Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hc Magisters terrace was completely fine with some melee. Even if no CC or just 1 CC ingroup. Most tanks just sucked. This applies to all BC heroics by the way.

I agree that some of the current CM content (even heroics) are very punishing for melee - if they want to stay out of trouble their dps uptime will be lower on bosses, which does matter when you're against the clock. However I don't think it matters much unless you're up for gold.
    Last edited by Zka; 2014-12-02 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I agree that some of the current CM content (even heroics) are very punishing for melee - if they want to stay out of trouble their dps uptime will be lower on bosses, which does matter when you're against the clock.
    Luckily most of the melee are miles ahead on DPS than casters (if we're not including our Hunter overlords as casters).

Deleted
    They should honestly nerf ranged classes for cms and that would even the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Anc View Post
    They should honestly nerf ranged classes for cms and that would even the scales.
    it wouldnt do anything - unless someone is going for gold dps doesnt really matter that much - its just most healers in cms are utter garbage and healing anything but 3 range is beyond their capabilities - but same thing can be said about melee - most have no clue how to use their defensive cds and thats why they are geting insta-gibed and then this spreads further - with each shitty melee people are more and more convince that all melee are incapable of performing decent in cms.

Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    My guild already has CM groups running, I only get a spot if I'm fortunate enough that one of the regular dps is not coming. Just because you have a guild, maybe even friends playing WoW, doesn't mean you have an infinite supply of good groups for CM.
    well then how about seting your own 2nd group in the guild and leading it instead just leech from others ? unless ofc your guild consist of 6 people
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2014-12-02 at 01:38 PM.

As a ret pala, I was only able to get a group once outside of my guild, even though I had 635 ilvl. I would blame lack of achievement first of all (99% of all premade groups demand linked achievement), but still, if you read the comments, almost all of them demand ranged DPS.

I'm not surprised. Do ret palas have a group wide dps cooldown? Nope. Do have have CC? Nope. Do we have to stand close to mobs? Yup (though slightly better range overall than most melees). The one benefit is our interrupt and our stun, both of which rogues have better versions of and rogues can CC.

- - - Updated - - -

My guild already has CM groups running, I only get a spot if I'm fortunate enough that one of the regular dps is not coming. Just because you have a guild, maybe even friends playing WoW, doesn't mean you have an infinite supply of good groups for CM.
    You do have CC, Repentance.

'The one benefit is our interrupt and our stun'? First, that's two abilities. Two, you get crazy offheals with Selfless Healer, a good external in Hand of Sac (now off the GCD so doesn't sacrifice DPS), Cleanse for annoying poisons, BoP if your clothie gets aggro, excellent survivability in DP/Bubble, and boss AoE damage on trash packs.

Doesn't sound like you really understand the spec you play.
    Last edited by trystero; 2014-12-02 at 01:41 PM.

Deleted
    currently did 4 gold (slag mines, auchindoun, docks and burial grounds) in cms an until now as a ret i can say none of these where punishing for beeing a melee. Dps wise no prob whatsoever and double sac, foj sometimes freedom and bop are quite useful tools in cms. Up til now i just hate 1 pull....the one in grimrail depot in the train with 2-3 groups and army up......thats where you can die quickly.

On topic:
    Its kinda stuck in the head of people that melee is garbage but i am used to it....try get into rbg teams as a ret in the past.....

Quoted that, im in a similar boat.

My guild is currently #1 on server from last expac, and so far most geared guild going into raiding. However, I am not one of the "chosen few" that get noticed, I just have the privilege of being with them. I was there before they got #1, but still, its like unless you are in the main raid group, you get ignored most of the time, especially for that sort of thing with CM's or what have you. --note I am only there cause of a few friends from last expac and was there before they went all hardcore mode since the previous 2 leading guilds disbanded--

Deleted
    Blood DK/ + Hpala/RDruid + UH DK/Rogue, dunno spec + WW Monk(me) + Frost Mage

That's my CM group, all guildies.

The server first Golds for all CM's on my server were done with a Rogue/Monk/Warrior dps setup, they still hold the realm best for 7/8 of the runs. Melee is definitely doable, you just need to tick a couple of boxes. Bringing the buff synergy, strong AOE mixed with strong single target and good CC rotations in the form of stuns etc.

With that said the CM's still generally favour ranged with many fights being a pain in the ass for melee and easy as fuck for ranged. Example is Grimrail Depot, which is one of the easiest challenge modes. The first boss is an absolute pain in the ass for a melee group and doing it properly requires running around like a bunch of nutters while a ranged can do the fight without losing any dps due to movement. Same thing for the final boss, after the dragon does the thunder patches the boss can tend to stand in it and hardcast her spear throw...

This can become a pain in the ass as a melee trying to survive and do damage... Did it on a hunter and it is so easy in comparison to melee, it requires considerably less skill and awareness to play a ranged and do good dps, and you lose no dps to stupid stuff like the boss standing and hardcasting in nasty stuff.

Same thing if the tank dies on trash it's much easier for a ranged to kite and continue dpsing and clearing while the tank simply runs back in, it's simply an advantage to take ranged. If you're forming a premade group for times then a melee group is more than viable to Gold everything, they bring strong dps and utility, they just require more skill and are at a bigger disadvantage on a number of fights.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Did CM last night with 2 melee, no wipes and got silver in and out in around 20 minutes with no bother. Don't see how melee is that much worse, the mechanics seem to affect both types of dps the same but are if anything more predicable as a melee dps. Then again maybe this is invalid due to it been a guild group

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    I don't think it's a melee thing, I just think it's certain classes.

For example, I can't see any reason a WW Monk, UH DK and to a lesser extent Ret Paladin would ever get declined for a challenge mode group.
    We ran those 3 dps in Auchindoun yesterday and it was a nightmare. Doable, and we could probably repeat, but it made everything much tougher. The last two bosses were a nightmare.

Why not find a guild to run them with? I've done them with double melee I think every time. We aren't doing silver/gold though.

- - - Updated - - -

As a ret pala, I was only able to get a group once outside of my guild, even though I had 635 ilvl. I would blame lack of achievement first of all (99% of all premade groups demand linked achievement), but still, if you read the comments, almost all of them demand ranged DPS.

I'm not surprised. Do ret palas have a group wide dps cooldown? Nope. Do have have CC? Nope. RepentenceDo we have to stand close to mobs? Yup (though slightly better range overall than most melees). The one benefit is our interrupt and our stun, both of which rogues have better versions of and rogues can CC.

- - - Updated - - -

But you have things that rogues don't have like LoH, hop, hos, and instant flash of lights. Use your toolkit brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can tell you I personally declined a really great looking melee for a subpar caster when I formed a CM group yesterday. This is 100% on Blizzard, group leaders are just playing the game they're given. Good luck.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

LOL you think its hard to get in a "pug" group for CM's as a Melee? Try an Enhancement Shaman. I get 7-8 denied's before I get in one and the ONLY reason is Blood Lust.

Yet, I do pretty well in DPS on the fights.

Quote Originally Posted by zalapski View Post
    LOL you think its hard to get in a "pug" group for CM's as a Melee? Try an Enhancement Shaman. I get 7-8 denied's before I get in one and the ONLY reason is Blood Lust.

Yet, I do pretty well in DPS on the fights.
    Enhancement should be pretty attractive, probably the strongest AOE in the game, Bloodlust + great utility and decent burst single target... Sustained is quite another thing but Gold records show you don't need good sustained single target. Fury Warriors, Enhance Shamans, BM hunters... classes that lack the single target dps but rock the AOE for Gold times.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    We ran those 3 dps in Auchindoun yesterday and it was a nightmare. Doable, and we could probably repeat, but it made everything much tougher. The last two bosses were a nightmare.
    Yea I finally got in a CM Auch last night and it took 3 hours running Fury/Ret/Hunter. We wiped 18 times on the 2nd to last boss and prob 5-10 times on the last boss. It wasn't even a bad group, everyone was playing as well as possible. Whoever says Melee aren't at disadvantage needs to take a closer look. The only reason we got the last 2 bosses down was cause of Drums of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    It's just a tradition that Blizzard kind of hates Melee, really.

Some extreme cases you could argue that melee has been absurdly strong or what not - But the opposite has always been able to have been said for the range counter-part, in almost every expansion afaik.

Which, naturally, leaves the melee more exposed - as they are simply that, Melee. They cannot output the same damage without putting themselves to more risk, hence, you are going to be suffering more, the more melee you run.

This can be compensated for, with skill, naturally - But overall, i think it's the natural order of things to assume that Ranged has a inherit advantage versus Melee.
    double titan's grip kuhmayamaya leather armor pen warriors were the best dps ever in wrath

10+ Year Old Account
    I always bring 1 melee when forming a group. Interupts seem alot smoother with one.