Deleted

Alternatives to the r9 270x (WoD)

Looking at the battle.net forums they do seem to be inundated with complaints about low fps on this card.

Due to me purchasing this for a budget system primarily for WoW, I'd rather avoid something which could potentially have issues.

Even the mods are advising to avoid the r series cards for now.

So is there any good alternatives for a budget system?

Deleted
    We don't know what "budget" means. My "budget" means 300bucks/euro your means 500... you know were i am getting at
    A similar card and a little better would be a gtx 760.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    We don't know what "budget" means. My "budget" means 300bucks/euro your means 500... you know were i am getting at
    A similar card and a little better would be a gtx 760.
    Ah my bad, somewhere around the same price, so £110 and below. Not entirely sure the £40 difference warrants a 760.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    750ti is the only option in the price range you want on NVIDIA stand point, but it is slightly behind the 270X on performance.

You consider that a lot of those complaints are people with old computers (or just plain low end CPUs primarily AMD) upgrading to a new GPU expecting perfect performance when the bottleneck was always with their CPU? Plenty of people on these forums play WoW on a 270X. Biggest downside to the AMD cards is just that sometimes drivers have issues with new patches of WoW and such, but that doesn't typically last long at all. Happens on both NVIDIA and AMD cards, just seems more often on AMD.

Keep in mind the battle net forums are not a tech forum. The tech support forum there is for people with computer issues, which means the majority of them don't know their way around a computer much less understand the bottlenecks of certain hardware in certain situations. I've been on those forums and countless times seen "why are my frames so low in raids with a 780ti?" and in reality they bought a 780ti (just an example) while running around with an old Athlon AMD CPU. And sometimes they just plain don't know that they need video card drivers. A lot of them probably listened to the wrong people or had some prebuilt they bought at best buy a few years prior and thought a GPU upgrade was the solution.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-11-24 at 05:33 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    750ti is the only option in the price range you want on NVIDIA stand point, but it is slightly behind the 270X on performance.

You consider that a lot of those complaints are people with old computers (or just plain low end CPUs primarily AMD) upgrading to a new GPU expecting perfect performance when the bottleneck was always with their CPU? Plenty of people on these forums play WoW on a 270X. Biggest downside to the AMD cards is just that sometimes drivers have issues with new patches of WoW and such, but that doesn't typically last long at all. Happens on both NVIDIA and AMD cards, just seems more often on AMD.

Keep in mind the battle net forums are not a tech forum. The tech support forum there is for people with computer issues, which means the majority of them don't know their way around a computer much less understand the bottlenecks of certain hardware in certain situations. I've been on those forums and countless times seen "why are my frames so low in raids with a 780ti?" and in reality they bought a 780ti (just an example) while running around with an old Athlon AMD CPU. And sometimes they just plain don't know that they need video card drivers. A lot of them probably listened to the wrong people or had some prebuilt they bought at best buy a few years prior and thought a GPU upgrade was the solution.
    Aye I considered that, however when I saw the mods warning people off it alarmed me. Usually I assume they're supposed to sit on the fence.

Would a G3258 overclocked to 4.3+ be considered a bottleneck with a 270x considering WoW only really utilitizes 2 cores?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifuriex View Post
    Aye I considered that, however when I saw the mods warning people off it alarmed me. Usually I assume they're supposed to sit on the fence.

Would a G3258 overclocked to 4.3+ be considered a bottleneck with a 270x considering WoW only really utilitizes 2 cores?
    As long as your not pushing much in the background (skype/mumble and some browsing would probably be about the most you'd want to keep up) that CPU would be fine. But if I may ask, why were the mods suggesting that it was a bad choice? Doesn't make much sense other than the fact that they typically recommend NVIDIA over AMD due to the whole driver ordeal. The 750ti would work though if you really didn't want to give the AMD a go, you might just have to turn shadows down or something with the WoD changes (haven't had much insight on how that card holds up to tell you exactly where it sits in performance on the highest possible settings).
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I would agree with the comment above.

I have very recently upgraded my PC to include a R9 270X and I have to say I have been more than happy with the results. I run it with a AMD A8-5500 and just 8GB of ram which is really nothing special at all. I can run WOW on Ultra (windowed fullscreen in full HD) and can still easily use my second screen to stream Youtube or Netflix and achieve 50+ FPS in the open world.

I also recently bought a similar setup (along with an R9 270X) for my younger brother and he has also had no problems running the craft.

As a side note it's important to make sure that your power supply is compatible with this card as some models (including mine) require 2 x PCie power inputs, I went with a 550W Coolmaster power supply to go along with this to ensure it always has enough power.

No providing enough power will usually lead to system instability and might go some way to explain people experiencing causes random crashes/reboots.

if you want to get off the AMD R series cards you will need to be willing to drop some cash, the Asus GTX 760 is a good option and us $200 US ( about $150 EU ) but should drop $20 or 30$ for cyber monday.

the 760 is a great card for the price and I will be replacing my Radeon HD 6670 with one on cyber monday.

Deleted
    If you can push to ~£140, then the R9-280 is a beast of a card for that price (I got lucky and found an open-box 280 for sub-£100, so... )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    if you want to get off the AMD R series cards you will need to be willing to drop some cash, the Asus GTX 760 is a good option and us $200 US ( about $150 EU ) but should drop $20 or 30$ for cyber monday.

the 760 is a great card for the price and I will be replacing my Radeon HD 6670 with one on cyber monday.
    Just a friendly remember, we dont have a cyber monday in the EU. Maybe some shops might do something, but I wouldnt expect it.

As for the OP, you either get a 750ti or a 270x. And the 270x is just a lot more powerfull.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1043?vs=1130

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Just a friendly remember, we dont have a cyber monday in the EU. Maybe some shops might do something, but I wouldnt expect it.

As for the OP, you either get a 750ti or a 270x. And the 270x is just a lot more powerfull.

wow EU gets screwed. and as for the cards between the 750Ti and 270X the 270X winsa hands down, the 750Ti is at best an entry level BASIC gaming card, the performance jump from the 750Ti to 760 is huge!!

Having just built a computer with a r9 270x and an intel it5-4690k, I can assure you that the card is not the issue. I get over 100fps in the open world on high-ultra settings on a 24 inch monitor and 1080p while streaming twitch on source quality (60fps) on a 32 inch TV.

Deleted

We get Cyber Monday, Black Friday in Denmark apparently just like we adopt everything else from the US. Granted it's limited to some stores but there are a lot of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    We get Cyber Monday, Black Friday in Denmark apparently just like we adopt everything else from the US. Granted it's limited to some stores but there are a lot of them.
    Yeah, but you have higher hardware prices anyway :P

Give me cheap prices all year vs a black friday/cyber monday

Deleted
    Yeah, but you have higher hardware prices anyway :P

Give me cheap prices all year vs a black friday/cyber monday
    Indeed, agreed

Deleted
    Only issue ive found with 270x is the card is really long and doesnt seem to fit into any micro atx case easily. I want something easily transportable.

Deleted
    Which length does it support?