Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Frost mage burst isnt that good, really. Your numbers look good, but the prismatic crystal fakes up tp 50% of your burst dmg

Quote Originally Posted by mcyclone View Post
    i too am a devout arcane spec fan ever since our glory days in WotLK
    Wait, what?! That was only number wise and with respect of balance it was completely broken. It was the go-to specc for beginners since it was only necessary to use one button with occasionally cool downs every other minute and top meters, besides that the specc had really nothing to offer (even mana reg was broken). You may also call it the dawn of the "modern" fire specc, since it was easily manageable to get to values where it was statistically more possible to get proccs than none at all.

Back on topic: I'd really recommend to stay arcane if you like the specc. I'd bet they will do some adjustments to burst and sustained damage, as they usually do very quickly after there's enough data on recent content aka. lvl100 now. And to be fair: there won't be many raids that are going to rely on 5% more dmg from one player alone. (Most raid leaders that think they are now in this stage of the expansion possibly aren't part of the maybe 5 per mille world first league!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Frost mage burst isnt that good, really. Your numbers look good, but the prismatic crystal fakes up tp 50% of your burst dmg

I... I ...

Please stop

If you enjoy the bench, sure!
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

You are drunk. Time to stop posting.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from, but this is completely incorrect.

I have the same problem like you. I was so sure to run arcane, but im slowly starting to gather frost gear. I didnt think i would do that, but since i did daily CMs on my arcane mage im just frustrated. Its not even about bad dps. But the work and concenration one has to put into arcane just to do "ok" is to much. When i compare it to my performance in dungeons when i ran frost just to try it i mean...pff. I did the same or even better as frost while it would have been basicly possible to read the newspaper next to it.

Maybe it's time for you to get rid of frost bomb and use 2x ice nova to see insane burst
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Homsel View Post
    Wait, what?! That was only number wise and with respect of balance it was completely broken. It was the go-to specc for beginners since it was only necessary to use one button with occasionally cool downs every other minute and top meters, besides that the specc had really nothing to offer (even mana reg was broken).
    I remember, back in wrath, the day after blizzard released a patch promising to reduce the amount of burst in the game, i was three shotting people in arenas. easy or not it, it was tons of fun! for me this was the best time for arcane mages

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyaelan View Post
    I am a huge arcane fanboi. I LOVE arcane.

I switched to frost two days ago, when I realized people 10 iLevels below me were outDPSing me.

Mages are just in a cruddy place at the moment.
    If you're losing to people 10 ilvls below you thats just bad play.

If you want to the very best that no one ever was, then no. If you want to play the game, and don't have high ambitions of becoming the very best that no one ever was, then sure.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    If you're losing to people 10 ilvls below you thats just bad play.
    Or he faced some windwalkers

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    You are playing a video game. Play the class / spec / talents / way you want. If your raid leader has a problem, find another raid.
    Normally, most people would agree with the above (including myself).

BUT...

The above also holds true if you're doing Heroics with guild groups ONLY. The moment you step out into the unwashed masses i.e. Lfg and join random heroic groups, you had better be rocking a spec that can post numbers at least middle of the pack (because attempting to explain to 2 other dps, the tank and a healer that you're playing a spec you have fun with vs. a spec that can dps reasonably well, will get you kicked from the group. Every. Single. Time.).

Of course, if you can make it work for you (e.g. like Garrod in this thread), then by all means play arcane.

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are planning for serious progression content, then yes switch to the spec with the highest damage output and mobility which is frost. I don't think arcane is that far behind now but from what I've heard; mobility is a big issue in which the current raid tier will be very unforgiving.

However if you're just playing for fun and your raid group is not taking progression seriously then do what ever you want.
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    Or he faced some windwalkers
    And MM hunters, although I can keep a lot closer to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corazu View Post
    And MM hunters, although I can keep a lot closer to them.
    a MM hunter 10 ilvls below you isnt beating you unless you're doing something wrong ( like playing fire :P ). You guys have great imaginations though :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Ice Lance is the only castable spell on the move, however:

1. You can randomly get many Fingers of Frost procs which makes casting Ice Lance hugely beneficial. This increases movement potential.
    2. You can force many Fingers of Frost procs - 2 every 25 seconds from Water Ele Freeze/Water Jet and at least 1 every minute from Frozen Orb. This increases movement potential.
    3. You can randomly get many Brain Freeze procs which makes casting Frostfirebolt instant cast + damage increase. This increases movement potential.
    4. If all of the above fail, you have 3 charges of Ice Floes to fill in any gaps where movement is required.

You move during all of the above and not lose any dps.

Soooo did mages get a stealth nerf today or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyaelan View Post
    I am a huge arcane fanboi. I LOVE arcane.

I switched to frost two days ago, when I realized people 10 iLevels below me were outDPSing me.

Mages are just in a cruddy place at the moment.
    Such a shame, too. We were looking great before WoD launched. Now we're just shit overall, with Frost being shit with sprinkles on it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things will get better once we are at a good haste and multistrike levels, at least that's my opinion. Should at least decrease the unfortunate RNG periods were you get nothing from procs.