[Balance] What is the Optimal Time to Switch Casts?

Hello!

When reaching the midpoint between lunar and solar, when is it best to switch? I've occasionally found myself in a situation where the cast time would end up with me past the correct eclipse, but it's too early to cast the other spell. I'm sure there's a good way to do this, but I haven't figured it out myself. Sorry if it sounded confusing!

If you can make the decision on the fly to cast starfire that you know will land in lunar when you are on your way out of solar you should do it. But even if you are mid cast and the bar changes sides, just finish the cast.

I've been looking to confirm this although I didn't look super hard yet. So any extra eclipse damage is based on where the bar is at the end of the cast? It is not where it is at the beginning of the cast? My gut feeling is it is based on where the bar is once you start casting as damage buffs and haste, etc. to the spell (I'm nearly positive) is snapshotted at that point. So it would make sense any extra eclipse damage is based on where the cast starts. So a lunar starfire ending in solar would gain what little lunar buff you had once you started it, not the solar buff when it ended.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrberry View Post
    I've been looking to confirm this although I didn't look super hard yet. So any extra eclipse damage is based on where the bar is at the end of the cast? It is not where it is at the beginning of the cast? My gut feeling is it is based on where the bar is once you start casting as damage buffs and haste, etc. to the spell (I'm nearly positive) is snapshotted at that point. So it would make sense any extra eclipse damage is based on where the cast starts. So a lunar starfire ending in solar would gain what little lunar buff you had once you started it, not the solar buff when it ended.

Im pretty sure its the other way around, damage is based on when the cast finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrberry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    Im pretty sure its the other way around, damage is based on when the cast finishes.
    Kadde is right, now dmg is calculated when cast finishes, there is no snapshot anymore. Every buff and bonus dmg is calculated when cast finishes.

but you have to remember that transition point is not at 0 (it only indicates transion when moonfire will change into sunfire and vice versa), look in other topics there is a huge discussion about it. Lappe even put a nice spreadsheet to calculate personal transition points.
    Last edited by Beyote; 2014-11-25 at 10:00 AM.

the only thing that is checked for casts at the start is haste, the rest is checked at the end

ask literally any destro lock

You shouldn't cancel a cast anyway. The possible dps gain would be offset by the loss from the cancelled cast.