Does anybody play WoW in an internet/gaming cafe?

Since late October I've been working and living in Paris, but since it's on a temporary basis I didn't bring my gaming PC. I have really been wanting to play WoD these past two weeks but it seems for now my only option is to go to an internet café that has WoW or to only play at home during christmas/newyears and when I go back home at the end of january. I know of a cafe in the neighbourhood which is supposed to have WoW. With the stories of queue times I figured it would be pointless to go there and pay to wait to get in, but now things seem to have calmed down I'm considering trying it.

I was just curious if anyone has good/bad experiences with playing WoW, or any game at all, at an internet/gaming cafe? Would you recommend it or not? What kind of performance should I expect in terms of graphics and fps/latency? Is my account completely safe if I use my mobile authenticator?

(If any French/Parisian person reads this, I'm open for suggestions about where to play in Paris, the only cafe with WoW I found is http://www.milklub.com/)

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farseer View Post
    I was just curious if anyone has good/bad experiences with playing WoW, or any game at all, at an internet/gaming cafe? Would you recommend it or not? What kind of performance should I expect in terms of graphics and fps/latency? Is my account completely safe if I use my mobile authenticator?

(If any French/Parisian person reads this, I'm open for suggestions about where to play in Paris, the only cafe with WoW I found is http://www.milklub.com/)
    We have a local place here called Games and Grounds Cafe. Great shop with midrange machines for gaming. Graphics and latency will be entirely dependent on where you play and what you're playing on. One cafe may boast a high end rig while the next calls it high end but its a toaster with WoW installed.

Two stage authentication is great but if there is a keylogger on the machine that authenticator can be reproduced using software and your account can be hacked. So you roll the dice on that one.

I digress. Go to the cafe, load up WoW, and see how she goes. Worst case scenario you get yourself a nice latte and maybe meet a French gamer girl.

I heard they often steal login information in cafes so change your password after.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I used to raid with someone who would play on their laptop in their car outside a coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by brutme View Post
    I used to raid with someone who would play on their laptop in their car outside a coffee shop.
    I did too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Deleted
    I would like to someday. There are none in my area though :P

Quote Originally Posted by OhpUldum View Post
    We have a local place here called Games and Grounds Cafe. Great shop with midrange machines for gaming. Graphics and latency will be entirely dependent on where you play and what you're playing on. One cafe may boast a high end rig while the next calls it high end but its a toaster with WoW installed.

Two stage authentication is great but if there is a keylogger on the machine that authenticator can be reproduced using software and your account can be hacked. So you roll the dice on that one.

I digress. Go to the cafe, load up WoW, and see how she goes. Worst case scenario you get yourself a nice latte and maybe meet a French gamer girl.
    I guess there's really no way to find out but try it myself. A little worried though about the possibility of authenticators being reproduced... I'd heard about keylogging and remember when Blizzard used to warn not to play on public computers due to hacking risk, but I though the authenticator would make it completely safe. Not sure I could feel comfortable compromising my account safety after all..

That reminds me of this online TV show, The Guild, which is loosely based on WoW, where one of the players can no longer afford his internet connection and he drives his van around with his PC in it, trying to find homes that have an unsecured WiFi connection :P

Anyway, I was considering replacing my laptop with one that can handle WoW as one of my other options, but it feels like a waste of money. My current laptop is 4 years old and too shitty to still play games, but it does the rest fine (browsing, working, watching films). I basically bought a new gaming PC a little over a year ago which is awesome so it feels a little over the top to buy a new laptop just to be able to play WoW right now. Plus it would probably make me a total recluse in my apartment here.
    Last edited by Farseer; 2014-11-27 at 09:07 PM.