Blizzard Gaming Budget Build

After seeing the holiday builds on PCpartpicker, I decided to try my hand at making a complete budget build for people who mostly only play Blizzard games. Unlike the featured budget build on PCpartpicker, this has operating system and peripherals. It's a complete setup (well, except the monitor).

Blizzard Gaming Budget Build

Here is an example of the performance. While it's not the exact build, I would assume (maybe incorrectly?) that it's going to be pretty close to the R9 290x in relation to WoW performance. (It's the closest video example I could find).

With complete ultra settings, and adding 10 due to recording, looks like around 40-50 fps on ultra with the R9 290. With the R9 280x in our build, I would imagine by decreasing shadow detail and slightly lowering a couple other settings, you would be seeing a 50-60 frame average on custom ultra settings. If this isn't correct, let me know.

Anyway, here's the build. Enjoy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg) (Intended for overclock @ 4.0Ghz+)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg) (**Requires BIOS Update. See reviews.)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($28.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.43 @ SuperBiiz)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.95 @ Amazon)
    Total: $737.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-26 16:52 EST-0500

The idea behind this build is that its primary purpose is for mainly playing Blizzard games (hence the low storage amount), and to play WoW on ultra with the highest frames possible while keeping the price as low as possible. Let me know what you think, and feel free to help tweak it to increase price/performance ratio.
    Last edited by Lamb Mine; 2014-11-27 at 04:09 AM.

I'd go with the 4670k and overclock it, the 90k isn't really worth the extra $10-20 bucks honestly. I know it's not a big price difference, but it's just not worth it since you'll be overclocking anyways (and if you're not, then don't get the K model).

250gb hard drive enough for you? I know it will store your games since you only play a few, but that's a very small drive these days.

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    I'd go with the 4670k and overclock it, the 90k isn't really worth the extra $10-20 bucks honestly. I know it's not a big price difference, but it's just not worth it since you'll be overclocking anyways (and if you're not, then don't get the K model).

250gb hard drive enough for you? I know it will store your games since you only play a few, but that's a very small drive these days.
    It's not really for me, it's just something I'm playing around with while I waste time on campus.

Aside from adjusting the cpu to the 70k, isn't there another motherboard option we could use that is cheaper but will allow some good overclocks?

Also, I'm seeing the 4690k being a bit cheaper than the 4670k on PCpartpicker.
    Last edited by Lamb Mine; 2014-11-26 at 08:07 PM.

Swapped to a SSD, swapped to a better case that already has fans, swapped to a better PSU, everything else is pretty solid

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.43 @ SuperBiiz)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.95 @ Amazon)
    Total: $831.21
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-26 15:04 EST-0500
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Woops, thought I had already added that EVGA in my build, forgot to save, lol!

Added it.

Edit: Didn't even see you added a case. I was having a hard time finding a cheap one that had fans included. Well done. Added.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another very similar build. i5 OC'd to 4.6 with a GTX 770. In the comments he says that he averages between 35-50 in LFR on ultra. Tweaking shadow and particle density could probably get this higher.

- - - Updated - - -

Swapped out the mobo for a slightly less expensive one that will still allow CPU to be OC'd. Build under $750 now!

Edit: Swapped out for faster ram that lowered the price due to a combo deal. Build under $740 now!
    Last edited by Lamb Mine; 2014-11-26 at 09:55 PM.

It's a safer bet to stick to the Z97 as the Z87 might require a bios update in order to work with the 4690k and if you don't got compatible cpu your kinda boned
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    It's a safer bet to stick to the Z97 as the Z87 might require a bios update in order to work with the 4690k and if you don't got compatible cpu your kinda boned
    Yeah, I probably should mention the BIOS update in my OP. After that little hassle is through though, it supports i5. Money saved!

I can't seem to figure out how to get it any cheaper at the moment.
    Last edited by Lamb Mine; 2014-11-26 at 11:28 PM.

What is the difference between regular storage and SSD?

That is an old video, so by all means the game would run better now under the new file system & AA not taking as much performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bopd View Post
    What is the difference between regular storage and SSD?
    Very fast loading screens, and faster loading of elements/textures. SSD is just a really, really fast storage device. Has no affect on FPS, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb Mine View Post
    Has no affect on FPS, though.
    Wellll, it can in some games but it's usually pretty rare. I used to play GTA 4 on a HDD and whenever I would drive through the city stupidly fast the game would struggle to load the textures and FPS would tank as a result until the textures got loaded, then it would smooth out and run like usual.

Deleted
    700-800 dollar isnt really budget, now is it??

You can go a lot lower with a 3258 + B85 mobo and OC the shit out of that thing Will probably cost you around 500 dollar.

Just a heads up for those that were following this. This build is now down to about $720 with the Black Friday deals going on.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($28.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.42 @ OutletPC)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $721.32
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 19:19 EST-0500

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for posting these builds! As I understand it now, your build with the 4690K + Z87 requires BIOS update? What about using the mb tielknight mentioned instead:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI (costs $90 instead of $60). It also only has 4 SATA 6gb/s instead of 6. I don't know how many are needed? The Z97 has one SATA express instead of none mentioned for the Z87--is that important? (I have been playing catch up today, but still lacking knowledge).

I would include an additional SSD for windows + wow, like tielnknight posted, and the Zotac GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (Zotac ZT-60901-10M) at $110. It seems like the GTX 660 would be "good enough" from what I've read so far, but what do you think?

Also, if I were buying the parts you posted, would I still need a CPU cooler if I wasn't going to overclock the CPU? Thanks!

p.s. I'm too new to be able to post links, so I left the parts links out of the post.

EDIT: another question, I saw that the motherboard has "onboard ethernet" and I feel like an idiot for even asking this here, but do all motherboards have ethernet built in, as in, I can remove the wired network adapter from my parts list? I assume I will still need to pick up a wireless adapter... is pci express or usb better for that?) OK, thanks again!
    Last edited by wndy; 2014-11-29 at 10:40 AM.

Deleted
    I know what you are trying todo but this isn't a "budget build". Also proposing haswell refresh with Z87 when you buy new stuff is silly. If you had the mobo and looking to get a new cpu cause yours has a problem then yes flash the mobo. But not when you buy new parts. Why 1 stick of ram? No dual channel?

I am sorry but you don't give good advice and this "project" has already been done by someone else with almost half your budget.
    In short:
    G3258+B85 mobo(that overclocks)+gtx 750ti.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    In short:
    I might replace the 750ti with the 270, depending on the price. But that is nitpicking

Quote Originally Posted by wndy View Post
    Thanks for posting these builds! As I understand it now, your build with the 4690K + Z87 requires BIOS update? What about using the mb tielknight mentioned instead:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI (costs $90 instead of $60). It also only has 4 SATA 6gb/s instead of 6. I don't know how many are needed? The Z97 has one SATA express instead of none mentioned for the Z87--is that important? (I have been playing catch up today, but still lacking knowledge).

I would include an additional SSD for windows + wow, like tielnknight posted, and the Zotac GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (Zotac ZT-60901-10M) at $110. It seems like the GTX 660 would be "good enough" from what I've read so far, but what do you think?

Also, if I were buying the parts you posted, would I still need a CPU cooler if I wasn't going to overclock the CPU? Thanks!

p.s. I'm too new to be able to post links, so I left the parts links out of the post.

EDIT: another question, I saw that the motherboard has "onboard ethernet" and I feel like an idiot for even asking this here, but do all motherboards have ethernet built in, as in, I can remove the wired network adapter from my parts list? I assume I will still need to pick up a wireless adapter... is pci express or usb better for that?) OK, thanks again!
    Yeah, all sounds good to me. The z87 is an older generation board, I believe. The z97-sli is better. As for usb, from everything I've seen/read, I don't see any difference in performance between USB and PCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    I know what you are trying todo but this isn't a "budget build". Also proposing haswell refresh with Z87 when you buy new stuff is silly. If you had the mobo and looking to get a new cpu cause yours has a problem then yes flash the mobo. But not when you buy new parts. Why 1 stick of ram? No dual channel?

I am sorry but you don't give good advice and this "project" has already been done by someone else with almost half your budget.
    In short:
    Pretty helpful post. As stated in the OP, I was just messing around with pcpartpicker while wasting time on campus. I never claimed to be the be-all-end-all of computer knowledge (hence the phrase "try my hand at" used in the OP), especially considering I'm just getting ready to do my first build myself. I just figured since I was doing all the research on the various types of rigs and performance anyway, that I might as well post it up to help others while increasing my knowledge as they help me tweak the build and explain why one part is better than another.

Sorry if this thread offended you, or my using of the word "budget."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    I'd go with the 4670k and overclock it, the 90k isn't really worth the extra $10-20 bucks honestly.
    Sadly this isnt true, the difference between the two are quite beneficial.

The thermal interface on the 4690K is a huge improvement and the power efficiency is much better as well.