Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Australian Target Stores Pull GTA V Because it Depicts Sexual Violence

http://www.pcgamer.com/australian-re...ence-petition/

"It's a game that encourages players to murder women for entertainment," the description reads. "The incentive is to commit sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'health' points – and now Target are stocking it and promoting it for your Christmas stocking. - an excerpt from the petition.
    “We are disappointed that an Australian retailer has chosen no longer to sell Grand Theft Auto V -- a title that has won extraordinary critical acclaim and has been enjoyed by tens of millions of consumers around the world," Zelnick (President of Take-Twon, which owns Rockstar) said.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Anyone who bitchs about a M rated game even more so one they will never play or even more so if they don't play games at all are really stupid.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Anyone who bitchs about a M rated game even more so one they will never play or even more so if they don't play games at all are really stupid.
    So, utilizing your right of free speech makes you stupid?

I know this is all pretty silly (don't like it? Don't buy it), but some people really are convinced that the only way to keep their kids safe is to keep games like GTA off of the shelves.

Is this the shit where they changed the rating law for this to be 18+ so it can't be sold to kids but people sent around bullshit to stir up drama so it got tossed anyhow?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I know this is all pretty silly (don't like it? Don't buy it), but some people really are convinced that the only way to keep their kids safe is to keep games like GTA off of the shelves.
    No utilizing ur right of free speech to ban something just because you don't like it is stupid.

Also there is far worse things out in the world then GTA and there kids are exposed to them everyday. Also studies even prove games don't make bad kids.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

How the hell did you get that? Did you just stop reading three words into JT's post?
    These people should not breed. Monitoring your childrens' media intake is very simple. I'm not talking about preventing them from playing games, I'm talking about sitting down and talking with the damn kids about what they are playing. You get a child to understand the difference between fantasy and reality early and you will save yourself a lot of headaches later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Is this the shit where they changed the rating law for this to be 18+ so it can't be sold to kids but people sent around bullshit to stir up drama so it got tossed anyhow?
    In short yes.

Long answer is yessssssss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How the hell did you get that? Did you just stop reading three words into JT's post?

These people should not breed. Monitoring your childrens' media intake is a very simple. I'm not talking about preventing them from playing games, I'm talking about sitting down and talking with the damn kids about what they are playing. You get a child to understand the difference between fantasy and reality early and you will save yourself a lot of headaches later.
    Could not agree more. My 12 year old nephew plays COD and has played Gears of War. He understands that is a video game and not Real Life.

Parents blame everyone but themselves for there kids. There is only small moments where it is someone else's fault and none of those moments is because of games.

I see nothing wrong with a 10+ year old playing a M rated title as long as its explained to them. They will hear and see a lot worse in schools and hanging out with friends. You can't get rid of this kind of thing but u can control it and teach them the difference.

TLDR: Jack Thompson was talking the wrong approach in trying to get rid of GTA.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2014-12-04 at 01:32 AM.

It's an R18+ rated game. It should not be sold to children, or purchased for children.

That said, target has a right to decide what they do and do not sell. This comment on this article is interesting, however:

They had the option to have some debates with industry leaders in interactive entertainment in Australia. Yet they didn't.

Whilst I whole heartedly agree with preventing violence against women, the women saying the game "promotes" violence and/or sexual violence towards women have clearly never played it.

Given there is a scene in which you torture a man in the game, why is that considered ok? Is it that men can handle torture and women can't?? There are no female military or police officers in the game, also not discussed. There are sexist stand points all over GTA, most are deliberate because it's a very satirical game.

The fact that this game has been out for over a year now, and it's the ~12th game branded with a GTA title almost makes this argument redundant.

Some are saying Target has made an admirable move by addressing violence against women over profits, yet the bulk of money R* and Target made with GTA V would have come and gone already. This looks to me like a "we're the good guys here" PR stunt that achieves very little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same thing i said in the gen-OT thread, i find it strange they choose to focus on that as a reason in a game where you waterboard a guy strapped to a chair and pulls his tooths out with pliers.

The game is actually rated R18 here in australia, so it's even more stupid that they removed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didnt remove it to keep it out of the hands of children, they were already doing it. They removed it to keep it out of the hands of adults. These wackjob leftists actually believe playing a game with violence towards a female will cause people to start being violent towards women in real life. It is the most idiotic bullshit, with 0 reputable research to back it up.

But that is the political climate today, you can get anything banned if you scream Women's rights loudly enough.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    They didnt remove it to keep it out of the hands of children, they were already doing it. They removed it to keep it out of the hands of adults. These wackjob leftists actually believe playing a game with violence towards a female will cause people to start being violent towards women in real life. It is the most idiotic bullshit, with 0 reputable research to back it up.

But that is the political climate today, you can get anything banned if you scream Women's rights loudly enough.
    Can I get rid of the crazy feminists by screaming women's rights loudly enough?

The thinkprogress story on this is just sad, very very sad. What happened to "liberals"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TLDR: Jack Thompson was talking the wrong approach in trying to get rid of GTA.
    Edge, if you really analyze what Jack thompson wanted is not something that far fetched, he only wants to prohibit selling this kind of games to minor aged ones, the reasons that he uses that games promote violence and that kind of behavior is stupid but he doesn't go against freedom of speech, in this case feminism is censoring a game due to them not liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    The thinkprogress story on this is just sad, very very sad. What happened to "liberals"?
    They're only liberalists when you play their music, paint their art and play their game, anything outside that is a no-no, liberitarian authoritarism at its finest
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Edge, if you really analyze what Jack thompson wanted is not something that far fetched, he only wants to prohibit selling this kind of games to minor aged ones, the reasons that he uses that games promote violence and that kind of behavior is stupid but he doesn't go against freedom of speech, in this case feminism is censoring a game due to them not liking it.
    There is an age limit on the game, blame the parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

According to IGN, now kmart australia is following target and pulling GTA V off of shelves...wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steth View Post
    According to IGN, now kmart australia is following target and pulling GTA V off of shelves...wow...
    Pity, it probably won't even make it to PC there.... guess you'll just have to get a someone to send it to you on steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Pity, it probably won't even make it to PC there.... guess you'll just have to get a someone to send it to you on steam.
    GTA V isn't banned in Australia as far as I know. I doubt Valve would take it down from Australia unless the government decides to ban it. Unfortunately, retailers such as Target and Kmart of Australia are bending over to a petition of a vocal minority.