Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There are very few mounts in the game that are actually just "wow, look at that." For most people it's simply an aesthetic choice and a collection game, and the thrill of getting something that is relatively rare in the cases of the 1% drops. I think the Juggernaut from Siege looks ridiculous when sized down. I'd never ride that thing around. Doesn't stop me from wanting it.

i always chuckle when someone says "it's not fun to see other people riding the same mount as you" i really do. the sheer patheticness it takes to feel that is just hilarious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    XXXXXXX SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE ALERT XXXXXXXX

ahem.

that is possibly the most stupid reason to not like a mount.

You can argue the visuals as much as you like, some will like them some wont (I personally think the gronn mount is silly, but love the riverbeast one, others feel differently). But something is not "unfun" because others have it also....not unless you are totally screwed up psychologically.
    I think it is shitty when 90% of people are flying around or walking around on the same mount. It is bland. But at least WoD has so many variations it is rare to see 3 or 4 people on the same mount.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Both the Bloodhoof Bull and the Sunhide Gronnling are very awesome mounts. The Trained Icehoof is also great. The boars are ok. The others are just meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they're fine tbh. Bloodhoof bull is amazing and it's currently my hunter's go-to mount because my transmog color scheme fits it and I have an exact lookalike hunter pet.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    If want to be special ride around on that big piece of golden shit called the Heart Of The Aspects.
    I call mine Heart of Buyer's Remorse.

It's fucking sad how seemingly enslaved people are to the most basic procedural knowledge as a frame of reference for judgment and criticism rather than actually looking at something's merits beyond the most simple foundation. It's like they have to create a pre established official list of what makes something attractive to them rather than have an actual sensibility in real time to judge with.

And it's still sad how many people don't understand the difference between a texture and a model.

These Draenor mounts are far and away overall on artistic merit the coolest I've ever seen in WOW, and people are calling them boring because they can tell what rig was used,.... even though many have completely new animations and animated nuances along with silhouettes filling those wire armatures out and more importantly solid sculpted 3d details in their digital model instead of pretend textures painted on flat surfaces.

Every raised bump and strap and clump of fur and cracked hoof has actual definition that interacts with the dynamic shadows and lighting, these things finally look like sculptures now instead of paper origami, but OH NO, you can tell what the wire looks like that they sculpted this brand new unprecedented level of detailed FORM over, heaven forbid.

Subjective taste or not, the precedents that were broken in digital sculpture being ignored here sting like a boil on the ass.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-11-28 at 02:56 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i always chuckle when someone says "it's not fun to see other people riding the same mount as you" i really do. the sheer patheticness it takes to feel that is just hilarious to me.
    To me the pathetic ones are those who arrogantly exalt themselves over the fact that they pretendedly don't care about it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Maybe it's just all about personnal tastes, but none of the new mounts appeal me, they just feel so basic.
    I like the new talbuks but if I use a mount, i'd like it to be rare - it's unfun to see everyone wandering around with the same mount as you, the same goes for the new wolves

Plus there's only a few different models
    There's no rare mounts in this game. I see everyone riding ashes of a'lar, invincible, mim's head and any of the raider achievement mounts because I guess they feel special on them. I ride mounts that I like the look of, don't care about the rarity. My rarest mount is the black proto, which comes from the removed achievement for Naxx 25 achievements. I haven't ridden it in years because I just don't like proto drakes. Only 40 people on my server ever got that mount, and most have moved off, but I still won't use it.

Heck, I think my favorite mount for being "special" is the giant rooster because so few people actually have it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

This, oh so much this...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrican View Post
    i could use my white stallion more, but it is like a ninja rare... it goes mostly unnoticed nowadays.
    Yeah these crybaby snowflakes with their RNG weekly farm mounts, they don't understand our #deuterium-snowflake-problems

Mostly kidding though, I really like the aesthetics of the unarmored models and one of them goes so well with my favorite race so I use it all the time and enjoy the rare times someone notices.

Its the weird bizzaro opposite problem of the "everyone gets otherwise awesome mount for free so nobody shows it off" syndrome: a skin variation that is so rare almost nobody even knows anymore. I think core hound might be able to dodge the Filthy Peasant Mount©®™ problem in the long run, since it is so iconic.

More mounts is a good thing, but less RNG ones though please, more stuff like stables! Rather have a consistent measurable goal than random camping or RNG grinding old weekly lockouts.

Honestly, I think most of the new mounts look pretty rad. Very basic, that's true, but what's wrong with that?

I could be using mounts like TLPD, the rare dragon from Deepholm, Spectral Tiger, Magic Rooster, and so on, but I don't. I use mounts like the Dragon Turtles from being Exalted with the Pandaren, or the Dread Raven from the WoD CE. They're not rare at all, but I use them, because *I* think they're cool, and that's what matters. Not what everyone else thinks.

If the only merit of a mount is how "rare" it is, that's pretty shallow. You should be using mounts *you* like, not mounts no one else are using. People like that are probably the same people who'd rather solo-kill Poundfist, than to let others in on the kill and get more people a pretty cool mount. It's pretty sad.

To me the pathetic ones to my eyes are the ones who arrogantly exalt themselves over the fact that they pretendedly don't care about it
    Or maybe they just don't care about being special snowflakes.
    Last edited by NotValidAnymore; 2014-11-28 at 03:02 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think theyre the best mounts so far from any expac

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Or maybe they just don't care about being special snowflakes.
    Oh
    That's why they strive to show how much they don't care about it on forums.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, why would you use low texture mounts that look like they belong on an N64 game when you could use newer, high definition mounts. Because they're rare?

Some people do care about what looks cooler, while others will be obsessed with what others think of them.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    It's fucking sad how seemingly enslaved people are to the most basic procedural knowledge as a frame of reference for judgment and criticism rather than actually looking at something's merits beyond the most simple foundation. It's like they have to create a pre established official list of what makes something attractive to them rather than have an actual sensibility in real time to judge with.

And it's still sad how many people don't understand the difference between a texture and a model.

These Draenor mounts are far and away overall on artistic merit the coolest I've ever seen in WOW, and people are calling them boring because they can tell what rig was used,.... even though many have completely new animations and animated nuances along with silhouettes filling those wire armatures out and more importantly solid sculpted 3d details in their digital model instead of pretend textures painted on flat surfaces.

Every raised bump and strap and clump of fur and cracked hoof has actual definition that interacts with the dynamic shadows and lighting, these things finally look like sculptures now instead of paper origami, but OH NO, you can tell what the wire looks like that they sculpted this brand new unprecedented level of detailed FORM over, heaven forbid.

Subjective taste or not, the precedents that were broken in digital sculpture being ignored here sting like a boil on the ass.
    I, for one, am sick of yet more races using Worgen and Night Elf skeletons. How much is enough?

Saberon and Botani, BTW (Which you can argue Botani are the Zandalari from 5.2, which did everything you just described to the NE model, no excuse for Jinyu and Saurok/Saberon).

The use of the Mantid skeleton to create Arakkoa was beautifully done, most people at first glance wouldn't know. The animations are all different, from walk to talk. It was 10/10 what I'd expect from Blizzard. Theres no excuse for Saberon and Jinyu, not when they've proven they have the technology to so effectively mask skeleton reuse that its hardly visible.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-11-28 at 03:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh
    That's why they strive to show how much they don't care about it on forums.
    This is one of those really stupid arguments, no matter the subject matter. "They're disagreeing with me so obviously they actually care!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    There's no rare mounts in this game. I see everyone riding ashes of a'lar, invincible, mim's head and any of the raider achievement mounts because I guess they feel special on them. I ride mounts that I like the look of, don't care about the rarity. My rarest mount is the black proto, which comes from the removed achievement for Naxx 25 achievements. I haven't ridden it in years because I just don't like proto drakes. Only 40 people on my server ever got that mount, and most have moved off, but I still won't use it.

Heck, I think my favorite mount for being "special" is the giant rooster because so few people actually have it.
    There are rare mounts in the game that comes from relatively recent contents

For exemple, I only saw once someone with the South wind drake that drops off Al'Akir.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    This is one of those really stupid arguments, no matter the subject matter. "They're disagreeing with me so obviously they actually care!"
    But that's not even what I mean.
    I just think special snowflake bashing is stupid when you arrogantly seek to show of how enlightened you are because of the fact that you don't care about rarity.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2014-11-28 at 03:13 AM.

WoD has a brilliant range of mounts that all look savage and wild. They fit in with the world and look great. I've never cared about re-use of skeletons as long as it more or less fit the animal. And they do fit the animals. They don't need different skeletons if they fit the animal. It's ridiculous to expect blizz to make new skeletons for new models that would move essentially the same as previous animals. Why put in wasted effort for animals that would move more or less the same anyway? to fulfil some petty desires of a few players that wouldnt have given a damn if you had done it from start and found something else to complain about? no thanks.

Dino-hippo's, wolves, bulked up talbuks, Wild Boars and frikkin GRONN and more. Within their own families, they are unique and new models. thats all that actually matters and has any real meaning.

I go for the theme of mounts, not these petty ridiculous complaints. and i love the theme of the WoD mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    is this not the reason celestial steed, was instead known as "that retarded horse" ?

if it was instead a 1% drop from algalon it would be a super prestigious mount and people showing it off, look at my spectral horse! instead it's seen as a blizzstore piece of shit.

this is how mounts work for a lot of the community, no need to call people snowflakes because it's not your view.
    I gotta agree with this. For the longest time I would see mounts like Ashes of Alar and the Onyxian Drake and drool. After xpacs passed and the raids became soloable (and the drop rates got buffed to my knowledge) I obtained them and then never used them due to the amount of people that had them. A mount's rarity is important to a lot of players and tbh shouldnt be something to take away from said players. A mount needs to retain its rarity to be cool in my eyes. The WoD mounts will not do this. The elusive Poundfist mount went from not being in the game to seeing 3-4 in Warspear every time I go there. My favorite mount (big love rocket) only became my favorite after I got it and saw that nobody else had it. Its a human thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    WoD has a brilliant range of mounts that all look savage and wild. They fit in with the world and look great. I've never cared about re-use of skeletons as long as it more or less fit the animal. And they do fit the animals. They don't need different skeletons if they fit the animal. It's ridiculous to expect blizz to make new skeletons for new models that would move essentially the same as previous animals. Why put in wasted effort for animals that would move more or less the same anyway? to fulfil some petty desires of a few players that wouldnt have given a damn if you had done it from start and found something else to complain about? no thanks.

Dino-hippo's, wolves, bulked up talbuks, Wild Boars and frikkin GRONN and more. Within their own families, they are unique and new models. thats all that actually matters and has any real meaning.

I go for the theme of mounts, not these petty ridiculous complaints. and i love the theme of the WoD mounts.
    Skeleton reuse is fine when it fits the animal. At best, you can't even tell.

at worst...