10+ Year Old Account

"Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl", video taken from a drone fly-by.

Found this video on Facebook. Shows how Pripyat (the town just a few miles from the Chernobyl reactor) is being overtaken by nature. Personally, I think it looks awesome (in the literal sense of the word). Rather sad, though, considering how many people had to up and leave their homes forever. I'd love to explore places like that, just walk around the buildings. It'd be like a snapshot in time.

Saw this on Facebook earlier, since it was trending. I almost forgot all about the Chernobyl accident, then I saw familiar landmarks and was all ..crap, this is a thing. ._. It's really eerie, yet cool to see all of the green there.
    Last edited by Fabled; 2014-11-29 at 01:47 AM.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Deleted
    I was in Pripyat about 10 years ago when I lived in Ukraine - my father was..well, high ranking persona.So he arranged me and my brother a ''trip'' there.

We spent whole day just walking around the city - most memorable scene was an oak growing thru 9 storey building. The silence was striking.

Took a photo about 300ms away from sealed reactor.

Listened to few horror stories from guards - who were bribed with high-quality vodka - and left the same day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    Saw this on Facebook earlier, since it was trending. I almost forgot all about the Chernobyl accident, then I saw familiar landmarks and was all ..crap, this is a thing. ._.
    Indeed. The incident is something you hear about now and then, especially when speaking of nuclear reactors, but you don't really consider this aspect of it.

Funny thing is, there is plenty of people living in the restricted areas. Its perfectly safe to walk around there, just take a dust mask and dont enter the reactors proper.
    Some cities have higher background radiation than Chernobyl surroundings.
    And take your photos, the area is eerie and beautiful due to it, there are several abandoned cities that one can visit, its always chilling.