Deleted

Thinking of getting a new PC for WoD.... this any good?

Hai computer forumers, I have very limited knowledge of building a PC and little time to learn how to do it (I realise it'll be cheaper if I do, etc). As such I'm planning on getting a pre-built and was wondering on your thoughts of the below:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...913&catid=2932

- Power Supply: Super Flower 450W 80+ Bronze Rated PSU
    - CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.50GHz Haswell Quad Core CPU Turbo Speed 3.9GHz
    - Motherboard: Asus Z97-K (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard
    - Cooler: Prolimatech CPU Cooler
    - RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    - Primary Hard Drive: Samsung 250GB 840 Evo Series Solid State Drive
    - Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 1024MB Graphics Card
    - Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
    - Optical Drive: OcUK DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Will this sort me out, i.e. decent FPS in 25 mans, running on Ultra (something I can only dream of at the minute)? Also, what are your thoughts on Operating System? My old PC still runs XP and I was planning on putting Win 7 rather than 8 on this as I heard 8 is a bit difficult to use. My budget is about £800 tops really (inc operating system) so any alternatives would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by mmoc02f4a918c1; 2014-12-01 at 03:11 PM.

I have no way of knowing what FPS is going to be like in 25 mans in WoD yet. That PC seems pretty decent. I think the Nvidia card is middle of the line ish. The processor is fine with the exception that it isn't unlocked - but I'm guessing if you aren't comfortable building a pc then you don't plan on overclocking anyway. The RAM doesn't have a brand listed here so there isn't much I can say regarding that. 8gb is sufficient if you don't do too much multi tasking, but you mentioned fraps so you may want to look into that. I prefer 16gb. Plenty of hard drive space.

The only thing that sort of concerns me is the power supply's low wattage. That has the potential to prevent you from upgrading your video card in the future.

Since I can't really say how optimized raiding fps is going to be, and my recording experience is limited, I can't give an estimate on how it'll run with fraps in 25 mans on ultra quality. I don't even run WoW on ultra on my PC. I don't really think the trade off from high is worth it.

My understanding is that Windows 8 offers better performance over Windows 7 once you have it working properly and are used to it, personally I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now. I hate tablets, and I can't stand that OS.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2014-12-01 at 02:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post

The only thing that sort of concerns me is the power supply's low wattage. That has the potential to prevent you from upgrading your video card in the future.

Since I can't really say how optimized raiding fps is going to be, and my recording experience is limited, I can't give an estimate on how it'll run with fraps in 25 mans on ultra quality. I don't even run WoW on ultra on my PC. I don't really think the trade off from high is worth it.

My understanding is that Windows 8 offers better performance over Windows 7 once you have it working properly and are used to it, personally I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now. I hate tablets, and I can't stand that OS.
    Sorry, mis-spelling on my part - I didn't mean I'd be running Fraps, but rather I meant will I get a decent amount of FPS in 25 mans? I kind of think you answered this though. As for over-clocking it's not something I'd do myself, but will be done pre-purchase (hence the name of the website).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 8.1 is fine, you can set it to go right to desktop on startup, install a free start menu replacement (I prefer Start Menu 8 from IOBit, looks EXACTLY like Windows 7).

Windows 8.1 is MUCH better under the hood, so you'll see a bit of performance gain that way.

There's no reason to stick to Windows 7.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.38 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£91.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£65.96 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£143.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.48 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.84 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £766.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 15:29 GMT+0000

Recommend something like this to be honest. Gives the ability to overclock the CPU for further performance. 212 Evo is cheap but offers enough cooling for smaller overclocks (something like 4.2Ghz would be very easy to achieve). The GTX 760 would offer more than enough performance for completely Ultra settings where the 750 shown would not.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£162.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£78.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£65.96 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£143.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.48 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.84 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £726.07
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 15:46 GMT+0000

Something like this if you have absolutely 0 intention of overclocking, but I do recommend just going for the overclocking option. Since it isn't much more. Will allow you to go longer without replacing it.

If you're dead set on using that site for prebuilt, I recommend upgrading the GPU in that list to the 760.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-01 at 03:48 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksmiter View Post
    Power Supply: Super Flower 450W 80+ Bronze Rated PSU
    Drop this immediately for a Corsair.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, mis-spelling on my part - I didn't mean I'd be running Fraps, but rather I meant will I get a decent amount of FPS in 25 mans? I kind of think you answered this though. As for over-clocking it's not something I'd do myself, but will be done pre-purchase (hence the name of the website).
    Considering your using an overclocking motherboard in that prebuild with a lock CPU, I can assure you that Overclockers will not be overclocking it as it isn't possible. The GPU maybe, but it isn't even listed there that they overclock any of it much less the GPU. The 4690k (unlocked overclockable version) is only 4 pounds more btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linblum View Post
    Drop this immediately for a Corsair.
    This statement doesn't say much considering many of Corsairs series I would NEVER recommend, and the ones that I would are generally more expensive than are worth it to some people (not everyone wants to pay for modular and gold cert)
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post

This statement doesn't say much considering many of Corsairs series I would NEVER recommend, and the ones that I would are generally more expensive than are worth it to some people (not everyone wants to pay for modular and gold cert)
    So you'd recommend the OP get a crappy non-brand PSU? The most important factor of a computer?

At least recommend something other than Corsair instead of moaning at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you'd recommend the OP get a crappy non-brand PSU? The most important factor of a computer?

I don't think super flower is that bad of a brand, their green edition of 450 power supply at least got a good review.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

I did, in both my builds I recommended over using Overclockers. The XFX PSU I listed is a Seasonic OEM PSU at a very good price that is miles ahead of any Corsair PSU near that price range. Seasonic is a top end PSU manufacturer...IMO the best.

As for Super Flower, it's actually better than most of the crap companies tend to put into their pre builts. It's not a "non-brand PSU". It's just straight from the manufacturer rather than rebranded. Kind of like my Seasonic PSU in my current system (best PSU I've ever owned if I might add and I've had Corsair). Super Flower is quite popular in some European countries, just not in the US. Corsair doesn't manufacture PSUs.

And if you cared enough to follow his link, there is no option to change the PSU, which means he would have to buy it seperately and replace the current one in order to follow your advice.

Deleted

If you're dead set on using that site for prebuilt, I recommend upgrading the GPU in that list to the 760.
    Cheers for the list, I appreciate it. There is a system configuaration option on the site (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...=43&catid=2473) so I might try to use it in conjunction with that as I have no idea then about what options to get otherwise. They give the option to have the processor overclocked by 10%, 12.5% or not all but to be honest I have no idea which would best and/or why. Apologies for my ignorance on the subject, but the thought of getting all the parts and putting them together - I just can forsee a lot of stress. I've swapped graphics cards etc before and I realise it's relatively easy, but once you have to do things like go into the BIOS menu then I'm fairly confused and liable to screw up I feel. I'd rather pay the extra to know that I can just plug in and the thing will work.

Deleted
    I did, in both my builds I recommended over using Overclockers. The XFX PSU I listed is a Seasonic OEM PSU
    You're right, my apologies.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers for the list, I appreciate it. There is a system configuaration option on the site (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...=43&catid=2473) so I might try to use it in conjunction with that as I have no idea then about what options to get otherwise. They give the option to have the processor overclocked by 10%, 12.5% or not all but to be honest I have no idea which would best and/or why. Apologies for my ignorance on the subject, but the thought of getting all the parts and putting them together - I just can forsee a lot of stress. I've swapped graphics cards etc before and I realise it's relatively easy, but once you have to do things like go into the BIOS menu then I'm fairly confused and liable to screw up I feel. I'd rather pay the extra to know that I can just plug in and the thing will work.
    Well like with any prebuilt you definitely are overpaying. The first option I gave you would be cheaper and offer great performance. As for overclocking, you definitely would have to upgrade to 4690k in that build for them to even consider overclocking it. Although, it's not hard for small overclocks to do yourself keep in mind. Building it is very easy. The hardest part is picking out the right parts that are highest quality and in your budget and I've done that for you. The rest is literally placing items in their appropriate slots and plugging them in. Wires are labeled. Manuals are very detailed. Installing the OS is very easy, instructions on how to do so is very easy. Overclocking is also relatively easy. Good learning experience and honestly just plain fun. Also allows you to understand your computer a bit better to help assist with any problems that could happen in the future with any computer. And we are always here to help if you decide you wanted to save some money for better performance. Not to mention it's always great to be able to choose your own parts as it helps for higher quality parts that better fit your needs and usually last longer.

Here are some videos you could watch that may possible convince you how easy it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-01 at 04:30 PM.

This is more than a slight bit of misunderstanding
    1) Corsair, just like XFX/Coolermaster/Fractal Design/eVGA/ et c, doesn't actually build PSUs. They go to one of the "big boys", one of the ones who actually builds them.
    2) Super Flower is one of these, and their best platforms are on-par/sometimes better than SeaSonic's. Their worst are, just like every other OEM, meh at best.
    3) The PSU is fine. 450w is more than fine. Can't upgrade the GPU? Even a system with an r9 290x pulls 405w from the wall, (and seeing as this was tested with a gold-rated unit, means the whole system actually only draws 360w).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand that language in the picture, but a r9 290X is capable of pulling almost 300W on it's own at 100% load from my understanding. That been said, none of this matters to the OP as 450W would easily power a 750/750ti/760 with a 4690/4690k.

Deleted
    Cheers for the continued input guys. So an alternative build I've been recommended elsewhere is below - comes in at a similar price but with a smaller SSD and HD, which to be fair is probably all I'd need. Thoughts on the R9 over the 760?

1 x Powercolor Radeon R9 290 PCS+ OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £199.99
    1 x Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £179.99
    1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) £77.99
    1 x Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £61.99
    1 x TeamGroup Vulcan RED 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLRED38G2400HC11CDC01) £56.99
    1 x SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £49.99
    1 x SK Hynix 128GB SSD SH910A SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (HFS128G32MNB-2201A) £44.99
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD10EZRX) **SINGLE PLATTER** HDD £42.95
    1 x Xigmatek Mach Midi-Tower Black £19.99
    Total : £744.47 (includes shipping : £8.00). - (further £60 build cost)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you give us a link to that build? Would be better to see what options are available. While the 290 is generally fine, I do have concerns with that SSD as well as the HDD being the Green edition. Caviar Green is a "power saving" HDD which basically means you spend the same amount as a WD Blue for less performance.

I've always been inclined towards power efficiency but never at the cost of performance. You don't save that much power anyways so I don't see the point.

Deleted
    You might want to also take Nvidia's features into account, when comparing to AMD (Like Shadowplay versus AMD's TrueAudio stuff)

Yeah skip the Western digital greens, they caused my wow to stutter due to always going in park mode

7+ Year Old Account
    Cheers for the continued input guys. So an alternative build I've been recommended elsewhere is below - comes in at a similar price but with a smaller SSD and HD, which to be fair is probably all I'd need. Thoughts on the R9 over the 760?

1 x Powercolor Radeon R9 290 PCS+ OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £199.99
    1 x Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £179.99
    1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) £77.99
    1 x Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £61.99
    1 x TeamGroup Vulcan RED 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLRED38G2400HC11CDC01) £56.99
    1 x SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £49.99
    1 x SK Hynix 128GB SSD SH910A SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (HFS128G32MNB-2201A) £44.99
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD10EZRX) **SINGLE PLATTER** HDD £42.95
    1 x Xigmatek Mach Midi-Tower Black £19.99
    Total : £744.47 (includes shipping : £8.00). - (further £60 build cost)
    I've always prefered Nvidia, but that's personal preference. This is a solid build, but I agree with the other poster, skip the Green drive and get a Blue.
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.