Deleted

How to use Stellar Flare on multiple enemies properly?

I'm playing around with the level 100 talents on my moonkin and have some questions about Stellar Flare. My favorite talent so far would be balance of Power but I feel that on single targets I am getting a bit bored with just spamming two spells back and forth, so I decide to try something else.

On single targets I don't have any problems understanding how to use it. I try to time it as close as possible to the middle of the eclipse bar and the dot will last just long enough until I am in the middle of the eclipse again.

But when it comes to multiple targets (that live long) I am not sure what is best.

Is it worth dotting all the mobs up immediately? This would mean that I cannot cast it when it it deals the most damage since I will only be in the middle of an eclipse every 20th second.

The other option I guess would be to only cast 1 or 2 Flares when I am close to the middle on an eclipse and then focus on my standard AoE rotation until I am closer to the middle again.

Hope it makes sense, I am not a native speaker. :P What do you think?
    Last edited by mmocf3b6cd3297; 2014-11-28 at 07:10 AM.

Apply StFl to any enemy that doesn't currently have it, regardless of Eclipse position. When you are refreshing try to be in middle but even then it's not close enough to being necessary.

Deleted
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i understood it, only the initial damage of a DoT (be it MF, SF or StFlr) benefit from their respective eclipse bonus (lunar, solar, neutral) and update their DoT according to your current eclipse-status.
    That being said, it is beneficial to cast StFlr when in a neutral eclipse because of a higher initial damage, but if you DoT up multiple targets, you shouldn't wait for your eclipse to travel in the middle again, since the DoT Portion will get higher/lower anyway.

Deleted
    Okay, thanks a lot! I'll just dot 'em up then.

In fact I may have misinterpret the whole damage bonus thing. If it benefits from both eclipses and also does extra damage when in the middle, wouldn't that pretty much even it out, making it deal about the same damage anytime in an eclipse?

And yeah, I know the dot damage is dynamic, so only talking about the direct damage. The timing would only matter much on single targets then, which I think is nice. Really starting to like these new talents, they change the way you play, none of them seems mandatory!

I find Stellar Flare to be massively underwhelming.

Just me?
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Total damage is not much more than a Wrath. So a target needs to last more than 10s or so, or the cast isn't even worth it.

Single target, Euphoria just feels better. To really shine, StFl would really need lots of spread-out, long-lived targets. It also scales well with mastery, so maybe at high gear levels it will be better.

Yeah, exactly. I've pretty much been running Euphoria, with SotF, sometimes swapping out SotF for Inc depending on the type of fight.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Batix View Post
    I find Stellar Flare to be massively underwhelming.

Just me?
    Just reading what the spell does made it pretty obvious to me that it probably wouldn't be that great until later in the expansion

Euphoria ftw

Deleted
    Indeed after trying it out for a day now, I am finding myself at the bottom of the meter. But I love to have it there, in case I get tired of the other two talents and hopefully it will scale well with better gear.

If I recall correctly, the balance seemed to be that Stellar Flare was slightly better, when optimal rotation, on a two target fight (i.e. Twin Ogron).

Seems like you sorted already, but just adding in that the current simc model doesn't try to game when it casts at all - it has a couple extra conditions on moonfire, but basically it applies them in order sunfire>stellar>moonfire, clip each of them at pandemic and sun/moon at the peaks. Overall the dot component is worth too much to try to get higher initial damage via downtime.

Code:
    actions.single_target+=/sunfire,if=remains<7|buff.solar_peak.up
    actions.single_target+=/stellar_flare,if=remains<7
    actions.single_target+=/moonfire,if=buff.lunar_peak.up&remains<eclipse_change+20|remains<4|(buff.celestial_alignment.up&buff.celestial_alignment.remains<=2&remains<eclipse_change+20)

So on which bosses should we actually use it?

Tectus , Brackenspore, Twins. That would be the fights with multiple long living targets. But is it even worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    So on which bosses should we actually use it?

Tectus , Brackenspore, Twins. That would be the fights with multiple long living targets. But is it even worth it?
    Personally, I will likely only try and use it on Twin Ogron. The others still have a DPS priority, which is still a single target. Brackenspore, the adds likely won't be up long enough for stellar flare to win out over euphoria.