Black friday/cyber monday

My current computer is turning 8 years old next month which means I can pretty much only play a select number of games on the lowest setting possible. I'm even starting to struggle to run those games as they get updates/expansions.

I built my current computer and would have no problem assembling a new one. What I struggle with is knowing what parts are compatible and honestly what most of the specs mean for performance.

I was looking around and a lot of the comments on the pre-made computers there are people at a glance who say "oh the power supply is insufficient and the psu is way below the rest of the parts." I would genuinely have no idea with out some one telling me that was true.

I'm looking to spend around $800 give or take and I'm hopeful to get a computer that will last me at least another 5-6 years with out upgrading.

If any one has any recommendations that focus on savings I would greatly appreciate it. If you'd recommend I wait until it gets closer to black friday or cyber monday I'd understand. A lot of places have sales already up and not sure if those will change on the shopping day itself.

Budget: 800, +/- 200
    Resolution: I have an 1680 by 1050 widescreen monitor that I have no real reason to replace.
    Games / Settings Desired: I'd like to not run WoW on the lowest settings and still have bad fps
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: None, I do watch a lot of anime and I have to perpetually delete things to make space on my 120 gig hard drive. I'd like some thing in the 2 terabyte range.
    Parts that can be reused: No
    Do you need an OS?: Yes
    Do you need peripherals? I don't need, but if there are speakers that you'd recommend on sale I would definitely take you up on it.
    Last edited by hexagram; 2014-11-24 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($139.80 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $734.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 13:51 EST-0500

This will be able to max out your current resolution no problem and will be able to get you great performance if/when you eventually switch to 1080p (1920x1080)

pcpartpicker dot com/p/88YJRB
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.92
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $91.14
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.98
    Storage:Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $101.47
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $179.99
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $52.98
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $13.99
    Total: $813.45

Sorry my account is too new to post links. I was lurking for a bit reading every thing that got posted. This was just a composite list of parts other people had recommended.

Do I need a network card for a hard wired internet?
    Do I need multiple memory sticks?

The memory, video card, hard drive and case seemed like they were great black friday deals.
    Any feedback at all is very greatly appreciated.

A little tweaking to Notarget's build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($51.00 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $778.61
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-26 11:01 EST-0500
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Sorry if this is a stupid question. What does this do for a computer?

Any comment on if I needed a network card?

Quote Originally Posted by hexagram View Post
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. What does this do for a computer?
    It's basically a really fast Hard Drive minus the moving parts.

The downside is that compared to a HDD they cost a good bit more and you get alot less space. The upside is you can startup your computer in roughly 15-20 seconds and programs(that also goes for anything you have on it) like Firefox will load up near-instantly and loading screens in games would be very short(around 1-2 seconds for WoW). The hard part of having one is managing the limited space(personally I have my OS and all my most-used programs on it + 5 ~10GB games and still have 30GB of free space) and remembering that you do not need to defrag it as it doesn't have to search for bits and bytes scattered over moving platters like it does on a HDD.

And the Motherboard had a Ethernet Port so you can just use that, no need to get a card for wired internet.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Some one looking it over told me to always buy memory in pairs. He said to get another 8 gb stick. Does this sound like good advice?

It's generally ideal to run 2 sticks as motherboards are generally dual-channel, though you won't really notice a performance difference(outside benchmarks) by getting a single 8GB stick. The downside is that a single stick is usually more expensive and looks all lonely in there by itself

I think he wanted me to buy 2 of the 8 gig memory sticks is what he was suggesting, but if you're telling me it's not needed then I'd rather save the money.

No you do not need 16GB of memory at the moment, especially when it is a gaming computer. Besides, you can always add another pair of 4GB sticks later on since the motherboard chosen has 4 memory slots on it

Did you have any comments about the one I posted? I tried to focus on the parts with the biggest savings, but if that doesn't make for a good pc then I'll take you up on your suggestion.

pcpartpicker dot com/p/6nwPYJ

Deleted
    Main reason I didn't have an SSD at the time was because the total was like $900 before rebate. If OP is fine with that then by all means go for it, SSD is amazing.

I wouldn't buy a SandForce based like Kingston SSDNow, they're pretty hit or miss.

Get this instead (imo):

Crucial MX100 128GB

If you don't need a ton of storage right now skip the low capacity SSD and HDD for now and pick up a bigger SSD, it'll be cheaper or as cheap. Or pick up both HDD and 256GB SSD

Crucial MX100 256GB $99

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't get the V300. It's performance is practically the same as a 2TB+ 7200 RPM HDD... which is pretty sad.