Help me buy a new computer mmo champion!

I'm trying to find a better gaming rid than I currently have. My computer right now is nothing special, it's an acer computer with a AMD radeon hd 7660 card. I was thinking of either getting the alienware x51 with the i7 processor and geforce 750 card or the asus rog 20. I'm really open to suggestions, help would be lovely since I don't know much about computers -_-

Id go for an i5 or i7 and no less than a 750 gaming card an 8 gigs of ram. You dont have to buy brand name to get these specs
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Id go for an i5 or i7 and no less than a 750 gaming card an 8 gigs of ram. You dont have to buy brand name to get these specs
    I'm definitely going for an i7. Stupid question but do processors impact game performance or is that all through memory and video card? ;_; told you I didn't know much about computers.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A) Wrong forum. Post in the builds subforum.

B) Read the sticky post at the top of that forum and fill out the information provided inside that sticky when you make a post so that we know how to properly help you

Prebuilts are generally avoided here as they are always the sub par choice. Alienware in particular is probably the worst offender. The fact that it's convincing you to go for an i7 CPU with a measely GTX 750 only supports that claim.

Also, aside from the occasional higher clock speed, i7s have 0 benefit in gaming over an i5 CPU as both have 4 cores. The only difference is the i7 has hyper threading, which helps with multi threaded tasks such as video rendering, but not in gaming. Please just follow my instructions in "B)" and we can hopefully get you on the right track on making smarter decisions and probably even gain quite a bit of knowledge through the experience.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-02 at 04:07 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

As mentioned above Pre-builts are generally not the best choice, they got good ones don't get me wrong. But they always over-price them, and give you odd mixed parts. Unless you chose the parts specifically.

I understand how it is to also not know much of computers. It is highly recommended that you teach yourself how to build them. They're honestly not hard. Basically adult Lego's. I taught myself by simply watching Youtube videos.

But alas, if building is completely out of the option for you I'd recommend checking out CyberpowerPC and / or Ibuypower for Pre-builts. Assuming you're from America anyways.

Go to their sites, pick the foundation PC of your choice, and you can chose the parts you want in it. They'll build it, and then ship it to you. Or you can do the faster route and buy a pre assembled CyberpowerPC or Ibuypower computer from sites like Walmart, Newegg, Amazon or even Bestbuy. Just buy it and they ship it.