Deleted

Internet Issues - Help ASAP

Hey everyone!

I live in the UK and I'm with Sky for my ISP. Me and my family recently switched to Fibre Optic and we started to have a few issues.
    I game the most out of all of us, I play WoW, LoL and quite a few other games.

The first day on Fibre was fine, it was all good. 36MB/s download and 8MB/s upload via Speedtest.net.
    The next day is when we started to have some issues. My desk is right next to the cable in the wall that connects the router and the house phone to it, which means the router is on my desk. There are a few ethernet cables coming out of the router that go to the Sky box (for TV), a Playstation and a wire going into a plug thats in a plug socket. Now the 'plug' in the plug socket is how my dad connects to the internet. He has the parter of the plug, plugged in downstairs which has an ethernet cable running out of that going straight into his computer, so his internet his half wired, half wireless.

Now let's get down to the issue.

Whenever I play a game, I experience LOTS of Disconnects, and on League of Legends, my ping goes from about 100ms to 200ms, but it changes very fast. It is constantly going up and down, causing my game to make my character jump around the screen and I can't really control what I'm doing. On WoW, things just start to slowly mess up, and the game starts to lag increasingly more and then I get a DC on WoW. I connect to the internet via Wireless, a Netgear Adapter (WNA3100M) and I did a speedtest. The internet speed goes up to about 20MB/s which I don't have a problem with, however after a second it will start to drop slowly for a second and just freeze, then it will rise back up again. It will keep doing that for the duration of the test, which is where I assume the lag is. Here's my speedtest ; prntscr(.)com/5cqn3p and here's an image of the graph from the download speed on the speedtest ; prntscr(.)com/5cqn81

I removed everything from around my Router, Speakers, I enabled aeroplane mode on my mobile phone. We have a Wireless Sender / Receiver to send upstairs a copy of the skybox for my sisters in their bedroom. I switched that off, and that had no effect. I tried unplugging different cables from my computer and that didn't work. Nothing seems to be working.

My Mum spoke to the Sky Fibre team and they said that there was a problem with the line. They sent her a text 48 hours later saying it had been fixed, and I was still having issues. My mum rung back up, and they said that there was another problem with the line. I personally don't see how there can be a problem with the line if I'm having these issues and my dad isn't.

Also something else to note. My brother upstairs (3 story house) has the same problems with internet. DC's and massive lag. Now heres where it gets 3spooky5me, all other devices that have wireless inbuilt are fine. I grabbed my Chromebook and did a speedtest on that, 20MB/s download which is what it shows on my PC and it DIDNT have the spikes shown in the images tagged in this post. 2spooky..

Thanks for any help you guys can give me,

Deleted
    Try unplugging the sky box and see if that improves things. If you're streaming media down the line to both your skybox and computers you're going to start bottlenecking the connection.

If Sky have said however that there is an issue - there probably is an issue out of your control. I use Sky and their customer support is great so don't be afraid to hound them until this is sorted.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused with this business with your Dad. Could you explain that in more detail? You could be inadvertently creating a loopback.

Deleted
    I've tried unplugging the skybox, and it didn't do anything :P

I guess I'll sit tight until Sky come up with an answer, thanks.

EDIT : And the thing with my dad? He uses this : uk(.)tp-link(.)com/products/details/?model=TL-PA211KIT

He has his computer room downstairs.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb

Hello Throthnir,

Welcome to the MMO-C IT Servicedesk, we have picked up your case and would like to ask you following questions:
    - Do you have a smart phone? If so, please download the app "Wifi Analyzer", to see which channel the WIFI is currently set to.
    - Have you tried moving the Router's WIFI channel to a different one? By default the channels are set to Channel 1, which is used by -every- router in existence, until changed by the owner.
    - Is your desk with the router close to a window, door with windows, or other glass objects? For some odd reason, which no one could ever explain to me, glass window panes are sometimes prone to causing issues with wireless signals. Try for instance with an open window, and your wireless signal will weaken, close it, and it will reinforce itself again.

Let me know the outcome!

Kind regards,

Marinai
    MMO-C Servicedesk Analyst L2

(I'm actually an L2 at a servicedesk haha)

Deleted
    The routers WIFI channel was changed by my dad to Auto, but after he found out I was having issues, we tried putting it on all the different channels but the problem still remained sadly.
    My router is about a meter away from a Window, but the window isn't obstructing my computer so I can't see how it would be that that is causing the problem. I have an iPhone 3GS, which means I cannot get iOS7 which is required for the Wifi analyser app.

EDIT : I tried opening and closing the window whist doing speedtests and it had no effect.

Thanks,

To be honest, this requires analysis by termination.

First start by filtering the parts that are not the issue. To know what is and isn't part of the issue, start at the highest level possible. Connect your device to a physical cable to the router or modem. Reset the router/modem device by plugging out the power cable, wait ~1 minute (a hard reset usually requires more, but we can do a soft reset) and reboot your PC to make sure it receives a proper IP Address. Test this by browsing around a bit.

Perform all tests you previously did. Play some games, run speedtest.net before and after, download and upload some torrents, repeat. Just test this for a day or two. If the issues are the same, the problem lies with the modem or router, (the entry point of your connection to your house) or with the connection outside, which both are the responsibility of your ISP.

Making that direct connection will tell you whether your problem is with your home setup (wireless, or external devices) or with your ISP, one way or the other.

If the problem is within your home (a.k.a you have no problems with the direct wired connection), make sure you are the only one connected to the wireless and perform all tests again. No other wireless devices should be connected to your router/modem at this point, otherwise your test is polluted.

If you experience these issues again, it's either a problem with the modem/router, its configuration, or your PC/Laptop.
    - Try another laptop (borrow from a friend, or get your father to swap). If the issue persists on all machines, it's not your device, but the modem/router or its configuration.
    - If you're not savvy enough to get the modem/router properly configured, contact your ISP (assuming you're using their device) and place a warranty claim (Not familiar with the English terminology) . This forces them to either fix your problem, or replace the device.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2014-12-03 at 12:07 PM.

Deleted
    Ok thank you Vespian.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Throthnir View Post
    Ok thank you Vespian.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Good luck. I've had similar issues in the past, right around christmas and having shitty internet during Christmas sucks balls.