Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

Plus you need to have actual room to do it, the problem with critical thinking in school environments is the enevitable troop of tards that sit at the back and laugh or get angry when you say something even slightly controversial, there needs to be a strict atmosphere of respect when this takes place, otherwise you'll just get the kids who care, sitting there with their mouths shut.
    This, this and thousand times this. I get this awkward silence in my classes all the time, and I'm in last year of college for fuck's sake. I've debated this subject bajilion times with a lot of people who think like me and I just can't understand.

Why go throught the gauntlet of college just to experience the herd mentality, only absorbing information, never providing any challenge to teachers and other students?

I love to respond to the teachers (and to other students but it's a rare sight to actually see somebody else react to the teacher), and say my opinions when it's due. But it feels like I am the only one. Everybody else seems to be there for the diploma only, or I.. I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

Plus I'd say my English got better by reading stuff online, and playing games like WoW, the internet is truly enlightening if you can find the right parts.
    I basically learned English online. Now I have several courses, certificates and never actually studied.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Some of those "absurd claims" are actually partially true.

Drugs which combat cancer tend to aggressively attack healthy cells as well, so it's not entirely wrong to make an assertion that said drugs may kill you before the cancer does. That being said, cancer does kill eventually.
    Yep, the drugs could technically kill you just because of the way they work, they "target" fast reproducing cells be it good or bad cells and because of that you could die from an excessive bleeding Ulcer in the stomach/throat caused by the therapy.

That said I do believe critical thinking needs to be focused on a lot more in schools(possibly common sense as well if it could be taught).
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyna View Post
    This, this and thousand times this. I get this awkward silence in my classes all the time, and I'm in last year of college for fuck's sake. I've debated this subject bajilion times with a lot of people who think like me and I just can't understand.

Why go throught the gauntlet of college just to experience the herd mentality, only absorbing information, never providing any challenge to teachers and other students?

I love to respond to the teachers (and to other students but it's a rare sight to actually see somebody else react to the teacher), and say my opinions when it's due. But it feels like I am the only one. Everybody else seems to be there for the diploma only, or I.. I just don't know.

I basically learned English online. Now I have several courses, certificates and never actually studied.
    I rarely ever engaged with lecturers unless they initiated it, the material wasn't really challenging from a basic concept standpoint (which is the point of lectures). I'd imagine a lot of people think along those lines, "I get all this" and don't need to ask questions. The problems arise when people think that the concepts discussed in short during lectures are the entirety of what's expected in assessments.

Others are just there for a diploma, because we've created an economy based on degrees where you must have one to get a mediocre office job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Yep, the drugs could technically kill you just because of the way they work, they "target" fast reproducing cells be it good or bad cells and because of that you could die from an excessive bleeding Ulcer in the stomach/throat caused by the therapy.

That said I do believe critical thinking needs to be focused on a lot more in schools(possibly common sense as well if it could be taught).
    Because oncologists are unaware of this fact :P

No, the claim originates from the fact that almost all cancer patients die whilst receiving treatment. This makes sense, as people usually want to take all measures to stay alive even in the face of almost certain death. The cancer beats them in the end, but they just don't refuse treatment in the hope of surviving.