Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Research] Social Implications of Online Gaming

Hello everyone,

As part of my University course we're required to do a piece of research that'll lead into our final year dissertation, and so I've opted to go for; "The Social Implications of Online Gaming".

This mostly looks at whether or not people have had any positive or negative social interactions with other players in their games, and whether or not people have grown their social skills through online gaming.

This questionnaire really does only take 1 minute, it's short and too the point and simply you choose your answers, so I'd really appreciate it if you could take some time to quickly fill it out, it'd be really helpful.

http://goo.gl/forms/GYkEz4B6LA

As a note, this project will be leading into a Dissertation that's more focused on the positive aspects of gaming in my final year, and will be an official piece of published research, so it'd be really nice to get more of the good news out there when it comes to the gaming industry, as the media often focuses far too often on the negative.

Thanks everyone!

Deleted
    Done, and good luck with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Completed. Best of luck with the research and dissertation!
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Completed. Best of luck with the research and dissertation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Done, and good luck with it
    Thank you, both of you. Already gotten a nice number of responses and it's really interesting to see the graphs and figures come in, there really are a very broad range of people who play games!

Thanks again!

Deleted
    Done it. I wasn't sure about the question regarding like, relationships formed online, long lasting relations etc, whether that was referring to friendships too, or specifically to romantic releationships.

Done. Good luck with your class.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Done. Good luck with it. I was also confused about the relationship questions. I have made some strong friendships online but not romantic

Deleted
    Filled it in, good luck with it.

Deleted
    Filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Done it. I wasn't sure about the question regarding like, relationships formed online, long lasting relations etc, whether that was referring to friendships too, or specifically to romantic releationships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archermit View Post
    Done. Good luck with it. I was also confused about the relationship questions. I have made some strong friendships online but not romantic
    It's general relationships, romantic or friendships. We didn't want to put in two different questions for it, so it's overall just; Relationships.

Thanks though to everyone so far for their responses!

Neat dissertation! Filled out the form; hope it goes well!

It's interesting to think of who I was when I first started playing WoW, and how it sort of brought me out of my shell as I grew up. Not to mention the long-lasting friendships I made with people. It's awesome

Signature by Shyama!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuri-chan-senpai View Post
    Neat dissertation! Filled out the form; hope it goes well!

It's interesting to think of who I was when I first started playing WoW, and how it sort of brought me out of my shell as I grew up. Not to mention the long-lasting friendships I made with people. It's awesome
    It really is exciting, I look back at who I was back when I started and I just facepalm. This research will hopefully open up the discussion and point that games can be a positive influence in peoples development, and their confidence.

Deleted
    Completed.

I do think though, that including a 'not sure' option would be most reliable for some yes/no questions instead of forcing false positives or negatives.

Also, since this is mainly a MMO forum. You may create a strong bias towards MMO based answers and any results that may (unknowningly) correlate to this type of gaming. I understand you want to get a large sample size but in my opinion you should definitely note this when making conclusions.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mmocfe7b335772; 2014-11-25 at 02:47 PM.

What am I supposed to answer in terms of age if I'm 27... 25-27 or 27-30?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it helped me. I used to be very anti social, then I found Runescape(at age 14 so like 10 years ago).... now I cant play any online game where people choose not to speak (I mean look at LFG in wow.... my main reason for quitting was the lack of any socialization resulting in LFG pugs, the eerie silence.) When I do play other online games like Dueling Network (Yugioh online) I flat out quit games where the opponent refuses to even say good luck or speak at all.

Also in real life I look for social interaction, and even if people dont have a ton of time to hang out, I am accustomed to a text based communication system, so texting and FB is enough socialization for me, rather than feeling sad someone cant physically be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Avrantia View Post
    What am I supposed to answer in terms of age if I'm 27... 25-27 or 27-30?
    Apologies, that's now been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicolor View Post
    Also, since this is mainly a MMO forum. You may create a strong bias towards MMO based answers and any results that may (unknowningly) correlate to this type of gaming. I understand you want to get a large sample size but in my opinion you should definitely note this when making conclusions.

Good luck!
    We're asking across a variety of areas, including our University Facebook, University Facebook Gaming Group and my Course Facebook Group, as well on plenty of other areas. We'll have a wider range then merely MMO-Champion results, but thanks for the concern and completing the questionnaire.

Already reached 100 responses, would be awesome to reach the 150 mark! Thanks to everyone who's responded so far.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Responded. Would be totally interested in seeing the data.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    Responded. Would be totally interested in seeing the data.
    We'll be presenting it to our University of course in mid-Decemeber as a Poster, I'll confirm if whether or not we can make the final report public. I'd like to, just so everyone can see the responses.

Of course, it's all anonymous, so there shouldn't be much of an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

130 Responses - Would love to bump it up to 150 as soon as possible! Thanks again to everyone so far!

15+ Year Old Account
    Responded, it's really simple guys - less than a minute
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Just done it.

I should also add: I've quit gaming a long time ago (I know casually play EU4) I prefer to watch letsplays for some reason Oo (saves me a BUNCH of money). When I played WoW I was socially very akward (before and during) but after I quitted, I've develloped strong social skills with some akwardness added for cuteness reasons.

Maybe I was always very extrovert, because I mainly played the game for achievements and bragging rights among other people without having to face them IRL. I don't know what changed me, the game possibly had something to do with it, but I think its mostly adulthood and levelling up my appearence since then.

Anyways good luck!