Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Good sites to find jobs

Anyone know any? My brothers bankruptcy starts soonish and he wants me to get a job to help out.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Monster.com? Indeed.com?

Make a list of the pro companies in your field (or just google them) and go to their websites directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Anyone know any? My brothers bankruptcy starts soonish and he wants me to get a job to help out.
    Show up at a restaurant, say you're willing to wash dishes and you're ready to start immediately.

Beyond that, we'll need to know more about your education, skills, experience, to give better advice.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Show up at a restaurant, say you're willing to wash dishes and you're ready to start immediately.

Beyond that, we'll need to know more about your education, skills, experience, to give better advice.
    Well education some high school currently doing virtual crap and math is the bane of me. Skills none worth mentioning, experience none XD
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well education some high school currently doing virtual crap and math is the bane of me. Skills none worth mentioning, experience none XD
    Craigslist then.

Sounds like belfpala's advice is where it's at then. This tactic is reasonable at a number of establishments - tell a restaurant you'll wash dishes and can start immediately, tell a car dealer you'll wash cars starting immediately, and so on. Customer-facing roles, even if they're not "good" jobs tend to be a little more picky, but if you show up clean-cut, well spoken, and sincere, someone will take you on to do menial work pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sounds like belfpala's advice is where it's at then. This tactic is reasonable at a number of establishments - tell a restaurant you'll wash dishes and can start immediately, tell a car dealer you'll wash cars starting immediately, and so on. Customer-facing roles, even if they're not "good" jobs tend to be a little more picky, but if you show up clean-cut, well spoken, and sincere, someone will take you on to do menial work pretty quickly.
    And it's not necessarily a dead end job. My general manager started as a dish washer under me a few years ago, proved himself, and now runs my place when I'm not there. It's not a job that will make him rich, but he's making more than the average American.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Miles will vary on belfpala's tactic. More often than not they'll just tell you to go to their website but maybe that's because I personally wasn't persistent enough.

I even had someone ask if I had any experience on washing dishes before. I said I know how to wash dishes, but they say it takes a lot more to wash at their establishment.

It can be kind of rough if you have no professional experience and they'll be harsh on experience gaps. Now I just basically tell people that I've been on a ministry for East Africa doing the lord's work if they ever ask why I had no experience and I'm nineteen.

Being honest will probably get you grilled hardcore and I can kind of understand, you're basically selling yourself to people.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-11-29 at 07:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Craigslist, newspaper classifieds, and local employment services work well for unskilled/menial labor. Skilled trades usually have their own avenues (apprenticeships, schools will usually get you in touch with local employers for the skill you're pursuing, etc), and for work that requires degrees and stuff... no clue, since I ain't got one of those and don't intend to. Might try stuff like LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, and Monster.

Networking is always the best possible way of getting a job, though. It really is about who you know more than who you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I even had someone ask if I had any experience on washing dishes before. I said I know how to wash dishes, but they say it takes a lot more to wash at their establishment.
    Washing dishes isn't difficult but it's hard, thankless work that typically pays very little for the amount of effort involved. They're trying to weed out the people who will work there for three weeks and then disappear the second another job presents itself.

Unsurprisingly, dishwashers and what the Brits would call "kitchen porters" tend to work like a fucking revolving door.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Craigslist, newspaper classifieds, and local employment services work well for unskilled/menial labor. Skilled trades usually have their own avenues (apprenticeships, schools will usually get you in touch with local employers for the skill you're pursuing, etc), and for work that requires degrees and stuff... no clue, since I ain't got one of those and don't intend to. Might try stuff like LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, and Monster.

Networking is always the best possible way of getting a job, though. It really is about who you know more than who you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Washing dishes isn't difficult but it's hard, thankless work that typically pays very little for the amount of effort involved. They're trying to weed out the people who will work there for three weeks and then disappear the second another job presents itself.

Unsurprisingly, dishwashers and what the Brits would call "kitchen porters" tend to work like a fucking revolving door.
    Any person who doesn't take another job when it has more benefits in the long run is an idiot, any place that doesn't understand that probably won't do well either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Any person who doesn't take another job when it has more benefits in the long run is an idiot, any place that doesn't understand that probably won't do well either.
    I agree, but you have to remember they're running a business, not a charity. Having someone pull a no call no show because they got a better job is a major problem for business owners. It's actually pretty expensive to hire and train up a new person, especially when they're in and out like a revolving door.

You'd think that'd inspire them to actually provide benefits, advancement, bonuses, etc to compensate for the job being really shitty, but that'd make too much damn sense, wouldn't it?
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    I agree, but you have to remember they're running a business, not a charity. Having someone pull a no call no show because they got a better job is a major problem for business owners. It's actually pretty expensive to hire and train up a new person, especially when they're in and out like a revolving door.

You'd think that'd inspire them to actually provide benefits, advancement, bonuses, etc to compensate for the job being really shitty, but that'd make too much damn sense, wouldn't it?
    Whooow woah...I never said you should stop showing up out of the blue, take better oppertunities, have respect for your current employer as well...if they had it for you that is.

Deleted
    If you're willing to work christmas hours then ask all the local retailers if they're hiring any temp staff for christmas. It's a pretty busy time for stocking shelves etc so it'll be hard work for low pay but it'll give you a little bit of experience and a reference even if the job is only for a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Whooow woah...I never said you should stop showing up out of the blue, take better oppertunities, have respect for your current employer as well...if they had it for you that is.
    You can't make a habit of that. People you apply to are going to notice you seem to change jobs every six months and will want to know why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    If you're willing to work christmas hours then ask all the local retailers if they're hiring any temp staff for christmas. It's a pretty busy time for stocking shelves etc so it'll be hard work for low pay but it'll give you a little bit of experience and a reference even if the job is only for a month.
    Hook on with USPS, UPS, or FedEx if you can. They need throwers starting about a week before Thanksgiving through the end of December to handle the rush. It's hard work and you need to be strong, but if you can hack it, it pays well and if you do really well, there's potential to be hired on permanently as PT/FT.

I liked Indeed.com . I really disliked monster and careerbuilder because of huge amount of calls I'd get for the commission based jobs. Indeed did a good job of pulling jobs from the net and putting them in one place. It felt like a google for jobs instead a site that was trying to sell me something.

I second indeed.com I also find a lot of jobs on craigslist.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Yup.

That's why I suggested it as a walk in, ready to work attempt. I'm always missing a dish washer.

Edit: Another revolving door is movie theaters. OP might prefer that. They always need people.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're reasonably healthy try construction. Those guys get paid decently and you get to be outside, which for some reason a lot of people seem to like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yup.

That's why I suggested it as a walk in, ready to work attempt. I'm always missing a dish washer.

Edit: Another revolving door is movie theaters. OP might prefer that. They always need people.
    The work is fine, it's just that the pay and benefits are non-existent. Fix that and maybe they'd stick around for a while

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    If you're reasonably healthy try construction. Those guys get paid decently and you get to be outside, which for some reason a lot of people seem to like.
    Depends on the area. Here in Tulsa we have a couple of really stellar companies to work for. Some other companies are slave drivers with little care about their employees' welfare.

Deleted
    You can start by saying your country, as it would be easier for people to find you job sites. I mean, I can offer you 10, but if you're not from Romania, they'll be useless to you.