's at 14k-ish while the Feral in our group always sits at +20k. I like the consistency and burst more, plus those 100k kill shots kick ass clearing trash.

Unless you are trying to go for Gold with mass pulls, go MM. You can get Silver from each CM with just pulling 1 pack at a time and not wiping once.
    Yes this. You are much better off playing MM for CMs. (If your group needs lust there are LW Drums). And yeah Methods hunter was BM because they do MASSIVE pulls (like the whole first room in UBRS). If you are just trying to get the loot box you will probably be CCing or doing one pull at a time and with chimera shot cleave and a better kill shot MM is much better. We've got silver on all of them very easily (mostly one shots) and our strategy was just focusing the worst target in the group and cleaving off it and once that target is dead pull the next group, and focus that group's worst target down while cleaving off it.

The only time I play BM for CMs is if we need a battle rez. Otherwise, I play MM.

If you're going for Gold and you have a tank that can actually kite everything, you may be able to play BM. But most tanks you'll find are going to pull 1-2 at a time with CC out, rather than pulling enough to make BM viable. Besides, on the boss fights, MM's single target is just way better than BM. You may not be able to get golds with CC strats, but you can certainly get silvers (assuming you wipe only once or so).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutsman View Post
    If you prefer MM for the dailies you can lust with a nether rey.
    I'm guessing you will be forced to play Ammo talent instead of Lone Wolf, would that be the best option? is it still better than going BM even without Lone wolf?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Since 6.0 you don't need to be BM to have pet Bloodlust. Get a Netherray. Blizzard should do a PSA about this fact. Even when using Lone Wolf, just dismiss your pet after using it. You'll lose 4 seconds but I'm pretty sure it's a gain.
    Last edited by mmoca60c1676f3; 2014-11-24 at 05:46 PM.

I still prefer mastery over haste as BM for CMs

I don't play ToTh like Gingi does but Dire Beast is way better single target with low haste
    Probably should just be spec swapping to MM for bosses we lust on anyways

15+ Year Old Account
    We had done every CM on Beta and are now in the process of repeating this on live.
    Our main problem is the time of doing this as we are raiders from two seperate guilds.

Ive used to play Beastmaster for teh AoE lulz and respecced to Marksman for singletarget Bosses as it will be much more Deeps than BM on singletarget. You should know where you have the 5 seconds to respecc and which boss is viable for BM.

Thanks for the netherray, will catch me one today!

100% Achievements - "Warlords of Draenor Edition" - 03.02.2016 - 05:52 CET
    Hunter Armory | Guild: Gambit (German) | Sellruns / Boosts (German)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephonim View Post
    So i've been trying to prepare myself for doing Challenge Modes with my friends and trying to research specs and gear choices and what not, and there's a few things I can't wrap my head around atm.

I checked out one of Method's hunters that had completed all of the CM dungeons on Gold (already) but from what I could see he went for alot of mastery, so I figured that he'd go for a Mastery scope as well, but he went for a Crit, and that puzzles me.

Also I've been running HC's the last few days as BM, getting a better feel for it, the cleave is very nice, but the single target, im doing around 12k dps with 633 gear (no scope and 615 multistrike trinkets), are the other dps supposed to "carry" my lack of single target or does it just sound like im doing something horribley wrong?
    If your in a competent group who is pushing for golds the bosses are not the issue, to save time on the trash you need to aoe with much larger pulls and cd's while using aoe stuns etc to mitigate the most of the damage so BM is easily the best spec with its dominant burst cleave. Mastery is very strong for this purpose and crit is always good early in an expansion irrespective of what your doing hunter wise.

If you are in a group who just want to get the daily done bosses can be more of a problem and trash is handled in a lot slower fashion so killing the primary kill target normally a healer or an add that buffs other trash killing it asap is the key then go MM. I like TotH/AMoC/Barrage as MM for these types of CM's, just make sure you are pooling focus for CS, aMoC, Barrage whenever they come off CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilent View Post
    Yes this. You are much better off playing MM for CMs. (If your group needs lust there are LW Drums).
    It baffles me how many hunters don't know you can play MM/Lone wolf and still have lust.

And yeah Methods hunter was BM because they do MASSIVE pulls (like the whole first room in UBRS).
    100% No way anyone can pull that entire room and live in a CM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkmalice View Post
    It baffles me how many hunters don't know you can play MM/Lone wolf and still have lust.

100% No way anyone can pull that entire room and live in a CM.
    The whole group were throwing Engineering bombs to stun the mobs, that's how they did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    More amusing than that is the fact that the entire basis behind Sinestra as a lore character is that she was the only dragon who was able to withstand the power of Deathwing's cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Effinhunter View Post
    If you're going for Gold and you have a tank that can actually kite everything, you may be able to play BM. But most tanks you'll find are going to pull 1-2 at a time with CC out, rather than pulling enough to make BM viable. .
    Well, he IS looking at a top hunter that has entirely completed the Gold CMs. I'd say their tank was pulling extremely fast and every spec in there was tailored to do bursty mutli-target. I might even go so far as to guess that they might have even switched specs for single target bosses to maximize DPS.

All that said, OP isn't going to be in a group with top players (most likely) so I'd still say a safe bet is MM. Looking at top players sometimes can be really confusing, as they can sometimes do really strange things to take advantage of certain niche objectives that suit their progression goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Samfisher View Post
    The whole group were throwing Engineering bombs to stun the mobs, that's how they did it.
    Lol always bombs making bugs.