Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's hard saying goodbye to your devilsaur friend for the sake of an encounter, but considering the nature of most WoD fights, bm and its splash damage still have a nice place on most occasions

I'm not sure how you can reasonably make the argument that BM is "close enough" to MM that you can play it if you want to without hindering your guild. You don't have to be vying for world first to have the attitude that your raiders should be picking the spec that performs best for the fight, given their tactics. Their time spent raiding is just as valuable as anyone else's and no one appreciates wasting time wiping on a boss because I can't be convinced to suck it up and learn a new spec that performs far better.

My complaint is that we don't even *really* have a situation like we did in SoO, where you had good reasons, fight to fight, to play one spec or the other, but they weren't so overwhelmingly superior that you couldn't stick with your preferred spec if you *really* wanted to.

I resent the tendency around here to dismiss dislike for the lonewolf MM hunter playstyle as being just a case of the filthy casual "pet collector" who is sad s/he doesn't have Fluffy at their side anymore. I learned MM. I play it. I'm generally in the top 3 dps in my moderately skilled raid group on a backwater server. But I am not having fun with it.

I appreciate the skillcap involved with MM mastery. I just do not find it enjoyable or rewarding. I do not find the lack of instants and the loooooong cast times fun. I wish there was another *viable* option for those of us who do not enjoy it, or some variety fight-to-fight.

I also am of the opinion that making Lonewolf the overwhelmingly superior default pve choice at 100 goes against the flavor of the class, if such things even matter. I think it should be the talent you choose for those particular situations where pets are hindered enough to where a flat damage buff outweighs the pet (distance, airborne bosses, bosses with weird pathing problems [maegera], bosses that move too fast, i.e. Thok etc). But it's not currently balanced that way.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've been maining a BM hunter since TBC, hell I had an IWIN one-button macro, remember those? BM has always been my favorite spec, I love the variety of pets and managing them (though the mechanics are clunky sometimes) as well as my priority rotation. And often I could hold my own in raids when BM wasn't the recommended spec; I could make it work. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case this time. We can't seem to beat the enrage timer on Brackenspore and my raid leader has requested that everyone do everything they possibly can to boost their dps. I guess for me that means going MM, my absolute least favorite spec. I'm not looking forward to it, but it's only a couple nights a week, I can make that small sacrifice for progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HottieDorf View Post
    I've been maining a BM hunter since TBC, hell I had an IWIN one-button macro, remember those? BM has always been my favorite spec, I love the variety of pets and managing them (though the mechanics are clunky sometimes) as well as my priority rotation. And often I could hold my own in raids when BM wasn't the recommended spec; I could make it work. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case this time. We can't seem to beat the enrage timer on Brackenspore and my raid leader has requested that everyone do everything they possibly can to boost their dps. I guess for me that means going MM, my absolute least favorite spec. I'm not looking forward to it, but it's only a couple nights a week, I can make that small sacrifice for progress.
    I'm able to stay BM and not feel too bad about it since my guild has me on every bitch duty you can think of. So i just put my pet on the boss and do the mechanics the full retards can't.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HottieDorf View Post
    it's indeed an issue to not have viable spec to choose. I understand the player that like the idea of player an archer class, like a ranger in other RPG. I guess that is what lone wolf is aiming to mimic. But the other spec should be viable. It's probably impossible to be exactly equal, especially to make them scale with gear identically, but if they could be with a 5-10% range of each other, it'll be good enough.