Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    She just gave me an update on the situation.

Because she's on disability and receiving medicare she has to pay personal protection insurance, which is medical coverage for hospitalization incase of an accident and the ambulance ride, because medicare won't cover that. That part of her policy is $2100/year through All-State, if it weren't for that her premium would $800/year.

So right now her total is $2900/year. Apparently when she turns 60 she can decline to have this (from what I read, could be wrong), but that's not for another 8 years.

I guess what she's saying is that because she doesn't have medical insurance outside of Medicare, she has to have this extra shit. With that, she can't opt out of any of it. She has to put into it for things that are useless to her like wage loss.

Deleted
    Holy crap !

My car insurance here in England is £180 / year. ($300?)

I get breakdown assistance and a free courtesy car should mine be involved in an accident.

Is American insurance always this high for you guys or are you all driving super cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmomaths View Post
    Holy crap !

My car insurance here in England is £180 / year. ($300?)

I get breakdown assistance and a free courtesy car should mine be involved in an accident.

Is American insurance always this high for you guys or are you all driving super cars?
    Is that just for minimum third party or what?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

HIs American insurance always this high for you guys or are you all driving super cars?
    No, we just have a bunch of assholes who feel texting is more important than say, actually driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am an agent in Louisiana so I really can't speak to Michigan law but it is up to the states to determine what the minimum coverage and endorsements would be needed in that state. However, most insurance companies will tack on endorsements that aren't really required just to boost premiums. I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if you named your insurance company. There are many really solid and highly rated companies that offer quality policies for much less than the State Farms of the world. Companies like Kemper and SafeCo are really good. Also you could be getting reamed by your agent also, many possibilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Is that just for minimum third party or what?
    Fully comp on a 2005 mg zr with Admiral.

Im 36.

Yes my car sucks for my age.

I dont care

Deleted
    Holy shit sticks, us insurance is insane!
    Just renewed my wife's insurance....£140 for the year fully comprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    That sounds fucky, I'd start shopping around. Insurer's are more likely to negotiate if they're about to lose business. Get some new quotes.

$240 a month is more than I pay at 32 :\
    well most people like to drive a car not ride a scooter

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    well most people like to drive a car not ride a scooter
    I drive an SUV. It's sort of like a scooter.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    I guess cost of living sort of balances.

Whilst English car insurance is more than 10x cheaper it seems, house prices are fu*king rediculous to the point of unaffordable for most people in a full time job.

First time buyers in the working class simply don't exist in South East England unless you have rich parents.

Fully comp on a 2005 mg zr with Admiral.

Im 36.

Yes my car sucks for my age.

I dont care
    Think mine is currently at £280 per year on a Honda CRV. Screw paying that per month :S

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    That's insane. I drive a sports car, and full coverage + renter's insurance for the house I'm renting is $113/mo...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    wow you guys pay a lot for car insurance over in the US! That's what I'd expect an 18yr old to pay in the UK (unless she drives a ferrari!)

I guess the crazy "no fault" thing has a lot to do with it. If I could just decide to drive my car into some-one for fun and his insurance would pay out the same as mine I think we'd have high premiums too.

And to the guy compaining about house prices in the SE. Easy - live up north - 3 bed semi for £1000k
    Last edited by Eezagoode; 2014-12-03 at 09:44 PM.

I actually work with insurances in the Netherlands (Europe), over here ~€25 a month is a fairly normal rate. The prices you Americans are listing sound absolutely insane to me, you pay more in a month than the average person does over here in a year O.o