If I am strictly a pug play... I should think about rolling.. healer > ranged > melee

if im strictly pugging raids on open raid... should i pretty much go for healer or a ranged? because in previous expansions, melee toon sits in the city LFG for hours while healers and ranged get to eat apple pie

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Heals yes, ranged no, unless you happen to be the class Blizz has buffed this month/tier/expansion. Go heals.
    Free to play games explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4VRbsjZrQ

If you enjoy and/or are good at healing, go for that.

I mained heals all through Pandaria (shaman and druid) and it was as you would expect. Instant LFG/LFR queues, invites thrown at me for groups, dominated in battlegrounds, you name it. It was the good life. I never received any flak from members of groups for my healing (and often praise in BGs). But, all that healing got stale after awhile. Most encounters felt kind of the same as a healer. Plus I didn't enjoy any of the dps offspecs much, and a new expansion was looming...

So now I'm back to rogue in WoD, eating 40 minute queues and expecting a hard time finding groups for raids. But, I am enjoying it the gameplay.

My suggestion: rolling a healer feels like hitting the jackpot in some ways, but make sure you enjoy it and want to stick with it. IMO it's not worth it to roll healer simply for the perks only to realize your heart isn't in it.