Changed the Refresh Rate. Good or Bad?

Hey all

I play WoD on a laptop and the FPS gets choppy at times but it's usually playable. Today I checked the FPS while playing WoW and I was shocked to see that it said 40-50, while in reality I was around 15-20. I couldn't judge exactly how much I had but it was clearly not what the info told me. I tried thinking what could be causing it, and looked at settings. My Refresh Rate was at 50hz, at it's always been. I'd never changed it, and didn't know if I should. Frankly I don't know much about refresh rate aside from the short tooltip it gave me, but I tried setting it to 60hz (50 and 60 being the only two I can choose) and my FPS rose to the correct number.

Problem solved? I don't know. I wanted to make sure I wasn't dooming myself so I googled refresh rates and whatnot, and one result said that it should match your monitor's refresh rate, or you're going to get problems. I found out how to find my monitor info, and it was at 50hz. Strangely enough, I could set it to 60hz, and I did -thinking it'd be better, just like WoW seemingly was.

It's still working fine, but I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure, so I'm asking y'all tech experts. Was this a bumbling maneuver that's utterly terrible and I don't know what I'm doing, or was this a bumbling maneuver of a good idea, and I still don't know what I'm doing? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The 50Hz is usually a power saving thing. It shouldn't matter other than some power consumption.

Power saving? Gee, I knew I had no idea what it did, lol. Thanks for the response. Any idea why it was giving me faulty FPS readings if both WoW and the monitor were set to 50Hz? Just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boomking View Post
    Power saving? Gee, I knew I had no idea what it did, lol. Thanks for the response. Any idea why it was giving me faulty FPS readings if both WoW and the monitor were set to 50Hz? Just curious.
    It shouldn't, but I barely mess around with it on my laptop to begin with. I just keep it at 50Hz when it's unplugged and 60Hz when it's plugged into the power.

Are you using integrated / APU or dedicated? Maybe update the driver.

i read something a 100 years ago that said 85 refreshrate was good for some reason...but i notice that depending on factors i've not researched(drivers....monitor type...not sure) you don't always get that option.... but for laptops it makes sense to have a slower refresh rate would save battery time....

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the 85Hz refresh rate has to do with CRTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It shouldn't, but I barely mess around with it on my laptop to begin with. I just keep it at 50Hz when it's unplugged and 60Hz when it's plugged into the power.

Are you using integrated / APU or dedicated? Maybe update the driver.
    The graphics card? Integrated, it's an Intel HD Graphics 4000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boomking View Post
    The graphics card? Integrated, it's an Intel HD Graphics 4000.
    Yeah, integrated graphics. Maybe try to update the drivers. That or it just hates people or the game disagrees.