Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Distracting shot does not work on bosses. It is not a taunt, it "forces" the target to target you for the duration of the spell(6-8 secs, dunno), but you don't gain any threat, unlike true taunts. As soon as the buff falls off the target turns to the player with the highest threat.
    Isn't this what a "real" taunt does as well? I mean, when I'm playing my tank characters, if I taunt something and then don't manage to get a few damaging abilities in (thus building threat), before the taunt wears off, the mob turns around and attacks whatever it was attacking before...

---

on topic, I deterrenced a train running over me a couple days ago. Or at least, pretty sure I was run over, and I know I deterrenced, and I didn't seem to lose much life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by knitten View Post
    Isn't this what a "real" taunt does as well? I mean, when I'm playing my tank characters, if I taunt something and then don't manage to get a few damaging abilities in (thus building threat), before the taunt wears off, the mob turns around and attacks whatever it was attacking before...
    A real taunt gives you as much threat as the person with the most threat had, plus everything you do againt this target for the duration of the taunt generates more threat, plus (and that's the only thing distracting shot has in common with a taunt) the target is forced to attack you for the duration of the taunt.

Plus distracting shot simply doesn't work against bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzet View Post
    Has anyone else had trouble with pets getting instakilled by the fire from Admiral Ga'ran's turrets in the maidens fight? I'm guessing it's an oversight (as usual) and their damage reduction doesn't cover the damage from the turrets.
    Yeah, this is extremely annoying.. even if you keep your pet on the bosses, chances of a turret hitting them are kind of high and random... I pretty much just leave my pet dead until garan is dead then phoenix it. Hopefully gets fixed soon...
    Armory 7/7M 6/10M

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by knitten View Post
    on topic, I deterrenced a train running over me a couple days ago. Or at least, pretty sure I was run over, and I know I deterrenced, and I didn't seem to lose much life.
    Yes deterrence blocks the damage from the trains.

Other tips for Mythic Operator Thogar:

- You can feign death the delayed siege bombs. Make sure you lie still for at least a second so the cannon drops target. Mage invis and priest spectral guise works too. Probably shadowmeld as well (some alliance can confirm?)
    - Deterrence prevents the first fire stack from the deforester flame. However, if you already have a stack on you, deterrence does not prevent it from stacking further.
    - Disengaging through deforester flame gives you just 1 stack, rotating deterr and disengage is recommended to minimize the damage.
    Last edited by mmoc9e8e7fdb19; 2015-02-16 at 02:06 AM.

On Blackhand P3 you can deter the damage from the knockback when everyone stacks, but still receive the knockback. Also, when knocked back, you can disengage in mid air to redirect your direction so you won't fall off the side and die, or land in a volcano. Mages can blink this, warriors heroic leap, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikid View Post
    On Blackhand P3 you can deter the damage from the knockback when everyone stacks, but still receive the knockback. Also, when knocked back, you can disengage in mid air to redirect your direction so you won't fall off the side and die, or land in a volcano. Mages can blink this, warriors heroic leap, etc.
    If we deter the knockback, do everyone else get increased dmg? Because if they do, you're saving yourself while potencially killing someone else not topped, due to not counting you on the dmg sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrogs View Post
    A real taunt gives you as much threat as the person with the most threat had, plus everything you do againt this target for the duration of the taunt generates more threat, plus (and that's the only thing distracting shot has in common with a taunt) the target is forced to attack you for the duration of the taunt.

Tooltips, per wowhead:

Distracting Shot: Distracts the target to attack you for 6 sec, and increases threat you generate for 6 sec.
    Growl (Druid): Taunts the target to attack you, and increases threat that you generate against the target for 3 sec.
    Dark Command (DK): Commands the target to attack you, and increases threat that you generate against the target for 3 sec.
    Warrior Taunt and Paladin Reckoning have similar language to Growl, while the Monk Provoke just says that it taunts the target and slows 'em down (I'll have to log on my brewmaster later to see if there is a debuff on the target the way there is with other taunts).

I think I'll have to dig into this some more to see if "Taunts the target" vs "Commands the target" vs "Distracts the target" mean different things, or if it's just flavor difference. Also, how come actual tank class taunts are 3 sec, while hunter Distracting Shot is 6sec?

Deleted
    The biggest differences are:
    Taunt raises your current threat to match the player with the currently most threat while distracting shot doesn't (even though the target will attack you while the distracting shot debuff is active).
    So if Player A had 10k threat on a target while Player B has 5k and Player B taunts, his threat will raise up to 10k.
    If Player B were to use Distracting Shot, his threat will remain at 5k.
    Of course, using abilities after the taunt/ distracting shot will gerenate more threat.

And bosses are immune to distracting shot.

You can use freezing trap on the Inferno Totem to interrupt it @ Iron maiden trash.

The biggest differences are:
    Taunt raises your current threat to match the player with the currently most threat while distracting shot doesn't (even though the target will attack you while the distracting shot debuff is active).
    So if Player A had 10k threat on a target while Player B has 5k and Player B taunts, his threat will raise up to 10k.
    If Player B were to use Distracting Shot, his threat will remain at 5k.
    Of course, using abilities after the taunt/ distracting shot will gerenate more threat.

And bosses are immune to distracting shot.
    FYI When I've seen earlier discussions with Blizzard on the subject, distracting shot and a few other non-taunts were called "fixates". There was a big issue when DKs first came out that one of their abilities was only a fixate rather than a taunt.

They've removed that +200% Threat Gen during your taunt duration on tank classes taunts. its a big Gripe for us tanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenkor View Post
    They've removed that +200% Threat Gen during your taunt duration on tank classes taunts. its a big Gripe for us tanks
    Did not know that. Thanks.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Beastlord

If the dragon aims the Fireblast at you (the cone is much larger than the animation makes you believe it is), you can deterrence which prevents you from receiving more than 1 stack - 0 if you are fast).

The wolf howls periodically with http://www.wowhead.com/spell=155198 , which increases Attack Speed of himself and friendlies around him. You can use Tranq Shot to get rid of it. On Mythic, you will also have to dispel the boss once he dismounts at 40%. That will happen twice before the wolf is down. If you are assigned to do the dispel, volunteer to take care of the boss. Following macro helps with this:

#showtooltip Tranquilizing Shot
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /target Beastlord Darmac
    /cast Tranquilizing Shot
    /targetlasttarget
    This way, you can keep the wolf targeted and just press one button to dispel the boss without any manual target switching. By the way, Glyph of Tranquilizing Shot helps you to save 40 focus as well.
    Last edited by Sazda; 2015-02-20 at 03:42 PM.

Beastlord Darmac Mythic: Disengage over flames on the ground without getting DMG of it.
    Deterence blocks the DMG from Superheated Shrapnel.

During blackhands transition from p1 to p2, disengage while falling to be on the balcony when the first adds spawn just a few secs later. Stun with binding shot in spawn location and clear them all by yourself using massive aoe. Requires a bit of luck though, because they can also spawn elsewhere.

For reference see this kill I recorded https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-htDzlg_qU
    Last edited by Heltoray; 2015-02-21 at 05:47 PM.

Deleted
    Thx for that one. Tried it a few times now. Like you said some luck required.

Just a couple tips I've picked up on for surviving in BRF.

-If you are Dwarf, stoneform all the things. It's off the GCD and reduces damage taken. It clears super heated shrapnel debuff on Darmak.

-Take advantage of your kill shot heals. When you KS a hand on Kromog or Pack Beast on Darmac it will give you 15% hp if the targets dies from your KS. I use mouseover and boss frames to kill shot anything I can.

-There is an engineering belt tinker that has a 5 minute cooldown that is not shared with anything. It will shield you for 40k hp and keep you alive.

-When you do the boat wit the blood puddles on Iron Maidens. If you get in a good rhythm you can maintain sniper training without taking damage. Your timing has to be spot on.

K i have a question - While it may be totally unrelated to the topic (I remembered as I saw the stop cast macro) - When I am using the macro:
    /stopcasting
    /cast Kill Shot

I am using cobra shot, then hit the macro for Kill Shot once its up and it doesn't stop cast the cobra shot.
    On the other hand the same macro works when used with Kill command flawlessly
    (/stopcasting
    /cast Kill Command)

Any ideas and suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Anaeska View Post
    K i have a question - While it may be totally unrelated to the topic (I remembered as I saw the stop cast macro) - When I am using the macro:
    /stopcasting
    /cast Kill Shot

I am using cobra shot, then hit the macro for Kill Shot once its up and it doesn't stop cast the cobra shot.
    On the other hand the same macro works when used with Kill command flawlessly
    (/stopcasting
    /cast Kill Command)

Any ideas and suggestions?
    put 2 /stopcasting.

/stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /cast Kill Command

I'm using a similar for interrupts , FD, deterrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazda View Post
    Beastlord

If the dragon aims the Fireblast at you (the cone is much larger than the animation makes you believe it is), you can deterrence which prevents you from receiving more than 1 stack - 0 if you are fast).

The wolf howls periodically with http://www.wowhead.com/spell=155198 , which increases Attack Speed of himself and friendlies around him. You can use Tranq Shot to get rid of it. On Mythic, you will also have to dispel the boss once he dismounts at 40%. That will happen twice before the wolf is down. If you are assigned to do the dispel, volunteer to take care of the boss. Following macro helps with this:

This way, you can keep the wolf targeted and just press one button to dispel the boss without any manual target switching. By the way, Glyph of Tranquilizing Shot helps you to save 40 focus as well.
    I personally do not recommend targetlasttarget macros. That milisecond target switch turns off your auto shot which is some fraction of a dps loss. (as does the stopcasting).

A more efficient option would be this:

#Showtooltip Tranquilizing Shot
    /cast [@Beastlord Darmac] Tranquilizing Shot

It accomplishes the same thing without cutting off your auto shots. You can time it so there is no need to stopcasting.

My preffered macro is

#showtooltip Tranquilizing Shot
    /cast [@mouseover,harm][] Tranquilizing Shot

It's not fight specific and allows me to Tranq the target of my choice. Albeit now at 50 focus I probably wouldn't tranq both.

I use shadowed unit frames and I have boss frames that show both the wolf and Darmac which is very easy to mouseover.