Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lithy View Post
    To think words could have multiple meanings :O

The reactions to this are more immature than the word, by far.
    Any insult should get you disqualified on the spot... the particular word used should have no bearing on it at all...

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a pretty fuckin stupid thing to say, i can understand him being banned. I dont think you could get away with this in any sport, imagine an american footballer being interviewed, "WE'RE GONA RAPE EM" Im sure he would in deep shit.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Any insult should get you disqualified on the spot... the particular word used should have no bearing on it at all...
    Many words are used everyday in the workplace, sports etc that have different meanings. Context is important, intent is important. Imagine if we all had the attitude half of you have towards 'words', life would be horrible.

Just because he used the word rape, doesn't mean he meant he wanted to commit this form of sexual assault on this person.

What's even more alarming is the blatant and obvious sexism shown. This term is used frequently between males, and also said by females, and yet no one bats an eyelid. It's only when it's used by a male towards a female and a company is involved where reputation matters that these things are given any attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Free speech has consequences sometimes. You are free to say what you want, but you may see a negative consequence for things you may say.

Nobody censored him, he freely expressed himself. And the organization freely used their power to ban him from a tournament for behavior which they do not want associated with the tournament or their organization.

Don't see the issue.
    Not on the Internet, it shouldn't.

SJWism is cancer enough IRL, I want that shit out of my r&r hours, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    It's a pretty fuckin stupid thing to say, i can understand him being banned. I dont think you could get away with this in any sport, imagine an american footballer being interviewed, "WE'RE GONA RAPE EM" Im sure he would in deep shit.
    Oh come on, gaming and football are clearly different.

Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post
    I would really love to see evidence of a tweet saying "Going to go rape some man soon" and not just a generic "Awww yeah! I just raped that guy!" while in the middle of a match.
    Don't really see the difference. The term is used in exactly the same manner. In both cases it's obvious for everyone involved that no literal rape happened or was about to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Truestrike View Post
    Well-off, privileged, attention seeking white girls
    Please take your victim rant elsewhere.

I opened this thread and heard a faint murmur from the window, it began to grow louder as time passed until i could hear out the words being shouted, seemingly by hundreds, thousands of people at once. In a gap between gusts of air, my ears deciphered the words - "Who cares?" they rang, and I began to chat with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    1. SC2 is not a sport, its an e sport
    2. He wasn't being interviewed, fail comparison
    3. Footballers have killed people, raped people, beaten their wives etc and they still remain in career after being uncovered.
    4. See a doctor if you reread your post and find it coherent

If the tables were turned, and the girl had tweeted that she was gonna "rape the guy" this would've played out sooo differently.

A double standard at its finest.

1) tell this the guys that made half a million dollar prize money from tournaments.

and im pretty sure that sport teams are going to rape their opponents in their intern speech on a daily basis. I have raped my arena opponents 1000s of times.

Its just a term. same as for example calling someone who is greedy a jew. Or someone who steals a pole. Or someone who is dumb and slow a bimbo. People do it all the time, and if it goes public , some guy feels offended enough to try to make a internet shitstorm about it.

Deleted
    Public person being punished for bad behaviour, that really isn't anything new, and subsequently never has been. Also of all the ways one could have written that tweet to indicate that he was going to beat or crush or whatever the opponent, that is probably by far one of the worst one he could have come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Not on the Internet, it shouldn't.
    Why not? It does all the time, as you see executives lose jobs over foolish things they say via social media.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Oh come on, gaming and football are clearly different.
    Both are paid professionals, one could say "athletes" (esports, irl sports). How is that "clearly different"?

Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    3. Footballers have killed people, raped people, beaten their wives etc and they still remain in career after being uncovered.
    And most reasonable people would say that they're frequently treated far too leniently by the law, and infinitely too leniently by the leagues they're a part of. What's your point? "X SPORT DOESN'T HANDLE SHITTY BEHAVIOR BY THEIR PLAYERS SERIOUSLY, SO OURS SHOULDN'T EITHER!" is a poor argument.

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    If the tables were turned, and the girl had tweeted that she was gonna "rape the guy" this would've played out sooo differently.

A double standard at its finest.
    I agree, but the point of this thread is the actual issue at-hand. When the opposite arises (which you mention), folks should absolutely call it out and highlight the hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I get he didnt mean to ACTUALLY rape her, and meant it in gamer lingo "I'm gonna wreck that person", I'm fine with him being DQ. He's an idiot, rude, and should not be the public face of anything if he cant learn to censor his speech when he's competing. COmpanies have images to uphold, and so are in every right to dismiss those who violate that.

and before I get accused of SJW for rape, I;d do the same if someone said they'd murder (or rape a guy)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think professional players should be... well... more professional. They should have respect towards each other. When someone says "I'm going to rape that girl", it is nothing criminal, but it is a very poor choice of words, a very jerky and assholish way to say the same thing as he could have said way friendlier.

I am not a girl, but if I was and someone said he would rape me, I would most certainly feel terrible about it. Jokes about "rape" may be funny among guys, but I don't think girls find it funny. It is like a white guy telling nasty jokes about black people to black people - it is just inappropriate.

Now, I don't think he should have been banned for it, it all happened outside of the game, anyway. But he should definitely have apologized profoundly, not just deleted his message. And, I think, in this particular case, they should have done something to prevent these two players from playing against each other.

Video games, unfortunately, tend to collect a lot of socially poor and immature people . Maybe in 10-15 years the gaming population will change and more adults will be there to give an example to kids, but today, unfortunately, online games, even on a professional level, are full of assholes who use them as a playground to test their ego defending skills.

I think a lot of gamers have become desensitized to saying stuff they couldn't really get away with saying to someone's face. Even though it happens, it generally isn't acceptable to tell someone you're going to rape them (male or female). Even if you say it indirectly, or even about yourself ("I just got raped"), it strikes most people as a bit awkward.

If I had to guess why the term has become even more taboo lately, I'd attribute it to women gaining a lot more social power in the last few years (since they're the gender most affected by the term). Kind of like how "fag" is out of fashion now (due to homosexuality becoming more accepted).

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think professional players should be... well... more professional. They should have respect towards each other. When someone says "I'm going to rape that girl", it is nothing criminal, but it is a very poor choice of words, a very jerky and assholish way to say the same thing as he could have said way friendlier.

I am not a girl, but if I was and someone said he would rape me, I would most certainly feel terrible about it. Jokes about "rape" may be funny among guys, but I don't think girls find it funny. It is like a white guy telling nasty jokes about black people to black people - it is just inappropriate.

Now, I don't think he should have been banned for it, it all happened outside of the game, anyway. But he should definitely have apologized profoundly, not just deleted his message. And, I think, in this particular case, they should have done something to prevent these two players from playing against each other.

Video games, unfortunately, tend to collect a lot of socially poor and immature people . Maybe in 10-15 years the gaming population will change and more adults will be there to give an example to kids, but today, unfortunately, online games, even on a professional level, are full of assholes who use them as a playground to test their ego defending skills.
    Jokes about rape (sexual assault) are not funny regardless of what genders are talking about it. There are not many people of any gender who think rape is a joke.

It is widely understood (even outside the gaming community) that the word rape is also used to mean "own" or "destroy" etc.

Whole situation is just odd, term is used so frequently in SC and nothing is done about it. So why was the DQ given in this case? Doesn't seem like they want to discourage the use of the word, but rather want to protect an image. And for some reason the image isn't tarnished by the many male SC players who use the term rape on twitter/facebook/in-game towards other male players.

I'd have no problem with the DQ if players (male, female, other) were told that any player using the term regardless of context would result in punishment, not just the one off one for the sake of image.

Quote Originally Posted by lithy View Post
    Jokes about rape (sexual assault) are not funny regardless of what genders are talking about it. There are not many people of any gender who think rape is a joke.

It is widely understood (even outside the gaming community) that the word rape is also used to mean "own" or "destroy" etc.

wat
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post

wat
    wat :O

/something

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    I opened this thread and heard a faint murmur from the window, it began to grow louder as time passed until i could hear out the words being shouted, seemingly by hundreds, thousands of people at once. In a gap between gusts of air, my ears deciphered the words - "Who cares?" they rang, and I began to chat with them.

- - - Updated - - -

1. SC2 is not a sport, its an e sport
    2. He wasn't being interviewed, fail comparison
    4. See a doctor if you reread your post and find it coherent
    Settle down buddy, maybe you should see a doctor if you find the need to insult people for no reason. Its still something that is viewed by a number of people of all ages and types, e-sport or sport w/e he still said what he said and its something he shouldnt have said.

Actual sportsmen do get in trouble for things said out of an interview, facebook stuff etc.

You can't talk like that anymore.

Rape is not something "allowed" the way gamers use it anymore. Sucks, but that is how it is. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    I think the fact that people are accepting threats of murder and rape as "trash talk" and "just part of the game" signifies just how horrible the gamer community has become.

The fact that we tolerate and accept this behavior signifies how horrible the gamer community has become.

If people aren't punished for this completely unacceptable behavior, they'll never learn. Act like an immature 11 year old and you get treated like an immature 11 year old.
    The gamer community hasn't become this, it has been like this for a very long time. Aside from that I agree with you, language that would turn you into a social outcast in less than a minute in the real world is completely normal in the gamer community. If e-sports and gaming is ever going to take the leap into becoming accepted as serious this shit needs to go.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Belgium

He used the term to describe how he was going to crush his opponent. As you can see, it has been used for this purpose historically. Suggesting that it was a threat is ludicrous.