Deleted

Will this laptop run Warlords of Draenor?

Hey guys -

Im currently looking for a new budget laptop - but would like it to be able to play wow wod (I know it wont be on ultra with below system).

These are the specs:

Lenovo Z50-70
    15.6" Full HD
    GeForce 840M,
    Core i5-4210U,
    6GB RAM,
    1000GB SSHD

If perhaps someone is running wow wod on the same system or similar, then please let me know how its working out?
    - All input will be appreciated!

If you're gonna game on a laptop, go i7 or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If you're gonna game on a laptop, go i7 or go home.
    This. Laptop processors are different than desktop processors, so you think an i5 would get the job done but I'm pretty sure that's only a dual core, wheras an i7 is quad. But yes, that'll play wow

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

Deleted
    You can gimp the wow grafic likely enough don't know if it will be an enjoyable experience thought.

Quote Originally Posted by zolok2.0 View Post
    This. Laptop processors are different than desktop processors, so you think an i5 would get the job done but I'm pretty sure that's only a dual core, wheras an i7 is quad. But yes, that'll play wow
    Bunch of mobile i7's are dual cores.

youre gonna need to play with graphics on poor/fair but i think you'll be alright
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The fall of the [Berlin] wall was a mistake. Germans are becoming too dangerous again. Their action in Ukraine show that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can run WoD on a i3 with HD 4600 graphics. So long as you're willing to lower the graphic settings. Pretty much any PC for the past 5-6 years that doesn't have an Intel Atom or AMD's E series of CPUs can probably run WoD.

Literally from Blizzard.
    Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, ATI Radeon HD 4850 or Intel HD Graphics 3000

I bot an Acer Aspire two years ago with a AMD A6-3420M CPU, 4 GB DDR3 ram, and AMD Radeon 6520G + 7670M 1GB video cards

see it here:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...029&CatId=4938

An i5 seems to be better than what I got per this comparison test:
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...s-AMD-A6-3420M

My laptop runs WoW fine. I turn water effects to lowest settings which is the biggest thing. Shadows to lowest. Something like 30-60 fps out in the world. I have not raided yet with it. I did a Tarren Mill BG. It took a while for it to load the graphics of all the players but once it did, it ran smoothly.

tips:

1. Use a monitor other than the one on your lid.

Seems to make it run faster. I think it might be because its generating less heat by not having to run the display. Every few degrees counts.

2. Heat and dust is a killer.

Keep the laptop in a well-ventilated area. Not up against a wall. Don't leave it setting flat on your table. If I used the screen on the lid, I would take 2 soda bottle caps and prop up the back of the laptop to allow air to flow underneath.

For raids in the past, I bought a Stanley air blower:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-High-V.../dp/B0001BJDUQ

I turn it on full blast and aim it right at the laptop to blow away heat and keep the CPU cooler. It makes a noticeable difference in raids. FPS clicks up at least 10 points. Currently I have my laptop sitting on a wooden cage-style shelf with plenty of gaps underneath it for air to flow freely.

3. Clean out dust from the internal fans / laying on the cpu if needed.

Dust acts as a blanket and traps heat. Makes computer run slower.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2014-12-03 at 03:37 AM.

Deleted
    As others said already, if you want to play games on a laptop you should take i7. My i5-3230m chokes pretty hard with WoD and Firefox with ~10 tabs running.

Deleted
    Soon as i get home ill fire up my fiance's laptop, and will make some screenshots in outdoor and heavy populated areas to show you an actual Fps, not the presumptions some of the baboons above gave you.

Similar to your's if i remember right, i5 4th gen and a gt 740m, which is on the older side, the laptop is Lenovo U430 Touch version. Just an insight, she plays on a mix on high and shadows on low and so on, but on a 1080p screen, and the fps is usually in the 40+, dipping lower in crowded areas.