Need opinions from computer geeks who play WoW... like you. :)

I have a 4 year old "All in One" PC that my wife bought me, thinking it would be great to play World of Warcraft on, since the box showed WoW on the screen of the PC. She knows nothing about computers except how to use them..... she never even thought about the fact that this computer doesn't even have a video card. Well, I still play WoW, but with the new expansion that came out about 10 days ago, this computer is absolutely worthless for playing WoW. I used to get 30 frames per second before the expansion, and now, I get anywhere from 4 FPS to 22 FPS, and average around 13 - 14 FPS.Oh, h, and now it freezes up, and it also DC's from WoW.... like 10x day.... I am sure it is the computer, and not WoW.

We just did a boatload of home improvement so I don't really want to buy a new PC right now.

Anyway, I have a 6 year old PC that does have a video card. It was, at that time, a very high end video card..... a high end GeForce card. And I was wondering if you think that would be more likely to run WoW better?

I know, I can't really know until I try it out, but it is currently sitting in someone's basement. I loaned it to someone until they could get a new one..... and the guy lives about 50 miles away. And he can't bring it to me as he lost his license for too many DUI.

I guess, and this just occurred to me, that that PC might be running XP, which might be dangerous to use as far as virus protection goes.

Before I make that trip, I was wondering what you think. BTW, I did upgrade my drivers, and it definitely did not help. It might even have made it worse.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

What is your other PC's specification(what hardware is in it)?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    What is your other PC's specification(what hardware is in it)?
    I have no idea.... It hasn't been in my home in 2 years.... but I can tell you that when I bought it, it was almost "high end" for back then.

I'm hoping to get a new computer as soon as we pay off all these home improvement bills.

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

Well without knowing what is in the other system we won't be able to figure out much

If it's from 2008 and high end(some of the best options you could get) then hopefully it has a Core 2 Quad in it or AMD Phenom X4 and a HD 4870/GTX 260 in it and you should be able to run the game fairly well with those.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

What's the brand and model? Most all in ones use laptop hardware and won't have the slots needed for expansions.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

My old PC was about 5-6 years old and had a mid-high end ATI card (Radeon 3800 i think), 4gb of DDR1 and an AMD X2. It struggled a bit with games like Far Cry 3 unless i turned everything down to medium. WoW ran nice and smooth with lots of addons at medium-high unless i was in a 25 man, where i needed to turn everything down to low.

Obviously if you want to do 25 man raiding on ultra then you'll need a better rig

If it's similar spec (i highly doubt you'll have a high end Geforce card in a machine with lower spec than mine) you'll be fine. However budget for Windows 7 as XP is now end of life.

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    What's the brand and model? Most all in ones use laptop hardware and won't have the slots needed for expansions.
    I'm not trying to upgrade the all in one.... just wondering if people thought the 2 year older, higher end computer would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    I just wondering if people thought the 2 year older, higher end computer would be a better choice.
    That is pretty much your only option as the AIO will be pretty much un-upgradeable. Now the fun part is figuring out what parts it has

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    I'm not trying to upgrade the all in one.... just wondering if people thought the 2 year older, higher end computer would be a better choice.
    The 2 year old PC is a better choice for upgrading. Without knowing what is inside either PC we can't tell you if its worth the drive or not, that part is up to you.

If its running ddr1 memory and has xp on it its a dinosour...its only worth running older xp games....

I wouldn't bother upgrading anything now adays unless its running ddr3 memmory atleast/ and has something thats atleast i3-5-7.

If you don't want to venture into building your own and don't want to buy new....you could try overstock.com.....

otherwise we'd advise you to build new...500$ for a decent intel build or you could try to save money and learn to build amd for 2 to 300 bucks.....but you get what you pay for....you can save 100 bucks if you use your old windows license from the all in one....but you would need an install media....or download an ISO and install it to dvd or flash drive...there.s google guides for that.

you could just try a system clean on the all in one....and update the drivers...

1) start/run-msconfig-------turn off start up programs/ turn off services you don't need(check hide microsoft services- then disable all) restart
    2) revo unistaller---unistall programs you don't need----find adware/malware programs.
    3) Ccleaner---- clean your system of junkfiles and junk registry items.
    4) malwarebytes---
    5) virus scan
    6) rootkit scan---NPE norton power eraser is one.
    7) auslogics---- defrag program.