Getting the most out of your professions

Hey guys. I'm wondering what you would recommend to use your limited resources for professions on. Currently I'm Engineering and Blacksmithing.

Engineering doesn't have much variety going for it. You can pretty much blow your first 100 parts on goggles (which probably won't be as strong as the MC helm before upgrading its ilvl and possibly getting a trade for favorable stats) or make a blingtron or the gun for some profit. I'm thinking the goggles are kind of a long term investment, so I'm not sure if buying it right now is really worth it.

Blacksmithing has a lot of choices going for it; are any of the pieces stand out for any reason, or should I just be looking to replace a weak piece of gear?

Deleted
    I would go full out blacksmithing for gear.

Engi has the goggles but its a minor upgrade over 630 dungeon gear, you have 100% drop chance on MC head.
    Plus, i tend to avoid gear that compete with tier slots.

For anecdotal reference, I'm JC and i lvled with the restats things and crafted the ring and after 7th reroll (hello diablo!!) i got a perfect roll. 76 BA / 57 crit

TL;DR. You want gear ? Go blacksmithing. You want "toys" and fun stuff, go engi.