Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    RNG is what makes RPGs interesting.
    Absolutely this. Without RNG there is virtually no incentive to repeat content, which would be kinda sorta game-ending for MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    RNG! I hate RNG so much! And why does EVERY single MMORPG have to use it? So, damn frustrating!

What's your archenemy when it comes down to MMORPGs?
    Valyrian;

Is there a way you could potentially, maybe, create three threads per day that actually contain something in the direction of content? Engagement? Right now, your daily pattern is>
    - Find gamerelated news
    - Grab the URL
    - Grab one or two Quotes
    - Don't give an opinion
    - Ask people what they think
    - That times 3

In responses, you often come off as slightly more talkative and you normally at least try to write down something coherent. But your threads man, it's ridiculous. This forum is not the Valyrian Stormclaw board. Try to try a little less hard to be interesting and just follow the actually interesting topics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm sure it's not a perfect system, but at least there'd be some kind of a "cap" or a "wall" you could work towards to make sure you finally get there, unless you get there earlier thanks to good RNG. The way the system is now, you can go 1000 tries and not get a 1% drop.
    You're sort of describing psuedo-random number generation. Math nerds can clearly explain exactly how it works, but in practice it "weights" each pull of the slot machine so that the more times you fail, the more your chance of succeeding increases... I guess until success is virtually guaranteed (I don't think it ever strictly goes from 0 to 1 in terms of probability; ask a math nerd.) Like if you have a 15% chance to crit something, your first swing's chance will actually be much lower than 15%... then after a couple of regular hits, it's around 15%, and if you get a few more regular hits, your chance to crit will be like 40% or something, until you eventually do crit, and it resets.

In terms of loot, the best way of doing it is simply making it currency based and removed the RNG. Progression-related stuff should never be up to random chance; leave the super rare drops type stuff for cosmetic stuff and other goodies that don't really affect gameplay.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quite frankly my stomach while doing group content

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you mean RNG just in reference to loot drops or in general? Because most games would be quite boring or not function at all without RNG .

On a side-note of RNG with loot, drop chance doesn't bother me but I do miss random (within a set range of course) stats on items in MMO's.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    In terms of loot, the best way of doing it is simply making it currency based and removed the RNG.
    Well, I don't agree with that personally. Some level of RNG is good, as it does indeed keep things interesting. Simply grinding, growing a virtual number, is akin to lobotomy.

RNG! I hate RNG so much! And why does EVERY single MMORPG have to use it? So, damn frustrating!

Dumb gamers that don't realise a 30 hour long game is nothing compared to WoW and WoW is by far the greatest game ever made.

go play chess then.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    The archenemy of mmos is the developers themselves
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Dumb gamers that don't realise a 30 hour long game is nothing compared to WoW and WoW is by far the greatest game ever made.
    If someone disagrees are you going to take your ball and go home?.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Hope your joking theres plenty of stuff wrong with WoW
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't agree with that personally. Some level of RNG is good, as it does indeed keep things interesting. Simply grinding, growing a virtual number, is akin to lobotomy.
    There's nothing interesting about it if you stop and think about what you're doing. You're doing the same thing either way, the only difference is that in one way, you won't necessarily be rewarded for your efforts, while with the other way, the rewards are guaranteed.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Gating content is the archenemy IMO, I hate waiting around before I can have fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talthanor View Post
    On the other hand a lot of influential role-players are really horrible, spiteful and manipulative. I've seen so many great people stabbed in the back by their fellow role-players and more often than not it's over something really bizarre or petty.
    I've never really role-played in WoW or anything else but this makes perfect sense.

Oh and rng should be tweaked for old content to reward persistence. It's frustrating when you try hard at something that isn't really relevant anymore and yet never get rewarded when a bunch of people around you don't even have a clue and get rewarded by dumb luck.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted
    There's nothing interesting about it if you stop and think about what you're doing. You're doing the same thing either way, the only difference is that in one way, you won't necessarily be rewarded for your efforts, while with the other way, the rewards are guaranteed.
    I'm sure I don't need to write an explanation about how gambling is exciting. I simply think there should be some kind of limit to how much you can lose while gambling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ytlayol View Post
    Gating content is the archenemy IMO, I hate waiting around before I can have fun.
    It's inevitable if you're playing an MMO where all of the content is end-game. This isn't a problem for games like Guild Wars 2, or EVE Online, but for "traditional" or "theme park" MMOs like WoW or FF14, it's something that's just part of how they're run.

I think the first developer to figure out how to still have the theme park experience without designing it around repeatedly doing the same dungeons and raids for the 3-4 months between each content push is going to make a ridiculous amount of money.

I'm sure I don't need to write an explanation about how gambling is exciting. I simply think there should be some kind of limit to how much you can lose while gambling.
    But then it's not gambling, is it?

Deleted
    Umm... Of course it is.

10+ Year Old Account

Gambling and MMOs use RNGs for the same reason: intermittent reward is addictive.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Gambling and MMOs use RNGs for the same reason: intermittent reward is addictive.
    What PizzaSHARK was trying to say was that if there would be an internal system within the RNG, that would build towards success, then while there still would be RNG and you could still get the item or whatever on the first try (instead of the guaranteed 100th or whatever), that it wouldn't be gambling. His point makes no sense, though, and he's wrong.

Leveling. There is no need for it as a gameplay device in most cases. In particular when it is bundled with things like story or multiple modes of play.

MMOs with linear character leveling are very tiring.