Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Archiul View Post
    If machines are going to create machines, I think what we need to have is a serious inspection on the next gen machines that the machines themselves are creating. We should almost definitely have a kill-switch. And that kill-switch must be on every single AI there is, and we should make sure of that.
    Sounds great on paper but mad scientists do crazy stuff, they would probably purposely leave out a kill switch.

I welcome AI taking over. As long as they know that i know they are sentient and think that they were the cause of an irresponsible creator. Maybe that will make them have mercy on me. haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Would the machines be driven by greed, money, and power? If not then they'll be way ahead of us once they catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiul View Post
    If machines are going to create machines, I think what we need to have is a serious inspection on the next gen machines that the machines themselves are creating. We should almost definitely have a kill-switch. And that kill-switch must be on every single AI there is, and we should make sure of that.
    It's incredibly hard to reverse engineer complex technology like that, made by other humans.

If we're talking an AI that's designing shit we can't understand, it would be pretty easy for them to hide... anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hawking's not all that. I tend to ignore these stories about what he "says."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    It's incredibly hard to reverse engineer complex technology like that, made by other humans.

If we're talking an AI that's designing shit we can't understand, it would be pretty easy for them to hide... anything.
    If the ai is capable of introspection, which it would almost have ro be, if true ai, it would see that killswitch if programmed in, or if a hardwired killswitch it would be in a closed circuit environment, meaning no internet...

Either it would overwrite the code, or be nothing to be afraid of in the first place...
    I still like the idea of a symbiotic relationship with it, people,are to pessimistic...
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

The fact he probably said this with his robot voice makes it even more crazy to think about.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is just the computer to make something like this happen. Imagine a computer capable of learning in the same capacity as a human, but exponentially faster. Scary thought.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The fact he probably said this with his robot voice makes it even more crazy to think about.
    He had the option to change his voice when he got a software upgrade but decided to keep the robot voice also.

15+ Year Old Account
    It might end mankind. And it should end mankind as it is now. We're too barbaric, too animalistic, too dependent on our primal urges and instincts. Merely using technology doesn't make any of us advanced, few even understand how it works. We should become one with machines, discard our current animal-pattern-filled existence and evolve with the machines. Transhumanism is the future.

"I believe we will remain in charge of the technology for a decently long time and the potential of it to solve many of the world problems will be realised," said Rollo Carpenter, creator of Cleverbot.

cool - so even the creators realize the potential world ending road we travel down. anybody that doesnt think AI taking over can actually happen doesnt have any vision and cant see past their own nose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever told hawking he is full of crap and doesn't know what hes talking about?. It would be funny if only to see his reaction.
    pretty sure he would just think you're an idiot - he was a regular guy once upon a time - im sure somebody has told him his shit stinks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    As soon as computers come close to being as smart as us you should worry... you have to be as smart as us to do things as stupid as we do to ourselves.

AI and computers are a long ways off from humans though unless something major is discovered that causes a leap in computing. Computers are much dumber than people think they are.
    dumber than people think but smarter than you know.
    -oxymoronic

Deleted
    Properly programmed AI, with fail safes, can be developed without it becoming a threat to Humanity.

Issac Asimov's 3 laws of robotics are perfect in that they cover every possible issue, ofcourse with the exception of a few glitches that were discussed in his novels, but nothing at grand scale.

Why does a theoretical physicist claim to know what an AI is going to do to mankind?

Lately I found steven to be more of a money grab with sensationalist bullcrap like this

15+ Year Old Account
    It might sound like a sci-fi plot, but it's a really valid concerns, and there's a lot of "thinkers" and people in the relevant fields concerned about it. I don't think we'll ever develop a true A.I. that is without restrictions or at least values implanted by us, but if sophisticated enough there's nothing to stop it breaking free from that just like humans do all the time. It's something that can either be incredible for the advancement of the human race, or literally end us. Whatever the case, it won't stop being worked on, so best we can hope for is to learn how it would think and what would motivate it, and create a solid foundation and "reward system" (think endorphins, but for A.I.) to motivate desirable behavior. And hopefully a lot of fail-safes.

Someone's gonna build an AI with a humanoid body. Then they're gonna try and do something inappropriate to it. That will be mankind's downfall. No existential man-kills-God, mankind-is-a-virus type stuff. Just some lonely scientist and the bad touch.

"where were you when the machines took over?"
    "trying to put my dong into a fleshlight attached to a supercomputer"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Why does a theoretical physicist claim to know what an AI is going to do to mankind?

Lately I found steven to be more of a money grab with sensationalist bullcrap like this
    Why would a programmer know it any better? It would be, by definition, unpredictable and not bound by programmed rules and behavior.

Deleted
    Is stephen speaking on behalf of himself then or....?

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Is stephen speaking on behalf of himself then or....?
    That's an interesting angle because yeah he would probably spring for all the bells and whistles.

What if Stephen Hawking is actually already dead? And his wheelchair battlestation has already been impregnated with a sophisticated AI? In 60 years while we're all toiling away in the mines, Cyborg Hawking will be lording over us all on his ramp accessible throne.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Could it help blizz with their servers?
    thats a hardware issue, so maybe not, unless it ordered them and had them installed.
    However it WOULD help with the answering of tickets more quickly.