Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Best/Worst loot incidents in Raids.

What with personal loot becoming more the norm, loot fiascos in WoW are gradually becoming something rarely seen, so I thought I'd make a thread on the loot fiascos and incidents, good and bad, that you've seen over the last decade. I'll kick us off, but I bet there are people out there with far better stories, and I'd love to hear them:

1) "Class chest"

Classic, early BWL-era, we're pushing hard through BWL despite all sorts of silly business, and doing good. One of our raiders, long-established but a bit sketchy, insists on coming to raids on his Mage rather than his geared character (I forget what). Okay, fair enough. The Mage is in a mix of dungeon blues and quest/drop greens. Well, we say, he's kinda-sorta-not-really new-to-60, maybe it's fine. He comes on a few raids, his DPS is pretty weak, and his other play is too, but he's always been a member of the guild! We notice he refuses to spend DKP on a few nice purples that drop over the course of the raids, always claiming they're not big enough upgrades (despite our system being pretty generous on this).

Finally a good purple robe drops. All the clothies either have similar/better. All eyes fall on this Mage. He has a ton of DKP stashed, and surely this is good for him? He refuses it. The RL asks him what he's wearing. It's a level 35 Green. We are amazed.

Then he says that he absolutely refuses to spend DKP on the robe, or indeed any other gear, because he is saving up to ensure he is the first to get the T2 Mage "Class chest" (as he puts it). He is at 0/8 T2 (and indeed T1). Other Mages in the guild are 3/8 and 5/8, and neither has the chest.

The RL asks him why he is still in an L35 green chest, given the guild constantly runs people through dungeons, and he's often invited, and there are quests for better chests available.

The Mage explains that he is a good enough player that he doesn't need to upgrade his gear (uh, DPS meter begs to differ), and then, unprompted, explains that the other Mages are bad and don't deserve the T2 chest.

The RL assigns the chest to him, tells him to take it, don't worry about his DKP (which he does), then kicks him from the guild, then from the raid. There was much rejoicing!

2) "8/8"

Same era, indeed, only weeks later. We have a Dwarf Pally who is at every raid. He's a solid player, well known on the server, outspoken and a little rude but very funny. He's far into his T2 Pally set (which was awesome), and seems likely to be the first to hit 8/8 on the server. Once he got 4/8, the other Pallies started letting him get the other pieces, and the guild leadership let him get into a fair bit of DKP debt to do so. Everyone was cheering him on. Finally the last piece he needs drops (from one of our early Nef kills IIRC). We let him take it! He equips it, woot, 8/8, first full T2 Pally on the server. He parades around for us, we all take screenshots with him at the front of the raid and so on.

Then he tells us in guild chat that he's quitting. Not just the guild, which would be pretty bad, but quitting WoW entirely (to focus on PvP in some sketchy MMO which turned out to be dead by the end of the year), and was only staying until he got 8/8. Not only that, but he explains that he's selling his account, because we've made it very valuable, and thanks for that.

People are confused. Is he joking? It's his sort of joke. But he totally wasn't. Talk about a downer! And god, the other damn Pallies who gave up T2 pieces to him. He didn't even get gkicked - he left! And successfully sold the account, though who knows how long it lasted for (but Blizzard were less effective in dealing with that kind of thing back then).

Of course, six months or a year later, after the other MMO crashed and burned, when we're on AQ40, it turns out he's got a new account and is back playing WoW, and he thinks we should invite him back to the guild...

I was the last Hunter that needed the T2 helm off of Onyxia. It drops as does the Bloodfang helm. I win Dragonstalker helm.... go to loot the boss... Autoloot the whole thing! Blizzard fixed the problem within a few days but it was a fiasco.

Molten Core: Giantstalker pants dropped. I whispered my DKP, I know for a fact I have the most DKP I've been saving up. Some other Hunter gets it LITERALLY because she was a girl. That was the 100% reason, I confronted my GM about it and he said she had more DKP then me. Fucking scammers.

Deleted
    Molten core. Back then, people needed to train weapon skills, and being poor, I had no reason to train anything I did not need.

I mained a mage, and I really really really wanted the Azuresong Mageblade; a huge upgrade over my green staff.

Then, finally, it dropped and I received it. People congratulated me and encouraged me to equip it.

I had not learned the skill to use swords... guildmates kept picking at me for ages afterwards.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, good old autoloot. I would by lying if I said I hadn't had similar things happen, but I think they were all after loot became tradeable or something, because I don't remember having to get Blizzard involved.

As to the other incident, this is why DKP has to be transparent, openly posted and obvious to everyone (something I learned before WoW). The minute it's concealed or calculated in a way that isn't shown, people start getting favoured, either because the GM is a very sad case who think it will get a girl (or boy) to like him, or because the GM is best mates with some wanker, or even more exotic stuff, like the GM literally being bribed IRL (I know that happened in one guild on my server, later leading to a guildsplosion).